SASS Wire Forum

Favorite .44 mag double action?

Dantankerous

4 hours ago, Go West said:

My first cowboy gun was a Ruger Bisley in .44 mag. and later bought another to start CAS. Stout loads were no issue. Sold them off to buy others years ago. I had the itch for a S&W 629 last year and bought a 4"...I think the looks make it the choice. 

Agree. The 4" Smith is eye candy.

Handled a Smith 329Pd today. Wow! Incredibly lightweight. A very nice revolver. Not old school, pre-lock nice, but well balanced and put together handsomely.

The gun store employee, an older feller I've known for years, an old school gun-guy himself, did offer that he had shot one. And it hurt. He is a self-admitted recoil masochist but the 329 was a bit too much. 44 Specials all day long, no problem. But anything like 240 grain standard 44 mag loads on up start at brutal and get worse.

I thanked him for the advice. ;)

The only double action 44 mag I own is a Redhawk it’s been in the bottom of my safe in the box unfired with the cylinder unturned for at least the last ten years.

I'm shooting a Mod 69 S & W 44. It is a L (K) Frame gun, holds only 5 rounds. I don't really care for the big N frame for plinking and have been happy with this 69. Shoot mostly mid range 44 mags. Sgt Eli did some tuning and I've also been inside polishing and puttiing some Powers parts in place.  It's my shooter for when I don't feel like picking up brass. 

Hmmmmmmm.

Found this today locally. Pre lock SW 29-3. $875.00. Great condition. Not an easy carry gun but like I said, hmmmmm. ;)

IMG_7096-scaled.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Hmmmmmmm.

Found this today locally. Pre lock SW 29-3. $875.00. Great condition. Not an easy carry gun but like I said, hmmmmm. ;)

IMG_7096-scaled.jpg

Nothing wrong with that one , Dantankerous. A 4" would be a bit handier , but this one is not bad. I like the older Smiths like this one myself.

Rex , who has a blue 29-2 , 6 1/2" , since 1978. :D

PWB,

Although I ain't as much of a revolver shooter as I use to be, THOSE are the pistols that make going into a gunshop worthwhile.

I mean, if you've seen 1 Glock, you've basically seen em all.   But not so with a beautiful S&W revolver, especially like those two.

We can whoop out fine .22 pistols from Volquartsen, Tandemcross, Ruger, Browning, High Standard, etc...... around our shooting

Pards and there is some drooling from some.   BUT, let somebody whoop out a classic like those and EVERYBODY wants to 

handle them and asking to shoot them.

I wouldn't be surprised as to how you spent your Stimulus bucks..... :D

Probably the same as I spent mine..... ;)

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Hmmmmmmm.

IMG_7096-scaled.jpg

That's not a bad price, looks like it's in great shape! Here in Ohio you need at least a 5" barrel to hunt with, so if I ever go handgun hunting I'd want that barrel length.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk and a Smith 629. Both are excellent revolvers; I really only shoot them single action, so you might consider that the Ruger's internals are cast, and really can't be stoned  to improve the trigger pull. A Wolff spring kit will do wonders, but right out of the box the Smith single action pull really couldn't be any better. I understand that the Smith internals were forged, and could be worked, but I don't know if that's still the case. 

I load on the warm side, so I find it necessary to wear shooting gloves to prevent blisters, with both revolvers. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I have no experience with any other makers.

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

PLZ, tell me about the grips on the 4".

OLG 

Pachmayr DIAMOND PRO grips (on it when I bought it) .

Very comfortable in the hand and excellent recoil absorption.

Archived