SASS Wire Forum

Sheriff's Model Options?

Cholla Hill Tirador

My 85 year old dad has decided he MUST have a 3 1/2" Sheriff's Model 45 Colt with a birdshead grip for his nightstand. He doesn't care if it's new or used.

He really wants one without an ejector rod, but I think I can get around that with him.

So what options are out there? Seems all the manufacturers have different clever names for their sheriff's models, making it a little difficult to search them. 

Thanks in advance,

Cholla

When he says birdshead grip, does he mean a true birdshead like those mentioned above or a Thunderer grip, which is often called a birdshead?

You can actually get exactly what he wants, but you would have to swap gripframes.  Dixie carries a 3" ejectorless model, but only with plowhandle grip:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8789/category_id/319/product_name/CR0654+UBERTI+1873+CATTLEMAN+SHERIFF+NEW+MOD

Abilene's is the only one without an ejector rod, but it doesn't have the birdshead grip. I guess you can always buy a birdshead grip frame.

By definition, as defined by Colt, a Sheriff's model does not have an ejector.   Barrel length means nothing.  All Colt Sheriff's models, be they over 50 years old or made yesterday, are C&R eligible as long as they are .44 or .45 caliber.  

Finding one with birds head grips may be difficult.  I've never seen one.  But, you could probably get after market grips for them.

Were I making a recommendation (and I am), I's suggest a hard look at the short barrel Pietta offerings at EMF.  I'm not a fan at all of the "Birdshead" style of grip assembly but I am a BIG fan of the "Thunderer" style.  And I'd stump for an Ejector Rod.

Archived