SASS Wire Forum

Is a '97 worth it for a beginner?

Big Hand Zack

My normal match shotgun is a hammered double it seems strange to shoot any double without hammers. That said I do enjoy shooting my 97 but don't use it enough to be consistent on how I load it. This year I am going to try and have fun with an 87 definitely going to be a challenge as if shooting Frontiersman is not enough. Best to try shooting as many as you can before you buy and see what you are most comfortable shooting.

Hochbauer

Started with a double, very soon went to a 97 for 5 or 6 years and had plenty of train wrecks and went back to a sxs last year and glad I did. But that's just my .02 worth.

While the design dates from 1893/1897 they were built until September of 1957. Winchester sold shy of a million. Find a decent modern double, remove the auto ejectors if it’s got them and try that for a while. Then borrow a 97 a few times, if you like it better than the double buy one. I started with Marlins, tried an 1887, a stoeger coach double and finally bought a mismatched 97 and then a 12. My favorite is still my Marlin 24 [legal at my club’s monthly shoots] with the 97 trench 2nd.  8531F2F1-7529-453A-AAB2-47124718CBAF.jpeg.58993bb39c77fa432119e71545d583a9.jpeg

Archived