SASS Wire Forum

Bass Pro strangling Cabela's?

Matthew Duncan

Last week we drove down to Georgia to visit family.  

I noticed one of the three Cabela's we drive pass was closed, all lettering was removed from the store front and signs.  Across the Interstate was a Bass Pro.

I wanted to stock up on 9mm for the 2020 season.  Cabela's online have no bulk 9mm and only a few defensive loads.  Bass Pro online had one bulk selection and a larger selection of defensive loads.

Today I received a Cabela's email, 10% off on purchases today plus free shipping on orders over $50.  The only rimfire ammo Cabela's has is 22 Mag.  Bass Pro has a large (considering the times) 22 LR selection.

When Bass Pro bought out Cabela's they said there would be no changes.  I figured that meant no changes until the bean counters had completed their audit.  I hadn't thought (or hoped) the "no change" change would have happen this quick.

I'm sitting on $150.00 in gift cards. The prices are so bad now that I can't make myself spend the money. 

Now the 10% off Tuesday no longer includes ammo .  Cabelas had quality button shirts that last and hold their shape but I can't find them anymore,  all I find is the cheap wrinkly redhead bass pro sells.  I miss the old Cabelas.   

15 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm sitting on $150.00 in gift cards. The prices are so bad now that I can't make myself spend the money. 

Sawmill Mary was given a Cabela's gift card.  She walked around the store an hour and couldn't find anything to spend it on.  We later took it to Bass Pro as they are closer and they converted it to a Bass Pro card.  I think she bought some little something but still has the balance.   I looked at shotgun shells and reloading supplies but can get a better deal a Grafs or MidwayUSA.  

As soon as Johnny Morris, Bass Pro owner, bought Cabelas, the die was cast. It is only a matter of time before Cabelas will be gone. Cabelas prices have gone up, selection of merchandise gone down and name recognition is becoming smaller. Sad deal!

I used to really like Cabela's, but it seems like after the sale customer service and selection and quality of the products have gone way down and prices way up.

At Christmas my bonus from work was a Cabela's gift card and if it wasn't for the fact they had a Marlin I wanted I don't think I could have found anything I wanted.

The worst part was it was sold as "used" , still had tags on it and the box, but had to pay new price.

But I don't think they will disappear though, the masses are trained to think they have great products.

I have given up on both of those stores.  The last time I went into both, one in AZ and the other in another state, the staff was just rude and knew nothing about their products.  God Bless the Mom and Pop stores! 

I used to own Cabela's stock before the merge.  When I invest in a stock, I research it thoroughly, so I read their annual report.  They found that building new Cabela's stores, which they were investing heavily in at the time (2015), did not bring any new customers.  It merely poached in-store customers from existing stores.  So it ended up being a waste of money to build new stores at all.  Internet sales were bringing in the new customers, not physical stores.

Given the business model for both Bass Pro and Cabela's, I imagine it is a similar problem between both labels.  Admittedly my data is 5 years old (I sold the stock so I no longer bother reading their annual report), but I would guess the problem is the expense of having physical stores  versus internet sales is not bringing in new customers.  

I formerly used Cabelas on the River is Wisconsin. It was a well run, pleasant place to visit. It now has the same crummy clerical service and low quality run of the mill goods as Bass Pro Shops so I no longer shop in them.  :angry:

I actually shopped in Gander Mountain when it was a ski shop in Wilmot, Wisconsin.   :rolleyes:

I stopped using Cabela's when they started advertising sales for stuff they didn't stock and wouldn't provide rain checks.  I've found I can get shotgun shells at my local gun shop for just about what I can get it for online.  A lot more convenient too.

I went into Cabelas a few times when they were new, and I bought a really great 12'x20' Alaknak outfitters tent there that we have used for 13 years in Winter XC ski camps. But I never particularly liked the show-biz atmosphere and bought very little else there.

When Bass opened here two or three years back I've ended up going quite a bit. I buy the Herter's ammo frequently, as the mark has good prices. (I understand Cabelas/Bass owns Herter's). I bought a Browning 'BAR' there a few months back, and I have bought a lot of Red Head stuff, mostly summer shirts and pants, light stuff, and I like it.

18 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I have given up on both of those stores.  The last time I went into both, on in AZ and the other in another state, the staff was just rude and knew nothing about their products.  God Bless the Mom and Pop stores! 

+10000 on the LGS, Mom and Pop stores!

19 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

....and Herter's too.

I could spend hours a year with the Herter's catalog.

Bass Pro has really messed up Cabela's. The store north of me used to have a full parking lot. Now anytime you go past there...before the virus...can't blame it on that...the parking lot is only half full...if that. Quality of a lot of clothing has gone down.Prices have gone up. I don't do near the business there that I used to do.The Bargain Cave is a joke compared to what it used to be.

I heard Sydney, Nebraska is very depressed economically.  I didn't care for BPS before and less now.  I found their products poorly made and not appropriate for the season.  I went in last fall expecting to find a winter jacket.  Not a single one in the store.  Not even ski wear.

I find the same thing has happened with Gander/Camping World.  I will look for a different company to buy my sporting goods from.  I'm already set for ammo and accessories.

24 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I heard Sydney, Nebraska is very depressed economically.  I didn't care for BPS before and less now.  I found their products poorly made and not appropriate for the season.  I went in last fall expecting to find a winter jacket.  Not a single one in the store.  Not even ski wear.

I find the same thing has happened with Gander/Camping World.  I will look for a different company to buy my sporting goods from.  I'm already set for ammo and accessories.

The Sidney store was the Flagship store, it's now near death. BPS is shutting down the distribution center there also. 

I don't know if it's due to the change in internet sales vs. walk in business. The aquariums are gone, many of the mounts have been dispersed to other stores.

The town of Sidney is dying a slow death. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a house Sidney is the place to go, and it's centrally located.

I always thought if Cabelas, in Sidney, opened a large shooting center it would be the ideal location for national level events. They have many restaurants and lodging there also.

My Dad, my brother and myself used to buy lures and tackle from Johnny Morris when he used to drive around Beaver Lake near Rogers Arkansas and sell lures and tackle from a trailer he towed along behind him. Seemed like a really nice fella. This was back in 1972. 

Years later...2003. I go to the big Bass Pro in Springfield MO and learn of Johnny Morris’ accomplishments.  I am amazed at 
In 2005 I move to Concord NC and buy a house about 3.5 miles from Bass Pro near the Charlotte Motor Speedway. My wife swears we moved there just because of Bass Pro. It becomes my favorite place to go and I spend lots of money there.

It is there I learn of Johnny Morris’ opinions on guns. From what I understand he apparently thinks the 2nd Amendment only covers hunting arms and he would only sell handguns that police might use (in a very limited selection) or those that hunters might use.
This is my opinion from input I received over the years from BP employees and news I have read. If my opinion is wrong, I would happily change it if someone can prove otherwise. 

In 2010 I moved to Elk Grove CA near Sacramento. This is where I get to go to Cabela’s in Reno and there is a Bass Pro in Manteca $&@#ed place for a Bass Pro. 
Over a 3 year period I realize that I like Cabela’s much much more than Bass Pro. 

In 2013 I moved to Oregon. Cabela’s put a store in Tualatin, OR. It becomes my favorite place to go. I eventually get a Cabela’s Club card, much to my wife’s chagrin, and I purchase a lot of stuff at Cabela’s. I completely put BP out of my mind. 

Then one day I heard about Bass Pro buying Cabela’s. Soon after all the really cool things I liked about Cabela’s went away.

B-Ass Pro took away:

Veteran’s discounts on guns & ammo. 
They reformulated Gun Library buying / selling policies, essentially killing the Gun Library. 
Trigger locks went on everything. 
They literally removed over half of all the gun related accessories and reloading stuff. 
They made the fishing section over twice it’s original size and they stocked lots of bass fishing gear. (The morons didn’t research much or they would have realized that there is no real good place to fish for Bass in the Great American Northwest. The BP brain trust must all hale from the Southeast. 
The moron-ification of Cabela’s Tualatin store was complete once nearly all the Cabela’s employees quit because of all the stupid new policies and the BP employees took over. The Cabela’s in Springfield OR went through the same crap. 

Bass Pro ruined Cabela’s. 
Bass Pro can kiss my arse. 
I will not buy anything from them. 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, in 2018 I noticed Cabela’s doing a little trick Bass Pro used to to. They up their prices on future sale items then a month later put them “On Sale” at the prices they were before. 
I guess the sh**birds at BP loved the strategy of Big Brother in 1984. 
In a nutshell:

Reduce the chocolate ration from 30 to 25 grams per week. Tell everyone the ration has been raised from 20 grams to 25 grams a week.

No, Bass Pro can kiss my butt. They ruined Cabela’s. I prefer my LGS and Amazon. 

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

The town of Sidney is dying a slow death. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a house Sidney is the place to go, and it's centrally located.

Really? Centrally located for what? :D

In my own case I've just used these various stores for this and that. Like probably a lot of pards, if I go to Bass or anyplace else, large or small, I look at the ammo shelves and pick up a box of one caliber on another when the price is good. I haven't really got any store loyalty.

Gun sales at Bass are getting to be a PITA like most big stores. Take a number; indifferent staff, etc. Of all the chains, the one I've had the most pleasant gun purchasing experiences with has been Big5. Of course, they have very limited selection and no handguns, but they have some good journeyman rifles and shotguns on good sales frequently. Their sales staff claim no firearms expertise. This great, because they are friendly and sell you what you want, and don't pontificate.

I, too, try to buy mostly at the locals.

It was a "Vulture Capitalist" that forced the sale of Cabela's to Bass Pro.  He saw that Cabela's stock was under valued & bought enough that he could force a hostile takeover or convince the Cabela's BOD that selling was an offer they couldn't refuse.  He made quick millions.  It pains me the guy is whale among donors to Republicans.

When I lived in SF East Bay I would visit relatives in Washoe Valley (between Reno & Carson City).  I remember after the Cabela's in Verdi opened.  The parking lot was always full on weekends with cars & pickup trucks with CA plates.  When I retired I moved to the "Oasis of Nevada" & my relatives moved to CA.  When Bass Pro opened their store in Rocklin CA the parking lot has a lot few vehicles. 

I have noticed that there is more fishing gear since the Bass Pro ownership.  I didn't buy a firearm from the Manteca CA Bass Pro when I lived in the East Bay; but I did notice the gun counter was always crowded on weekends.  I bought a pic rail for an AR from the Rocklin Bass Pro.  It was a rip off but I didn't want to wait for Amazon Prime 2 day delivery to mount some accessory on one of my uppers.  It was to late in the day to make it to Sparks before Sheels closes.  Sheels doesn't have the largest selection of firearms but no other Big Box Sporting Goods or LGS can beat their reloading equipment & supplies.  Scheels is not where to go to find bargains; but everything is top shelf.  You want to go into a store & walk out with a XL750 go to Scheels.  Actually in Northern NV the biggest selection of firearms is in a LGS in a strip mall storefront in Carson City.  There are glass cases full of handguns & optics along 3 of the 4 walls & long guns hanging on the same 3 walls to the ceiling.  It is a satellite location of a LGS in Elk Grove CA.

P.S. Since, 2014 I have only bought boots, jeans, shorts, shirts, on sale primers & other shooting accessories from Cabela's.  I mostly have purchased related items from Scheels & Outdoor Sportsman or a LGS.

Back in the 60’s, 1960’s we lived in a small town near Scottsbluff, Nebraska and we had a lot of family down around Holyoke, Colorado. The best part of the road trips down to Holyoke was stopping at the Cabelas in Sidney, Nebraska. My stepdad loved that place and I grew to love it too. If I remember correctly the store was in downtown Sidney. It wasn’t anything like the Cabelas that replaced it but it was quite a place. My ex father in law did some taxidermy work for some of the Cabelas family members in the 50’s and 60’s.

I realize many of you will never be in Walker, Minnesota but there is a great sporting goods store there. Reed's. They also have a Gunbroker store. Northern Minnesota is a sportsman's paradise and they know it. Great service, decent prices, HUGE selection of goodies...

This place has everything. Well, perhaps excepting O2 tanks for ascending Mt. Everest.

A great place to visit and shop and spend money.

That being attested to... another fun gun place to visit and drool in is the Sportsman's Warehouse in Cheyenne, WY.  A veritable cornucopia of good stuff there.

I think another strong reason why Cabela's sold was to settle the estate of the founder and his wife.  After Dick and his wife passed, none of the kids had that kind of money to buyout the rest of the family or take a position large enough to control the company.  The vulture capitalists probably had a heavy hand in the transaction but who could blame the family?  Wave that kind of money under their nose?  Sell it.  I would.  BP found after the deal was done that they had grossly over paid.  I still won't go there.  

I have been in a Bass Pro Outlet only once. That was in Springfield, Missouri while attending a Army reunion.

Was not much impressed, but at the time there was a number of Sports Outlets in operation around 

the country. I used Cabela's for most of my on line and telephone buying. After the merger, I noticed a decay

in the flavor of dealing with Cabela's. I doubt that BPS has anything in stock that I can't live without.

13 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I think another strong reason why Cabela's sold was to settle the estate of the founder and his wife.  After Dick and his wife passed, none of the kids had that kind of money to buyout the rest of the family or take a position large enough to control the company.  The vulture capitalists probably had a heavy hand in the transaction but who could blame the family?  Wave that kind of money under their nose?  Sell it.  I would.  BP found after the deal was done that they had grossly over paid.  I still won't go there.  

The family was working on backing to buy Cabela’s but BPS got it done first.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I miss Gander Mountain when they were just a mail-order outfit. 

Gander used to be a great company. I worked for them as a gunsmith in the 90’s , opened the new stores in Madison Wi and Saginaw Mi . They grew the retail too fast for their own good, started hiring too many people with too little knowledge of the outdoors, hunting and fishing. Even separated the catalogue business and retail . I ended up getting out in 96 before the completely went downhill.

It was a real shame they were really building something for a while. As a gunsmith it offered something you didn’t get many places. A 401k and medical insurance. 

Archived