SASS Wire Forum

Whats a Barbecue Gun Where You Come From?

47 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Let me get this straight.  You go to a family BBQ with a loaded fancy pistol on your person and someone wants to inspect it and the first thing out of your mouth is "Hold my Beer".  What could possibly go wrong?:wacko:

Where in this thread (besides your post) is there any mention of letting somebody inspect your gun, or of beer?

18 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

20200512_014357.jpg.974c3866feb6f5116c85c86f1920d168.jpg

Engraving?

We don't need no stinking engraving. 

How do they get the smoke to travel horizontal, and then out through the muzzle?

10 hours ago, levi littleton said:

Understandable......when you are from CA, TN or AK what might be acceptable as a so called BBQ gun even when they clearly aint :) 

Kind of elitist, don’t you think??  If it weren’t for Tennessee, there wouldn’t even be a Texas!! <_< :rolleyes: :lol:

Everyone I’ve ever talked to about Barbecue guns, including many Texans, has said that their BBQ guns were meant to be worn on special occasions and to be carried openly!!

We’ll agree to disagree!!

9 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

...Everyone I’ve ever talked to about Barbecue guns, including many Texans, has said that their BBQ guns were meant to be worn on special occasions and to be carried openly!!

Kinda exactly how I heard it, about BBQ guns.

No one around my parts wears a BBQ gun at a party/gathering. But, when I visit friends in Texas there are ALWAYS fellers strapped with something purdy and drool-overable.

Just curious...

If'n it was just hot dogs being cooked over a grill, and not even the all beef dogs, would a plain ole Glock count as a BBQ gun?

:blink::D

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Just curious...

If'n it was just hot dogs being cooked over a grill, and not even the all beef dogs, would a plain ole Glock count as a BBQ gun?

:blink::D

I don't think any pistol that risks melting if you stand too close to the grill should be considered a BBQ gun, but that's just me. I won't even touch on the discussion of "grilling out" or "cooking out" and 'barbecuing."

BBQ Glock. Oops.

proxy-image(4).jpg

I have two BBQ guns in the works:  a pair of Uberti 1860 civilian-style (tree screw frames, no cutouts for stocks) Army revolvers.  Waiting on Eagle Grips to finish "one piece ivory" grips for them and founs am  an locally who will do some scrimshaw work on the grips.  Back straps and trigger guards are jewelry quality polished jewelry bronze.

I already received Rick Bachman tooled holsters with wedding band patterns and a matching gun belt with a Will Ghormley white bronze oval buckle (to match the trigger guards and back straps on the belt.

Not  as fancy as some folks' guns, but I'm not all that fancy a man, either. :P  I figure nearly $3,000.00 will speak for itself.

I'll add pictures when I get it all together.  It's taking somewhat longer than I anticipated.

18 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Please tell me that ain't chicken on the grill??? . . . where's the meat?

Chicken schmikken.

He's got the right beer!

:D

6 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I never saw it before.  I figured it was a sody pop. 

Looks like a Rainier beer. Had it up in Washington State, it's OK. Tastes like beer.

It's always been my impression that a BBQ gun is something rich folks (or at least those that like to pretend they are) like to wear to a cookout with their rich (or wannabe) friends to show off. I don't hang out with that crowd, my BBQ gun would be more like UB's or maybe a Vaquero or a beat up OM Blackhawk, whatever I happen to be carrying when I'm cooking. Not a term that gets bandied around a lot in my circle.

JHC :lol:

On 5/12/2020 at 5:33 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

These are my BBQ guns.  Worn in a double Huckleberry rig over a black double breasted vest, with or without coat or jacket.

French Grey barrels and loading levers, color case frames, blued engraved cylinders, nickel grip frames and trigger guards, carved walnut grips with oak leaves and acorns, and all fire blued screws.

We will add engine turned, (damascened) hammers and gold plated triggers when I can get 'em back to Willy McCoy!!

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

First you tell me about them and then you post pics.  You just can't wait to get my goat, can ya?   Dang show off.  :P  :D

On 5/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Fence Cutter said:

Smoke travels both vertical and horizontal.

Smoke travels right in my face, no matter where I stand. :lol:

Closest we can get to a BBQ gun up here in Canada!

I was BBQ'ing burgers for the posse's lunch when my turn to shoot came up.

Cowboy Action 001.JPG

Closeup. Of the gun. Not the beer. :P

RetirementGift (300x215).jpg

17 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Looks like a Rainier beer. Had it up in Washington State, it's OK. Tastes like beer.

That's always a plus for beer.

17 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Not my fave..... But for the pic, with my badge, Longmire hat, and 1911, I thought it appropriate. :lol:

15 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Walt Longmire would clock you for that remark. ;)

LL

Yeah well longmire thinks there's only one gun in his state that fires 45-70 and it's an antique sharps because they haven't made them in 100 years.  I'd clock him right back.  I think I gave it 2 episodes but I couldn't get past that one because the entire case solve was based on that clue. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Yeah well longmire thinks there's only one gun in his state that fires 45-70 and it's an antique sharps because they haven't made them in 100 years.  I'd clock him right back.  I think I gave it 2 episodes but I couldn't get past that one because the entire case solve was based on that clue. 

Yes. That episode was dumb but I still really liked the series. Haven't seen the final year yet.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Too bad. It’s a good series imho.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

That's always a plus for beer.

Was in port in Jamaica on a cruise once, and all they were pulling was Jamaican Red Stripe. A guy from another ship was asking me if it was good, I was like it's not bad, tastes like beer. "Oh, hope it don't give us the sh*ts!"

11 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Was in port in Jamaica on a cruise once, and all they were pulling was Jamaican Red Stripe. A guy from another ship was asking me if it was good, I was like it's not bad, tastes like beer. "Oh, hope it don't give us the sh*ts!"

Red Stripe - headache in a bottle. 

The first time I heard the term “Bar-B-Que Gun” I was in 6th grade and we lived in Carlsbad, NM. We got invited to a neighbor’s house for a party and all the men seemed to have a BBQ gun and they were carrying them in the open. Those fellas had some nice guns. There were various revolvers and a couple 1911’s. Mostly revolvers and most of those revolvers had barrels longer than 4”. This was 1971. Way before 1911s had become as popular as they are today (in some circles)..

The gun that impressed me most that day was a Ruger Blackhawk (I figured this out much later). It was the blackest “blued” Gun I had ever seen. It had some gold inlay work and had ivory grips. The barrel had been shortened. It was a beautiful gun. 

The gun I have carried at BBQs is a Smith & Wesson 442. It was not proudly displayed as I didn’t want anyone to know I had it. These “BBQ’s” were not in places I would normally go. They were in inner-city parks in gang infested neighborhoods. The “BBQs” were work related events in Los Angeles. 

Now, if I wanted to put together a “Barbecue Gun” I would emulate the coolest one I saw in Carlsbad as a kid. I would probably go with a Ruger BlackHawk in .45 Colt with a short barrel, some tasteful engraving and some light colored grips to accent the deep blue of the metal. 

Archived