SASS Wire Forum

American Select and .38 special

Trying to use up the primers in the Dillon 650 and the cases left over from loading for the year for CAS.  Thinking of some training/plinking rounds with my 100 grain bullets.

Since I have an abundance of American Select powder, I wondered if anyone had a pet recipe using that powder.  It's burn rate is next to Titegroup and AA#2.

Not looking to produce dragon slayer loads......

Thanks for any help.

Lefty Dude did a lot of experimenting with AmSelect for Cowboy Action, and settled on 3.2 grains with everything from 105's to 158's.

Thanks, TFJ!  I had thought of 3.3 to 3.5 as a starter, based on relative burn rates and data for other powders, but I know it's not always a logical or linear progression.

BTW, that belt and holster rig I got from you sometime back has turned out to be great.  Had a local leather pro (Cowboy Earl) extend the belt for me and it's been working well.  He took one look at it and said, "That looks like some of Dusty Johnson's work".

I found 3.1 worked well crono said 730 avg. with 105's.

American Select is all I have ever used.  It's clean and consistent.  3.2 to 3.5 is plenty 105's to 130's   

A teeny bit of vibration helps with more uniform charges, as well as bridging. When using a Little Dandy measure, I tap the rotor once each way with a brass thimble I made from an old 10g hull to settle the powder and make sure it all dropped out.

AquariumPump.jpg

LittleDandyThimble.jpg

I loaded several thousand 38 Special rounds recently using a Dillon 650 and American Select.  My RCBS powder check die caught three rounds with too little powder dumped.  Bridging is possible but not a severe problem.  American Select and Unique have about the same flake size.  Neither is small flake powder that flows perfectly.  Still, I like the American Select.  It fills revolver cases well and burns clean.

I've shot 16 lbs of Am Select in shotshells, & it's my favorite. If TiteGroup wasn't my favorite for 38's, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it in 38's. I couldn't find the A.S. a while back & have about 16 lbs of Clay's, so that's what I'm currently shooting in the shotshells.

Archived