SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Watching a Decent Amazon or Netflix Series?

Getting desperate for a decent new series. I've gone through all of the good ones, like Justified, Longmire, Hell on Wheels, Breaking Bad, Goliath, Jack Ryan, Bosch, Better Call Saul, etc. Didn't like Ozark -- too dark. Any suggestions?

We are into the second season of “Fringe” on IMDB channel.  A present day science fiction series with Special Agents using the services of an eccentric scientist to solve crimes perpetrated by other mad criminal scientists.  Some familiar faces in the cast.  Free with commercials during the show.  A JJ Abrams production.

”Hart Of Dixie” on Netflix.  Comedy Southern satire, kind of a cross between “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Doc Hollywood”.  Gorgeous young lady surgeon from big city winds up in Alabama small town practice.  Chick flick with eye candy for guys.  Watch with your wife.

Upload on Amazon

Firefly - Science Fiction for cowboys.

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. - Campy Sci-Fi (sort of) for cowboys.

The Expanse - It's what Science Fiction is supposed to be.

and yeah, I'm just an old geek.

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Getting desperate for a decent new series. I've gone through all of the good ones, like Justified, Longmire, Hell on Wheels, Breaking Bad, Goliath, Jack Ryan, Bosch, Better Call Saul, etc. Didn't like Ozark -- too dark. Any suggestions?

No suggestions as you listed all the best shows already. :D

"Episodes" on Netflix.

Story is about a British married couple who wrote an award-winning comedy series in the UK.  Brought over to Hollywood to do a similar series for US tv.  Chaos follows.

A real funny series but a lot of "adult" scenes and language so be prepared...

Dr. O. R.

Have you seen Godless?

You did not mention that one.

A pretty good western mini-series.

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

We are into the second season of “Fringe” on IMDB channel.  A present day science fiction series with Special Agents using the services of an eccentric scientist to solve crimes perpetrated by other mad criminal scientists.  Some familiar faces in the cast.  Free with commercials during the show.  A JJ Abrams production.

The wife and I really enjoyed Fringe.  (I don't see it available on Netflix, though.)

Towards the end, though still enjoyable, was not as good as the earlier episodes.

ETA:  I don't have the IMBD channel, only limited access to Netflix and Dish Anywhere.

WWII movie series on Amazon, "The Pacific"

Bosch

DCI Banks

City Homicide

Korean zombie series called 'Kingdom' on Netflix was top notch.  Period piece that takes place in the Josean era after many Japanese invasions.

14 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Medieval England vikings vs Saxons  "last Kingdom"

+1

For light watching, Col. Marsh of Scotland Yard, head of the Department of Queer Complaints. The Amazon series started in 1956 and stars Boris Karloff. He solves weird, and sometimes improbable mysteries. Another real classic is the series with Inspector Morse of Oxford on Britbox.  Am a firm British mystery fan.

I'm currently starting Longmire, complex plots and a bit hard to follow at times. Really liked Justified and Bosch.

My wife and I really enjoyed "Persons of Interest" with Jim Caveziel.   We watched "Longmire" twice, and also enjoyed "Blacklist".    All are quite interesting if you like a series to keep you hanging until the next episode......

Have you seen the Outlander series?  It's on Starz, but I think you can access it through Amazon.

There are a few scenes that will need follow-up eye bleach (and possibly therapy) but otherwise it's quite good, with Scottish, English, French and early American history woven into the story.  

20 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Medieval England vikings vs Saxons  "last Kingdom"

“Last Kingdom”.  I’ve read the books.  This is one where the films are better than the books, in my opinion. They drag on in the books where the film format keeps the story moving. 

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Have you seen the Outlander series?  It's on Starz, but I think you can access it through Amazon.

There are a few scenes that will need follow-up eye bleach (and possibly therapy) but otherwise it's quite good, with Scottish, English, French and early American history woven into the story.  

We’ve been watching two episodes a night. Pretty good series! 

8 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

For light watching, Col. Marsh of Scotland Yard, head of the Department of Queer Complaints. The Amazon series started in 1956 and stars Boris Karloff. He solves weird, and sometimes improbable mysteries. Another real classic is the series with Inspector Morse of Oxford on Britbox.  Am a firm British mystery fan.

I'm currently starting Longmire, complex plots and a bit hard to follow at times. Really liked Justified and Bosch.

I liked Morse, then Inspector Lewis, Endeavor might be the best of them.

Stay away from Tales from the Loop, unless you have insomnia.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:46 AM, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Frontier on Netflix

Homeland on Hulu

Finished the Homeland series today....stay tuned. <— for those that have watched

if I was allowed to do meth, I wouldn’t have slept or worked  between episodes.

My wife will be happy because I’m not hogging the living room tv watching my stupid spy shows.

Archived