SASS Wire Forum

From one LEO to all others

Dantankerous

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That was the very first thing I saw.:lol:

We didn't even have baseball hats for my dept ^_^

OLG 

We got them approved late in my career, but they were not allowed to be worn "in view of the public."  WHEN is a cop NOT in view of the public?!?!?!?

I worked day shift one year, and I'm Scottish, and I worked in a city that sits at over 6200 feet of elevation, where the UV gives out sunburns like a State Trooper gives out tail light tickets.  That means I had it on my head any time I was in the cruiser or standing outside the cruiser...so, basically, all shift unless I was in a building.  

Before that I spent my career on midnight shifts.  In those days, we didn't have baseball caps; we only had "bus driver caps."  Bus driver caps are great looking for funerals and other formal occasions, but an absolute travesty for patrol work.  You cannot run, jump fences, fight, etc. with that stupid thing on your head.  

He is on admin leave pending investigation.

"I’ve received tons of questions regarding my termination from the Port of Seattle Police. So I figured I should explain. I have been placed on administrative leave (still being paid) pending investigation. I was told by both the agency and my union that this will result in termination due to it being an insubordination charge for refusing to take down the video. I’m not sure what the timeline looks like. I walk un-intimidated into the fray. Thank you for all the support"

https://youtu.be/a5u785Ub85k

15 minutes ago, Bingo Montana said:

He is on admin leave pending investigation.

"I’ve received tons of questions regarding my termination from the Port of Seattle Police. So I figured I should explain. I have been placed on administrative leave (still being paid) pending investigation. I was told by both the agency and my union that this will result in termination due to it being an insubordination charge for refusing to take down the video. I’m not sure what the timeline looks like. I walk un-intimidated into the fray. Thank you for all the support"

https://youtu.be/a5u785Ub85k

Freedom, or as our revolutionary ancestors said, "The Cause,"  is more important.  At my department we had a Lieutenant asking people what they would do if he gave them a direct order to arrest someone illegally.  It was nothing more than a power trip.  Had he asked me, it would not have gone well.  He did ask a friend, who told him, "I guess I was looking for a job when I found this one."  

He was written up for insubordination.  And that was the standard "leadership" method in my horrible department.  

The happiest day of my life was when I walked out of there for the last time.  

Had he posted the same video off duty in street clothes he would be in a lot less trouble. Poor judgement, unless he was looking for fame or notoriety. And that he got.

Obviously the liberal politicians in Washington are afraid of real men like this. And from a citizen's point of view we need more police officers who believe what and how he believes and acts accordingly.

Through the years I've wondered many times how cops would react to any unconstitutional procedure regarding firearms. Would they be my friends or my enemies? 

I live in AZ and I know how the Sheriff feels; I"m not sure of city cops or state cops. I'm sure how the feds feel and I don't trust any of them. I'd hate to see a situation here like VA has become but I don't think it would be pretty.

PF

Another video in response to the original. Another police officer speaks. Very well stated.

https://caldronpool.com/police-officer-fired-after-warning-fellow-officers-not-to-violate-peoples-rights/

Yes he was fired........

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

8 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

https://caldronpool.com/police-officer-fired-after-warning-fellow-officers-not-to-violate-peoples-rights/

Yes he was fired........

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Congress is one thing. Department policies are another.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Congress is one thing. Department policies are another.

In a federal civil rights court, in which several female members of my department sued the department for discrimination:

This occurred several months after I retired from the department, but I was subpoenaed in my military capacity to discuss several things on the plaintiff's behalf.  

Under cross examination:

City's Attorney:  "Colonel [Cassidy], isn't it true that you were investigated by Internal Affairs shortly before leaving the Colorado Springs Police Department?"

Me:  "Yes."

City's Attorney:  "No further questions, Your Honor."  

His attempt was to make me look like a dirty cop.  It was an underhanded tactic I had anticipated and had prepped the women's attorney for.

Women's' attorney, on redirect:  "Colonel [Cassidy], we just heard about an Internal Affairs investigation against you.  Would you mind explaining the nature of this investigation to the court?"

Me:  "Absolutely.  I was investigated for commenting about the poor quality of leadership at the Colorado Springs Police Department, as demonstrated by their discriminatory practices against the plaintiffs and other actions."

Judge:  *slaps table while laughing uncontrollably, looks at city's attorney:  "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ASK HIM ANYTHING ELSE?!?!?!"

We had a very strict policy about putting anything representing the department on social media including, patrol cars, uniforms, patches, firearms etc.  A Youtube video while in the patrol car and wearing the uniform would definitely qualify as violation of that policy.  I wouldn't even join the book of faces because of our social media policy.  Nothing good could come of it.  

tkNothing wrong with his opinions, but he did it in uniform in his patrol car. It's a political statement. Even if an agreeable one, he chose to use the format purposely. They told him to take it down, which was to be expected. He refused. He knew what he was doing and what would happen and it was deliberate, as he admits.

The governor didn't tell him to take it down. His superiors in his department did.

Back in my day, yep, ya get fired for something like that. Knew two guys fired for donating to a political party. Also could get fired for political bumper sticker. You knew this when you took the job so no excuse if ya did it. Cop had to be far above the law and never indicate political positions. Heck, if you got involved in an affair you could get fired. Just different back then, ya had to keep your nose clean for the department appearance.

Well, our administrators couldn't fire or discipline anyone for having affairs.  Way too many skeletons in those closets.  However, it was kept in-house and didn't attract outside attention.  Our department was large enough so if two officers became "involved", they were separated and sent to different precincts or divisions.  Same with husbands and wives.  Affairs between supervisors and subordinates was highly frowned upon however.  Every department develops its own culture and policies. 

He's right. It's called LAW enforcement, and not order enforcement, or guideline enforcement etc...for a reason. The representative bodies (legislatures of the people) did not vote these changes into law.

Now, did he choose his forum poorly...............Yep.

13 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Well, our administrators couldn't fire or discipline anyone for having affairs.  Way too many skeletons in those closets.  However, it was kept in-house and didn't attract outside attention.  Our department was large enough so if two officers became "involved", they were separated and sent to different precincts or divisions.  Same with husbands and wives.  Affairs between supervisors and subordinates was highly frowned upon however.  Every department develops its own culture and policies. 

“Moral terpitude” they called it in my department. How positively Elizabethan. :lol:

What he said was something that needed saying.  
What he said should be in the forefront of the minds of every LEO and every elected official.

The platform he used to present his message was dumb with a capital stupid.  

Archived