SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith safety check

Philosopher

I frequently see the recommendation that before firing an old firearm that the gun should be inspected by a gunsmith. 

I'm curious as to what the components of the safety check are?

Visual examination for cracks in the frame? Deep pits in the metal? Check for short chambers? Verify the cartridge the firearm is chambered in? Magnafluxing?

Philosopher,

It varies from firearm to firearm.

A 'safety check' on Winchester or IAC 1897 shotgun is much different than the checking out a Ruger revolver.

Safety checking a SxS is different than the 1887 or 1897 shotgun.

Hopefully, the gunsmith you use for these safety checks is competent with the particular firearms being checked.

..........Widder

They check the action for tightness. Ch close the operation. They can bore scope the barrel / chambers. Inspect for weakness, damage and wear on parts and springs. 

Widder is correct that it depends on the gun and what kind it is. Also, he mentioned the gunsmith being familiar with the gun. That is very important. I always call ahead and ask gunsmiths / shop owners about their familiarity with a gun before I bring it in and possibly waste all our time. 

If a shop specializes in Tactical firearms I would not just bring them a lever gun for assessment unless someone at the business is familiar with them. 

More often than NOT the first task is to Properly Clean the firearm !!!

So the condition can be assessed, and yes different firearms need different things looked at ...

This fall I will have been Smithing various Firearms for 48 years ...

In some ways a careful cleaning helps to detect faults in the Gun so as much as it used to bother me, the lack of proper care .... 

I now view it as a time of getting to know how well the parts are fitted ,,, Detect cracked or worn parts etc...

Jabez Cowboy 

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Philosopher,

It varies from firearm to firearm.

A 'safety check' on Winchester or IAC 1897 shotgun is much different than the checking out a Ruger revolver.

Safety checking a SxS is different than the 1887 or 1897 shotgun.

Hopefully, the gunsmith you use for these safety checks is competent with the particular firearms being checked.

..........Widder

I have three gunsmiths that I trust.  

One is a general smith with a fully equiped machine shop.  Mostly works on newer guns but specializes in 1911 and M-16 types, and is the go to guy for submachine guns.  He's also the guy to see for metal sights.  If he can't find a part he'll make it for you.  Everything but plating.  He farms that out.

Had Johny Rivers, but he moved down toward Phoenix.  Might have retired, but I hope not.  If I have to have any work done on my lever guns or any SKB shotguns I'll find him.

Last is a man who does magna fluxing , X ray, etc. and most of the other smiths recommend him.

I'm looking for someone locally to do laser engraving, stock and grip work, inlays, and other fanciness.

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm looking for someone locally to do laser engraving, stock and grip work, inlays, and other fanciness.

If your willing to send it out of state call Rick he went to the same gunsmithing school I went to , he does good work 

https://swguntech.com/

Archived