SASS Wire Forum

Advice on gunsmith action job

Hugh Long

I have an early 1.5” carrier, lever safety,  Navy Arms Uberti 66 in 38special.

Which of the gunsmiths would knowledgeable members recommend to work on this one to slick up the action?

thanks

You can send it to your choice of current ones.  The shorter carrier is not an issue.  The safety lever combination trigger spring must be worked because it is an early design again not an issue.  Can't think of any other differences in the older 66.

Pioneer gun works did mine.  He had to make a new carrier as the old one was made to run a the old standard 38 special load of 158 round nose ammo. That was the only ammo they had in Italy 40 years ago. My 66 carbine was made about 1970.  he made a new carrier to handle our 90 grain and 100 grain short bullet mouse fart  loads we run now that are shorter overall.  Irish ☘️ Pat sass 19486

The early short carrier 66's do have a few more difference's than Lefty mentioned....

They do have a trigger safety and the trigger spring is different and internal, the Links are different and the diameter of the link pins is smaller,

the mag tube is aluminum, the end plug,  mag spring and follower are all different, the loading gate is different.... maybe one or two more minor things....... 

In the past, some Smiths wouldn't work on em... mainly because replacement parts for the Early ones are nearly impossible to find,

and even though some newer parts may work, the time it takes to fit em makes it unrealistic.... 

But If Lefty Wheeler works on em, then He's Your Man!!!!!

He can work Magic on Em, Fer Sure !!!!!

40 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

The early short carrier 66's do have a few more difference's than Lefty mentioned....

They do have a trigger safety and the trigger spring is different and internal, the Links are different and the diameter of the link pins is smaller,

the mag tube is aluminum, the end plug,  mag spring and follower are all different, the loading gate is different.... maybe one or two more minor things....... 

In the past, some Smiths wouldn't work on em... mainly because replacement parts for the Early ones are nearly impossible to find,

and even though some newer parts may work, the time it takes to fit em makes it unrealistic.... 

Sam is spot on with the difference, it's been a while since I've seen one of the old ones.  Hammer was lightened and some other things that I wish they would bring back. 

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Great choice in my book.

Lefty has worked on numerous 73s for me.

The magazine tube is a little larger if I remember correctly, so  mounting point in the receiver is too large to swap to new style mag tube. I believe I had to make a bushing to fit a stainless tube to one for a guy. I believe all the link pins are also different sizes than new guns. The hammers are cool though.

Archived