SASS Wire Forum

Oh My! Rattlesnake! Advice?

Advice?  

Use a shotgun, easier to hit them than with a six shooter.

Oh, you didn't mean that kind of advice... OK then...

Once you have them skinned, cut them in 4" lengths.  Bread them like you would chicken (kind of heavy on black pepper, but this is a personal choice) and fry them up.  Never did the cooking myself, but sure did enjoy the eating... especially when it was the rattlesnake that came way too close to getting me!

I tried to read through the comments but when I got to the beginning of dead snake pics with forced perspective to make them look "big" I gave up. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors. We have a catio so they can get fresh air and some natural stimulation. Our cats are also harness and leash trained so they do get some yard time. Cats kill for fun. More often than not they do not eat what they kill if they spend a large portion of their life being fed from a steadily filled bowl of kibble. I'm not trying to preach as to what's the right way but I do enjoy seeing all kinds of wildlife doing what they do. Cats are an invasive species and can wreak havoc on a ecosystem if not kept in check. 

Hi Jack,

We had a custom fence built to keep them in a small yard. You could say that the cat has been let out of the bag (house) and can't be put back in.

Maybe we could put a tiny wire mesh on the bottom, outside of the fence to keep snakes out.

Here's a photo of the fence.

09132016-02.JPG

24 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Maybe we could put a tiny wire mesh on the bottom, outside of the fence to keep snakes out.

They'll go right over a screen mesh. Did so at our chicken coup at 2 foot, for an egg breakfast.

Yeah, that might work...

21 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Advice?  

Use a shotgun, easier to hit them than with a six shooter.

Oh, you didn't mean that kind of advice... OK then...

Once you have them skinned, cut them in 4" lengths.  Bread them like you would chicken (kind of heavy on black pepper, but this is a personal choice) and fry them up.  Never did the cooking myself, but sure did enjoy the eating... especially when it was the rattlesnake that came way too close to getting me!

I wonder if somewhere, some time, a native ate his first piece of chicken and said, "Hmm. Tastes just like snake!'

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Even if we cut it so there are pointy vertical pieces instead of a horizontal on top?

Allie, don't bother. You'll be wasting time and money. If a snake wants to get into almost anything, it will. Snakes don't look for anything other than a den, food or mating. There is no real way to keep a snake out of your property or to protect your cats other than keeping the cats inside or eliminating all snakes near your residence.

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Jack,

We had a custom fence built to keep them in a small yard. You could say that the cat has been let out of the bag (house) and can't be put back in.

Here's a photo of the fence.

09132016-02.JPG

That does a lot to help protect them and a lot of critters since the kittys cant wander to far. The wire you mention would be a futile attempt to keep snakes out IMO. They climb and slip through the tiniest of cracks. Honestly there's no sure fired way to keep them out of your yard. I can say that the snake away liquids you see at a lot of farm stores does not work in the least. But thank you for limiting how far your fur babies can wander. 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I tried to read through the comments but when I got to the beginning of dead snake pics with forced perspective to make them look "big" I gave up. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors. We have a catio so they can get fresh air and some natural stimulation. Our cats are also harness and leash trained so they do get some yard time. Cats kill for fun. More often than not they do not eat what they kill if they spend a large portion of their life being fed from a steadily filled bowl of kibble. I'm not trying to preach as to what's the right way but I do enjoy seeing all kinds of wildlife doing what they do. Cats are an invasive species and can wreak havoc on a ecosystem if not kept in check. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here an assume you are talking about my photo since it is the first snake picture on the thread. 

1). It isn't dead in the photo.

2). It's 74" long. Didn't need any "forced perspective" to make it look big. It IS big.

3). You could have simply left off your entirely superfluous first sentence and you would have gotten your comment in without a needless poke at me. 

7 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here an assume you are talking about my photo since it is the first snake picture on the thread. 

1). It isn't dead in the photo.

2). It's 74" long. Didn't need any "forced perspective" to make it look big. It IS big.

3). You could have simply left off your entirely superfluous first sentence and you would have gotten your comment in without a needless poke at me. 

Well I didnt take down a list of names of who posted what. Didnt much matter to me who posted them.

1.) maybe not but i'm fairly confident it was after

2.) I highly doubt it. I'm not debating they can get that large. They can, but is rare. If that snake is 6'2" you must be 8-9 feet tall.  Maybe look up forced perspective. whether you meant to or not that is exactly what it is. 

3.) you could have simply chosen to ignore my comment which was not dedicated solely towards anyone but rather towards anyone showing pics of dead snakes in a forced prospective manner. By your words, my comment was not intended towards you. I mean you say it wasnt forced perspective and it wasnt dead in the photo and those are the ones I was referring to. :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Well I didnt take down a list of names of who posted what. Didnt much matter to me who posted them.

2.) I highly doubt it. I'm not debating they can get that large. They can, but is rare. If that snake is 6'2" you must be 8-9 feet tall.  Maybe look up forced perspective. whether you meant to or not that is exactly what it is. 

3.) you could have simply chosen to ignore my comment which was not dedicated solely towards anyone but rather towards anyone showing pics of dead snakes in a forced prospective manner. By your words, my comment was not intended towards you. I mean you say it wasnt forced perspective and it wasnt dead in the photo and those are the ones I was referring to. :rolleyes:

How do you figure 8-9 feet tall ? The snake looks looks to be longer than he is tall. His arms are not held out in front of him in an effort to make the snake look bigger.

kR

44 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

How do you figure 8-9 feet tall ? The snake looks looks to be longer than he is tall. His arms are not held out in front of him in an effort to make the snake look bigger.

kR

He's holding it out towards the camera thus making it appear longer than him. Pretty much text book version of forced perspective.  Maybe the term forced perspective isnt the best choice. I'll rephrase. Close focus wide angle perspective. Here's a little article about those giant snakes you see in photos.

https://livingalongsidewildlife.com/?p=5135

Incase you dont want to read a full article here's a pic with a brief explanation and example of how it works.

forced.jpg

5 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

He's holding it out towards the camera thus making it appear longer than him. Pretty much text book version of forced perspective.  Maybe the term forced perspective isnt the best choice. I'll rephrase. Close focus wide angle perspective. Here's a little article about those giant snakes you see in photos.

https://livingalongsidewildlife.com/?p=5135

Incase you dont want to read a full article here's a pic with a brief explanation and example of how it works.

forced.jpg

TW is holding his snake like the pic on the left. not like the one on the right.

kR

1 minute ago, Kid Rich said:

TW is holding his snake like the pic on the left. not like the one on the right.

kR

I'll give you he's not full on straight at the camera with it but he is not holding it directly at his side either. it's at the end of a choke pole and indeed much closer to the camera than he is. You're entitled to your opinion same as anyone. I just happen to disagree with you having had experience in this particular type of matter. Regardless of what's said next i'll go ahead and decline further comments on this thread as we're cluttering it up and getting off the original topic.

My apologies to the OP. 

T.F. Jack

Poor TN Williams, he don't get any respect at all..... ;)

Regardless of how the pic was taken or what angle,  if TN Williams measured out ole Rattlers at 74"

then its 74".

To try to reason otherwise, based on the angle of the pic, etc....... is fruitless.    The thing I noticed the most

is that he's having to use both of his arms to hold it up AND the pole is bending downward.

TN ain't exactly a little feller and that rattler ain't no little reptile either.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

1). And?

2). Some dummies still doubt the world is round. 

You know 150 or even 50 years ago when somebody called someone a liar not in jest, it might not end well. Even if the person doesn't know they're calling someone a liar. To say I don't believe that or I doubt that, is equivalent to saying LIAR. I'm old school that way and don't appreciate it at all. I don't know if its where some people come from or the way they were brought up, or just ignorance.

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I'll give you he's not full on straight at the camera with it but he is not holding it directly at his side either. it's at the end of a choke pole and indeed much closer to the camera than he is. You're entitled to your opinion same as anyone. I just happen to disagree with you having had experience in this particular type of matter. 

T.F. Jack

Apparently your experience in the matter did not help.

Take the snake to the U.S. Department of Weights and Measures for proper positioning fully extended beside a certified tape measure, then using a certified photographic drone take a high resolution photo from 15 feet directly above the center of mass.  Have 10 Notary Public’s verify the photos truly and accurately depict what they personally observed.

If that snake is alive in the photo then Tn. Williams is out of his mind and should be euthanized to protect the rest of us!

1 minute ago, Sawyer said:

Take the snake to the U.S. Department of Weights and Measures for proper positioning fully extended beside a certified tape measure, then using a certified photographic drone take a high resolution photo from 15 feet directly above the center of mass.  Have 10 Notary Public’s verify the photos truly and accurately depict what they personally observed.

If that snake is alive in the photo then Tn. Williams is out of his mind and should be euthanized to protect the rest of us!

Sawyer,

Ole TN ain't skeer'd.   He's got a pocket knife in his pocket and he's wearing his 'Air Jordan' tenney's  should he have to fly 

off real fast..... :lol:

But folks have to realize that holding the snake up in that manner wasn't the most difficult task.   The hard part was actually

getting it out of the ditch to inflict damage to it before it got a dog, cat, goat or even ole Blood and Guts TN Williams.

..........Widder

W-a-a-a-l, since mine was one of the two offending 'dead snake' pictures, I do feel compelled to step into this mess, just for this one commentary.

First -- my post was off-topic for the thread, since it did nothing to address the initial post and for that breach of protocol, I apologize to the participants in general.

Second -- since Allie started this thread, it's to her I would owe any consideration if my post was offensive. I figure she's growed up enough to let me know she didn't like it, but likely genteel enough not to. So whichever way it goes, Ms. Allie, if the picture I posted offended you,  jest let me know and I'll strike it.

Third -- harping on 'perspective' of a game photo is sometimes jest a way some people come sideways at what they're trying to say, which is that their sensibilities are offended by the photo, by the notion that a critter was kilt, or that the person a-doin' the killin' weren't sportin' or justified in the killin', and they want the rest of the folks to know that they are far more refined than such as all that. To that I say if you don't like it jest move on along and don't overestimate how much your opinion should affect my life.

Now, to the topic at hand -- what to do about snake(s).

Allie, most of what's been said is spot-on. Living near wooded areas increases the chances you come across a snake, barriers to keep them out are marginally effective but not totally. Awareness is key and being familiar with types is important.

Where possible, snakes can just be left alone or relocated, but sometimes not. The four-footer I killed with a stick because he was in a dust-up with one of my dogs at the gate to the driveway. There have been several moccasins I've killed, and a couple of coral snakes (again -- a stick; I think the only time for a gun is when they are someplace that can't be reached but they have to be taken out), but that's because they were on my porch, in my garage, one bit my dog, and the baby cotton mouth that was in my bathroom had to go.

The point being -- snakes have a surprising way of getting past barriers. The best idea is to not give them a reason to get past. Keeping snakes' prey out of your yard helps.

When my dog was bitten, it was almost a surprise -- he acted like he really didn't understand what had happened, I almost didn't take him to the vet but he was definitely acting odd, so I did. Good thing -- he made it (the snake didn't). Funny thing, everyone says take the snake with you, but no one wanted to see it when I got there.

Snakes are kinda like squabbles on a forum. You know they're out there, you prefer to avoid them, some are actually beneficial, and you hope you don't have to get tangled up with bad'uns very often. 

28 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Sawyer,

Ole TN ain't skeer'd.   He's got a pocket knife in his pocket and he's wearing his 'Air Jordan' tenney's  should he have to fly 

off real fast..... :lol:

But folks have to realize that holding the snake up in that manner wasn't the most difficult task.   The hard part was actually

getting it out of the ditch to inflict damage to it before it got a dog, cat, goat or even ole Blood and Guts TN Williams.

..........Widder

I had a whole litter of 7 labs die after going under an old house on my property. They were 3 or 4 months old.. It was awful. 4 of them had their heads swell up like basketballs. Other 3 never made it out and I couldn't get them. I usually find 3 or 4 Rattlers every year. Multitudes of different species snake.

40 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

Sawyer, I'm plenty out of my mind. He's alive but wore out from wrasslin' with me. Sadly he passed from an acute allergic reaction to my pocket knife.

Hello Ozark Huckleberry and Turkey Flats Jack,

I'd say I got most of the information I needed before the sidetrack occurred. I do appreciate your apologies though. I quit following the thread a few posts in to the sidetrack.

I'm not afraid to speak my mind, if I'm really annoyed. I was the Wire Administrator for IIRC 5+ years. A little sideline is much preferred to personal attacks and I've had many of those, public and private.

Take care,

Allie Mo

PS Keeping snakes out is not as worrisome as keeping Rita, the predator-in-chief, in. She has got out twice this week. Today, I found her trying to get back in. She was in a tree and couldn't get in. So, I opened the gate for her.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:32 AM, Ozark Huckleberry said:

rattlesnake.jpg.782de5a97beb4b22d9b710208c18a20f.jpg

Dang that's a big worm, beyond a shadow of a doubt. ;)

We got 'em here in FL too, I'll only claim four feet on this one.

I'd reckon some of the folks out of Texas have pictures of a few bad boys that make these look like fishin' worms.

A rare picture of a rattler that isn't thrust toward the camera on a long stick.  :)

This is where I did most of my snake hunting!

https://www.macdill.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/232362/before-it-was-macdill-bay-peninsula-history-pre-wwii/

The areas that were still brishy down near the bay was crawling with rattlesnakes.

Archived