SASS Wire Forum

WTB : Miroku '73 short stroke kit

LQ Jones

LQ...

I doubt you will have a lot of luck finding a SS Kit for a Miroku

I'm not aware of anyone currently mfg one....

There were too many problems with the initial production run...

I had one of the Kits for my 1st Win/Mo '66 and it fit basically, as the old saying goes.... "Like a Sock on a Rooster" 

I returned the SS Kit and did a Cody Conagher style "cut & weld" short stroke.... That works Great !!!!

I Now have a 2nd one that's about get the same treatment.

FYI... Boomstick Jay is one Smith that does the cut & weld SS.......

Good Luck !

27 minutes ago, LQ Jones said:

Thanks - seeing what's out there. I may cut & weld, and I may leave it alone. I've got plenty of SS Italian guns.

LQ

Just leave it, if you ever do find a short stroke kit you'll have to get a new lever if you "cut and weld". I had to do that with my "Taylor tuned cut and weld Commachero".

I bought 2 kits when they were available. I installed one in a Win 1873 in 357 mag. First, I was told beforehand that the new 1873's were short stroked from the factory, I still ordered the kits. Upon comparing the 2 rifles I found I had gained very little. I later sold the other kit and never looked back. I can take a side by side picture of both rifles if needed.

8 hours ago, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

I bought 2 kits when they were available. I installed one in a Win 1873 in 357 mag..... Upon comparing the 2 rifles I found I had gained very little. 

Any problems with the kit rifle?

I installed a SS kit I purchased from Longhunter Supply, it works for me. Don't know how much difference it made. I've been shooting the same Winchester 73 for about 5 years. Been told my rifle is pretty quick, depends on the day. 

:o  LQ  J  :rolleyes:

Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon Territory jumped into the fray almost as soon as the Miroku became available.  Lots and lots of problems.  the kit worked sorta "OK" in some guns, in most it was abysmal.  They took a bath on returned kits and stopped installing them themselves, getting out of the after-market for the Miroku as fast as they could.

Most of what you fine out there have already been in a gun and failed to work.  Cravat Emptor.  I am personally no fan of Cut and Weld but currently, atz all that "works" on a Miroku.  My personal suggestion would be to leave it alone.  Do some spring work to make it run lighter and call it GOOD!!

I bought the 2 units I have/had from Pioneer Gun Works. I fitted one to the 357 mag and the instillation went fine without any problems. The rifle runs as good as it did from the Miroku factory, which was flawless.

I've had more than a few "other 73's" and Didn't like what they had to offer. The Miroku engineers designed their links so as to control headspace after the rifle is made. The links have numbers stamped on them reflecting the length. Where the problems occur is the machine tolerance from Miroku are so tight that you need to have your parts perfect or they won't work with the mating parts.

The Miroku quality is legendary and rightfully so. No soft steel parts, fit and finish is superb. I have one SS'ed and one factory. They are both great rifles. Any future Winchester 73's will be shot as received from the factory.

3 hours ago, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

The Miroku quality is legendary and rightfully so. No soft steel parts, fit and finish is superb. I have one SS'ed and one factory. 

Miroku has been a world-class gun maker for a long, long time - that's why I decided to upgrade. I've set up a gig with Carty for the .357; the .45 Deluxe handles differently and I might just leave that one alone.

thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences :FlagAm:

LQ

Archived