SASS Wire Forum

Question about Ithaca shotgun

San Joaquin Shootist

Good morning,

Could use some help identifying this shotgun, approximate value and mostly suitability for CAS. It is described like this:

" Beautiful 1940's - 1950's Ithaca Double Barrel Shotgun is in 98% overall condition. The metal bluing is 100%, the wood finish is 98%."

I am pretty sure it is not an SKB. Does anyone know the story on these?

8NZeUrp.jpg

Thanks Pards and Happy Mothers Day!

Here's a link to an Internet article on the Ithaca Gun Company background: Wikipedia Link.  Ithaca, an American company was in business in Ithaca, NY from 1883-1996. Bottom line is that it is most likely a New Ithaca Double which was made from 1926-1948. They came in seven grades. My pricing guide, the 2017 Standard Catalog of Firearms lists prices in excellent condition starting out at $1,100 for a Grade 1 to $12,000 for a Grade 7. They are excellent firearms.  My first CAS shotgun was an Ithaca Flues model that I ended up selling to a collector. I know a guy who collected Ithaca Sousa grade shotguns. Between he and his brother they had almost 1/2 of them ever made (believe about a total of 18). These sell at 10K to 16K each; Duh! Suggest getting an independent appraisal if it's priced over 1K.

Need more information and a close up picture, probably a Flues:

To evaluate your shotgun please post detailed pictures of both sides of the gun, both sides and top and bottom of the receiver area and readable, close-ups of ALL markings including the barrel flats, barrel underside and the frame watertable after the barrels have been removed from the frame for identification and evaluation.

Archived