SASS Wire Forum

SASS Costuming

Whiskey Hicks

On 5/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, Cholla said:

Bohannon wore percussion guns, if I remember correctly.

SASS main match legal percussion guns are legal in all SASS categories.

Classic Cowboy is geared toward those wanting to portray a working cowboy or drover of the post CW to 1899 era.  Hence the requirements for accrutements.   B-Western can be any of the Hollywood westerns... but, it seems the more flamboyant the better!

I agree with focusing on equipment before clothes!  You might be able to afford a change of clothes, but a change of guns is a different story. I found a lot of good, suitable outfits at thrift store when I started.  Got a couple of pretty decent outfits for less than 5 bucks.  Welcome and Good Luck!

Just to set the Tally book straight - Cowboy/Cowgirl is an ANY AGE CATEGORY. It does not have a minimum or maximum age.

A 13 year old competitor cannot win overall in Buckeroo category BUT can win overall in Cowboy!

On 5/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

We left out age based category: EL REY (0ver 85).   :P

I don't wear "cowboy clothes" because that's what I wear every day. Our family place began in the 1870s. Our hands from then to modern times wore darned near everything!   ;) All you need is a cheap shirt, wool or cordurey trousers, shoes or boots and a big brimmed hat even though plenty of caps, derbies, etc. made their appearance. They had no money and you don't need to spend any either.

You can wear a doo-rag and go barefoot if you like. A few shooters shoot in long-handle underwear.  Buckskins are fine. Some of us even wear kilts.

5 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Just to set the Tally book straight - Cowboy/Cowgirl is an ANY AGE CATEGORY. It does not have a minimum or maximum age.

A 13 year old competitor cannot win overall in Buckeroo category BUT can win overall in Cowboy!

You don't realize how wrong you are...

Previously referred to as the 'Rattlesnake Wrangler' rule, however you will not find it listed in the SHB or the State match contracts, it was a clarification made 8 years ago, so, who knows how many people remember it.

However, the clarification clearly states that a buckaroo can win overall. They must declare their intentions before the match and must engage the stages in the same manner as everyone else, ie, knock down SG targets. But they can do it as a buckaroo.

You would think after eight years that it would be published in at least one handbook!

Many "Clarifications" sneak by. 

If it isn't codified in a Handbook somewhere then how is a new shooter (or an old one) to determine what is right and wrong.

One more check mark for a PUBLISHED (and I don't mean on a website somewhere) list of clarifications.

10 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

You would think after eight years that it would be published in at least one handbook!

Many "Clarifications" sneak by. 

If it isn't codified in a Handbook somewhere then how is a new shooter (or an old one) to determine what is right and wrong.

They are working to get it added to the Match Director's guide.

However, the version currently listed on the SASS website goes to version H from 2012, even though the link says it is supposed to be the 2018 edition.. 

https://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/MatchAdmH2012.pdf

If you search for it, you can find version J from 2018 on the googles, but it has no reference to this clarification in it:

https://sassnet.com/Downloads/Match Dir Guide 103018.pdf

Maybe it fell through the cracks, or they are still working on it...

In any case, @Misty Moonshine  may want to get the web people fix that link on the documents page to point to the correct match director's guide.

54 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Aren't all the rule books published on a website somewhere?

There's a LINK on the SASS HOME page.
Rulebooks and RO Course materials are also accessible from the "
Training and Safety: Range Officer Safety Courses" link

(below the lists of RO Instructors).
The link to the website
AoH refers to (Rule Clarifications Archives) is accessible from the "Shooter's Handbooks" page just above the Mounted Handbooks.

A comprehensive list of current ROC clarifications (on that site) is forthcoming (no ETA at this time)

Once Wore all Orignal ( Grand Dads) 1880 From the underware out the only exception being the boots, He wore these duds till He "Thickened" as a Rancher founding his Ranch in 1870 ... 

And Lost the Classic Cowboy dress Category to some dude wearing nothing older than 3 years ....

So don't sweat the Dressing Stuff, it's all in Fun ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I’m late into this conversation, but welcome to the game! 

Understanding the rules is the hardest part of this game.  I know, I’ve been a cowboy for a little over a year.  Everyone says the rules are hard to understand so if they seem confusing, welcome to the club.  Probably the most important thing to remember is that you only need to choose one catagory out of all the shooting, costuming, or age categories -  only one.  Not one of each.  Choose one out of the groups that’s most important to you whether it is a shooting style, costume style, or age category.  Once you do that, you’re free to shoot anyway, shoot anything,  or wear anything that’s in the SASS rule book except what’s forbidden for that ONE category you choose.  Also remember you can change categories every match.  Try out anything you want and see what you enjoy the most!

Above all, don’t take things too literally and HAVE FUN!

Your guns should match your outfit or at least be appropriate. A shooter in a civil war’ish uniform using an 1892 rifle wouldn’t necessarily work. Anyone wearing any outfit using a modern mag tube loading Henry rifle wouldn’t work, imo. Of course a big hat, boots and a long sleeve shirt is all you ‘officially’ need but I’ve shot with barefoot shooters, shooters in overalls and ones with no hats at all so cas is how much you want to invest into it. Wear the minimum or look like you just walked off the set of Deadwood or Fistful of Dollars and have fun.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Ed said:

A shooter in a civil war’ish uniform using an 1892 rifle wouldn’t necessarily work. 

But.......but........but........John Wayne did.:P

Hollywood also removed the forarms to ‘make’ Henry rifles out of 92s. Don’t know if the Duke ever used anything but a 92 src. I do remember a movie where he wore buckskins and carried a muzzle loader. Don’t guess that the armourer prop guy could help him out on that one. 

7 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Your guns should match your outfit or at least be appropriate. A shooter in a civil war’ish uniform using an 1892 rifle wouldn’t necessarily work. Anyone wearing any outfit using a modern mag tube loading Henry rifle wouldn’t work, imo. Of course a big hat, boots and a long sleeve shirt is all you ‘officially’ need but I’ve shot with barefoot shooters, shooters in overalls and ones with no hats at all so cas is how much you want to invest into it. Wear the minimum or look like you just walked off the set of Deadwood or Fistful of Dollars and have fun.

I would have to cordially disagree with this, sir. Unless you are shooting a category with strict firearms rules, just grab the guns that float yer boat and shoot 'em in whatever dang category you want to shoot 'em in (except those gun-specific categories I mentioned)...

I would cordially disagree with you sir, a big part of the draw of sass/ncows to most competitors is the opportunity to dress the part. It’s not just the guns and gunplay. If not then where are all the cowboy 3 gun matches? I enjoy dressing the part. In fact I’m working on a new impression for this year, Rafe Covington, an 1860 open top conversion, schofield and an 1873 Centennial rifle. But this is America and we do as we want so feel free to float your boots, wear what you want and shoot what you want [per sass edicts of course]. This is the shell carrier that I built for my rifle, finished the stock too from a blank as the original stock broke. Still piddling with the front sight. Stay safe all.

55EA0EA8-70E9-4990-9CB2-A0FFAE63450B.jpeg

3344488B-9355-4259-BE05-44B535D1BF76.jpeg

15 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

I would cordially disagree with you sir, 

And that's what makes this game so much fun: the ability to disagree with each other in a friendly manner and still have a good time. :D

Archived