SASS Wire Forum

SASS Costuming

Whiskey Hicks

Alright, as I chose my .45 LC Pietta first before deciding to explore CAS, I'm trying to do my research on costuming before I make any purchases.  From my understanding, B Western seems to be all of the 50s, Roy Rogers style stuff that would show up well on black-and-white film.  Would Classic Cowboy then be everything else in a more historically accurate light?  What if I liked the looks of say Bohannon from Hell on Wheels or Angel Eyes from Good, Bad, and the Ugly?

Spinning my wheels here.

Well in a broad sense, yes. Both are costuming categories and specify not only what you can and can't wear in each category, but also what guns you can and can't use. See Shooters Handbook pages 7,8 and 9. Welcome.

You don't have to do either. You could just follow the minimum requirements if you're just getting started. But, if you want to go full cowboy, I would say think more along the lines of the Tom Selleck movies for Classic Cowboy. There is a list of items that need to be worn for CC.  The rifle has to be from or a replica from pre-1880. So 1860, 1866, or 1873 rifles. And the pistols and rifle have to be .40 caliber or larger; .38-40, .44-40, .41 Colt, .44 special/magnum, .45 Colt...

Bohannon wore percussion guns, if I remember correctly.

You might want to check out NCOWS clubs in your area as well. Double your fun. Sadly, there are no NCOWS clubs here in A.T. I was part of one in Indiana and it was as much fun or more than other shoots I went to.

25 minutes ago, locklear24 said:

Alright, as I chose my .45 LC Pietta first before deciding to explore CAS, I'm trying to do my research on costuming before I make any purchases.  From my understanding, B Western seems to be all of the 50s, Roy Rogers style stuff that would show up well on black-and-white film.  Would Classic Cowboy then be everything else in a more historically accurate light?  What if I liked the looks of say Bohannon from Hell on Wheels or Angel Eyes from Good, Bad, and the Ugly?

Spinning my wheels here.

Check out the Shooters handbook for all the answers to your questions. Go to the SASS Home page.;)

B western and classic cowboy are both costume categories and have more requirements for how/what you wear than the other categories. Dressing the part is a big portion of the fun for me. I dont compete in either of those categories but I do dress more towards the classic cowboy part. You can dress up or not to whatever degree you like and shoot any of the age based or shooting style categories. 

11 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

B western and classic cowboy are both costume categories and have more requirements for how/what you wear than the other categories. Dressing the part is a big portion of the fun for me. I dont compete in either of those categories but I do dress more towards the classic cowboy part. You can dress up or not to whatever degree you like and shoot any of the age based or shooting style categories. 

Ok, the rules are what prompted me to ask in the first place.  I thought maybe everyone had to aspire to fit in one of the two categories to compete.  I wasn't sure if hybrid, common historical era or in-between looks were ok.

1 minute ago, locklear24 said:

Ok, the rules are what prompted me to ask in the first place.  I thought maybe everyone had to aspire to fit in one of the two categories to compete.  I wasn't sure if hybrid, common historical era or in-between looks were ok.

I found the shooters hand book hard to follow when I first started. Especially the category portion. The minimum dress for every other category is jeans, a long sleeved (at least 3 button henley style) button up shirt, and footwear that is not an athletic style shoe or combat boot style. Beyond that you're free to dress up as much as you want. I've shot with a fellow that wore engineer bibs and hat. no shirt or shoes lol. It's really all about having fun and shooting the bull or guns whichever lol.

I see you're not far off from where i'm at in Ohio. We have a lot of clubs all under 2 hours of us. It's a really good area for CAS. 

3 hours ago, locklear24 said:

LL24, SASS is not about re-enactment.  It is a fantasy shooting sport where competitors dress in a 19th century costume of their choosing.  One can dress as a ranch hand, a Mexican peasant, a saloon girl or madam, a military man, a railroad employee, a mountain man, a homesteader's wife, an Indian, a blacksmith, a shopkeeper, a civilian official and so on.  Historical accuracy is not essential but will help win costume contests.  Many in the Old West wore the same garb one would see in an East Coast city.  BTW, wear any eye or hearing protection you need without regard to historical accuracy.  We want you to leave a match with your hearing and sight intact.

Jeans, Long sleeve shirt and footwear other than tennis shoes is all you need to start. Don't buy anything till you get to go to a match. County is opening back up and clubs will start shooting soon. 

Once a match in your area is happening, Get in touch with the clubs POC and let him/her know you are coming. They'll make sure your first match is a memorable one. 

I don't think anyone has come into this with their character fully sussed out. (Except maybe the Carradine brothers.) It is more likely that it you'll develop, add to and fine tune it as you go. It is more fantasy than reenactment, so your options a broader. 

I'm leaning more towards a US Cavalry flavor, but in more of a Hawkes, Ford or even Peckinpah vein. So I'm nowhere near trying to be historically accurate. (Did you know that US military uniforms from that era are wool? Freaking wool. I'm in Southern California for Pete's sake.) 

Keep in mind the environment that you'll be shooting and that you'll be doing it for the whole day, if not multiple days at big events. Try to work with what you'll be comfortable in because, whereas you want to look awesome, you don't want to fight your "costume" all day when you're throwing lead downrange.

And I apologize if none of that made sense, the coffee ain't working today.

3 hours ago, locklear24 said:

You are not the first to get this mistaken impression from reading the Handbook.

Buy whatever you think you want to wear and please DON'T waste time going to a shoot to watch! Dive in and have some fun! Life is too short! I started off with a leather Aussie hat and now I have 4 beaver felt hats., vests and shirts and 3 pairs of boots. Part of the fun was buying different stuff along the way! It's only money!;)

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Jeans, Long sleeve shirt and footwear other than tennis shoes is all you need to start. Don't buy anything till you get to go to a match. County is opening back up and clubs will start shooting soon. 

Once a match in your area is happening, Get in touch with the clubs POC and let him/her know you are coming. They'll make sure your first match is a memorable one. 

Yep.

While I hate to disagree with anyone here (Rye), I can't agree that one should not go to a shoot or two to watch. I and the clubs I shoot at always recommend at least one visit before participating. Understanding the safety procedures, load and unload tables, etc. is probably best learned before trying one's hand at the sport. It's also good to see what guns people are using.

If you look at the Shooters Handbook under Categories, the two categories which have non-generic dress requirements are B-Western & Classic Cowboy which have specific dress requirements.  All the rest fall under the basic dress requirements.There are age based categories, shooting style based categories, firearm based categories and BP or Smokeless powder based categories.

Sent you an email. Call me.

Howdy LockLear24,

The Shenango River Rats posse hosts CAS matches close to where you live.  We're located in Masury, Ohio just north of Brookfield at the Brookfield Conservation Club.  You are welcome to come watch a match with us when we start shooting again.  Spectators and visitors are always welcome.  Please wear safety glasses and hearing protectors.

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting.  You'll meet some of the nicest people in the world by joining this fun sport.

Sixgun Seamus is of excellent character and will put you on the path to a goodly state of merriment.   :lol:

Sincerely, 

Slow Mo Dern

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

You don't have to do either. You could just follow the minimum requirements if you're just getting started. But, if you want to go full cowboy, I would say think more along the lines of the Tom Selleck movies for Classic Cowboy. There is a list of items that need to be worn for CC.  The rifle has to be from or a replica from pre-1880. So 1860, 1866, or 1873 rifles. And the pistols and rifle have to be .40 caliber or larger; .38-40, .44-40, .41 Colt, .44 special/magnum, .45 Colt...And be a rimmed cartridge!

Bohannon wore percussion guns, if I remember correctly. Percussion revolvers are legal in Classic Cowboy as long as they are .36 caliber or larger.

I shoot in the authentic 1875 US Marine Corps Sergeant Major's uniform I certainly could never wear a doggie cavalry outfit!:angry: I wear the white canvas summer trousers in warm weather. I use the 1890s white fatigue uniform during hot weather.

You can be a banker, storekeeper, railway conductor, bar keeper, drover, etc. whatever floats your boat. :D

Go to a match, watch, listen and learn.  :lol:

Some folks truly enjoy dressing in costumes, either historically correct or as fancy movie cowboys.  If that excites you, do it.  If dressing up doesn’t appeal to you, you don’t have to shoot in either B Western or Classic Cowboy caregories.  All the other categories can be shot wearing what you might wear while shopping at Walmart.  And you are not ever locked into a category.  As you play cowboy you can switch from one category to another any time you want, as long as equipment requirements are followed.  There is more flexibility here than you might imagine.  This is supposed to be fun, not work or aggravation.

3 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Bohannon wore percussion guns, if I remember correctly. Percussion revolvers are legal in Classic Cowboy as long as they are .36 caliber or larger

One of Bohannon's revolvers used in "Hell on Wheels" is an 1862 .44 cal. percussion Dance & Brothers

Pietta dance_revolver.jpg

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I shoot in the authentic 1875 US Marine Corps Sergeant Major's uniform I certainly could never wear a doggie cavalry outfit!:angry: I wear the white canvas summer trousers in warm weather. I use the 1890s white fatigue uniform during hot weather.

I really have to apologize. 

I wasn't aware crayons had been around that long.

:ph34r:

I am a greenhorn and have not been able to shoot yet thanx to Covid-19. I was able to get to a match before we all went under house arrest and watched a lot of youtube.  The handbook leaves a lot to be desired in some areas and is a bit confusing to say the least. The ages between 16 and 36 do not exist in the age categories, unless I read it wrong.  Now my wife and I are way beyond those years but it makes you wonder. 

-Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under.

-Junior Boy/Junior Girl: 16 and under.  

??????????????????????????????????

-Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up

- Forty-Niner/Lady Forty-Niner: Age 49 and up.

- Senior/Lady Senior: Age 60 and up.

- Silver Senior/Lady Silver Senior: Age 65 and up.

- Elder Statesman/Grand Dame: Age 70 and up.

- Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness: Age 75 and up.

- El Patron/La Patrona: Age 80 and up.

4 minutes ago, Hos'e said:

I am a greenhorn and have not been able to shoot yet thanx to Covid-19. I was able to get to a match before we all went under house arrest and watched a lot of youtube.  The handbook leaves a lot to be desired in some areas and is a bit confusing to say the least. The ages between 16 and 36 do not exist in the age categories, unless I read it wrong.  Now my wife and I are way beyond those years but it makes you wonder. 

-Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under.

-Junior Boy/Junior Girl: 16 and under.  

??????????????????????????????????

-Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up

- Forty-Niner/Lady Forty-Niner: Age 49 and up.

- Senior/Lady Senior: Age 60 and up.

- Silver Senior/Lady Silver Senior: Age 65 and up.

- Elder Statesman/Grand Dame: Age 70 and up.

- Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness: Age 75 and up.

- El Patron/La Patrona: Age 80 and up.

An age category got left out.  -Cowboy/girl, any age

To start, you don't need much, as has already been stated.

To look somewhat authentic, I recommend Wah pants with or without suspenders and a band collar shirt (collars are okay too). Avoid button-down collars as they look too preppy.

Check out Wild West Mercantile https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=3000&type=store (there are other stores that carry Old West Styles). They have been a long-time supporter of SASS.

Get comfortable boots with round toes. I like a size larger than normal, as my feet swell after walking on gravel and standing all day. I know people used to rely on them stretching to fit. I don't recommend that. I buy two sizes larger for pointy B Western boots.

Don't skimp on a hat. It must have some beaver in it. Hats aren't required except in B Western and Classic Cowboy. However, I highly recommend one to shade your face and help keep brass from being a problem.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

But thats not specifically for 17-35.

Any age-based category is not exclusive to people in that age bracket. It is just that you need to be at least that age to participate in that bracket.

Cowboy is the open age category, or baseline category. It may then subdivided into other age based categories. The same as if you were to start carving up a shooting style category like Duelist into other aged based duelist categories. You will always have the base category that anyone can shoot in, regardless of age.

2 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Any age-based category is not exclusive to people in that age bracket. It is just that you need to be at least that age to participate in that bracket.

I understand that. 

Meaning that 17-35 yo are not protected from 0-16 yo's or 36-969 yo's :D 

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I understand that. 

Meaning that 17-35 yo are not protected from 0-16 yo's or 36-969 yo's :D 

Or, more importantly, anyone over the age of the age of 36 may be protected against them younger folk, but they ain't protected from anyone older then they are.

For starters, I'd recommend spending your money on the GUNS you want.  The costuming will come later.  Most categories do not have any costuming requirements, other than prohibiting a few things and dressing western.  It does **NOT** have to be historically correct western wear; in fact, it can be MODERN western wear.  If you already dress western, just get the guns and go to a match!  Chaps, roping cuffs, replica badges, etc. are NOT needed.  Spend your money on the guns now, and if you don't already dress western, get a pair of boots and a hat.  

ONCE YOU HAVE THE GUNS, and want to start getting the costume tailored to whatever your vision is, I'd suggest Wild West Mercantile for most things.  I'm not affiliated with them in any way; I've just been a customer of theirs for almost two decades.  

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

For starters, I'd recommend spending your money on the GUNS you want.  The costuming will come later.  Most categories do not have any costuming requirements, other than prohibiting a few things and dressing western.  It does **NOT** have to be historically correct western wear; in fact, it can be MODERN western wear.  If you already dress western, just get the guns and go to a match!  Chaps, roping cuffs, replica badges, etc. are NOT needed.  Spend your money on the guns now, and if you don't already dress western, get a pair of boots and a hat.  

ONCE YOU HAVE THE GUNS, and want to start getting the costume tailored to whatever your vision is, I'd suggest Wild West Mercantile for most things.  I'm not affiliated with them in any way; I've just been a customer of theirs for almost two decades.  

^^^^^This is great advice^^^^^^

Welcome to the best game in town!  You get to dress up like a cowboy and shoot guns every weekend, doesn't get much better than that!!!

I did the same last year when I started on the advice of some good pards at my local club.  For britches I used a pair of Wrangler jeans I already had and cut the belt loops off and then added suspender buttons bought at a local sewing store.  Used the SASS discount at Wild West Mercantile for suspenders, a old west style shirt and a canvas vest that was all on sale.  For boots I wear a pair of Justin ropers I already had along with a Bailey Cowboy hat, all together I think it's cowboy enough to start out and it didn't cost me much at all.  

I put my money into guns, a good holster rig, and shotgun belt and I'm glad I did.  That investment is paying dividends at every match.   Get out to a match and start shooting you won't regret it.  I do plan on working on costuming this year, picking up pieces here and there.  I would watch the classified ads on this forum, I bought a nice shirt there last year for less than half it's retail cost.

The attached pic shows what I came up with for around 100 bucks and the hat was half of that.   I try to concentrate on seeing my front sight rather that what my costume looks like right now.

Good luck.

04218FFA-4B52-4863-83DE-26AE8E2EFF63_1_201_a.jpeg

We left out age based category: EL REY (0ver 85).   :P

I don't wear "cowboy clothes" because that's what I wear every day. Our family place began in the 1870s. Our hands from then to modern times wore darned near everything!   ;) All you need is a cheap shirt, wool or cordurey trousers, shoes or boots and a big brimmed hat even though plenty of caps, derbies, etc. made their appearance. They had no money and you don't need to spend any either.

Archived