SASS Wire Forum

Uberti .45 Colt / .22 LR Conversion

Uberti .45 Colt / .22 LR Conversion ~ any of y'all have experience with this....?    :huh:

I have a cousin in Upland who just bought one. 

It'll be a while 'til he can give a report ~ expects the usual "Covid Delay" added to the california cool-down period.  :mellow:

Howdy,

NOT to rain on anyone but most of the conversions Ive seen would

about pay fer a 22 complete.

Best

CR

I have a kit for that shoot pellets with shotgun primer  in my model 29 

slow to reload but I can shoot in back yard  

I have a  pair of the Uberti 12 shot 22s sportsmans had them for $429 

I know too many holes for cowboy but soo cheap to practice 

Indeed.  Taylor's sells 'em for $165.  But that's not the reason to buy one. 

Add another twenty to thirty bucks and you can get a Ruger Wrangler.  The Wrangler is a cool gun, but it isn't a Cattleman.  If you want to shoot .22's outta your Cattleman, the Wrangler - as neat as it is - just isn't the same.  If I still had a Cattleman, I'd buy one of the conversion's "just because."  AND prolly still buy a Wrangler.  Just because.  ;)

On the other hand, I wanted to give my son a .22 conversion for his 1911 for Christmas.  Ended up funding a GSG 1911 .22 for 'im.  ^_^

On 5/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sarge said:

Any idea why it won't work in a short stroked action?

Probably because the hammer strike is too weak to set off the cartridge.  Rim fire cartridges take a lot heavier hit to make them go bang than the toughest center fire primer.

Takes away a excuse to own another gun !

So saith The Rooster 

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Probably because the hammer strike is too weak to set off the cartridge.  Rim fire cartridges take a lot heavier hit to make them go bang than the toughest center fire primer.

I have two pair of Running Irons.  I had a thought to maybe set one pair up with these conversions and make for cheap practice.  I called Taylor's after seeing the original post.  They told me it is a timing issue.  They claim the kit will drop into a standard Uberti 73/Cattleman without retiming, but the short stroke guns may need to be retimed.  Once retimed, it may not be a simple matter to switch them back.

Archived