SASS Wire Forum

D.A.D leather

Boomstick Bruce

Does anyone know what happened to D.A.D leather? their ebay page shows nothing for sale. i want a matching crossdraw holster for the rig i had them make last year...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/d_a_d_custom_leather/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

From the reviews in the cowboy community about that maker ,that i've seen, i'd say he wasnt going to last long. If that's the same dad's leather I recall seeing a few months ago. Maybe @Doc McCandless can elaborate on the subject. I believe he has 1st hand knowledge of how they operate. 

4 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

From the reviews in the cowboy community about that maker ,that i've seen, i'd say he wasnt going to last long. If that's the same dad's leather I recall seeing a few months ago. Maybe @Doc McCandless can elaborate on the subject. I believe he has 1st hand knowledge of how they operate. 

You mean his health or the company wouldnt last because it would take him 8 months to make a rig he promised in 30 days.

well my rig took 8 months... frankly i was hoping i could find someone else to make a matching crossdraw so i wouldnt have to get him to make it, but that wasnt the case and now i might not be able to get it from him either...

13 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

You mean his health or the company wouldnt last because it would take him 8 months to make a rig he promised in 30 days.

well my rig took 8 months... frankly i was hoping i could find someone else to make a matching crossdraw so i wouldnt have to get him to make it, but that wasnt the case and now i might not be able to get it from him either...

Did you try Michigan Rattler? 

11 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I did not know anything about his health. I had no personal dealings with him either which is why I tagged someone that I thought had. But yeah his long turnaround did not look promising in comparison to his promises from what I had heard. I've only ever ordered 1 custom rig (not from D.A.D.).  That was at the end of october. Still waiting. So maybe 8 months is the norm? :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I did not know anything about his health. I had no personal dealings with him either which is why I tagged someone that I thought had. But yeah his long turnaround did not look promising in comparison to his promises from what I had heard. I've only ever ordered 1 custom rig (not from D.A.D.).  That was at the end of october. Still waiting. So maybe 8 months is the norm? :unsure:

My stuff from Mernickle is in the mail right now , I’d have to look up the date but I don’t think it was more than a month 

8 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Does anyone know what happened to D.A.D leather? their ebay page shows nothing for sale. i want a matching crossdraw holster for the rig i had them make last year...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/d_a_d_custom_leather/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Yep, eight months for a simple belt.  No adornments, no border tooling, no holsters, no loops.  Eight months of apologies and promises before I got it... and it was shorter than I ordered.  We had discussed the length needed to the center-hole and he made it, (or ordered it from his friends across the border), that overall length instead.  I'll probably pass it along on the Classified for half of what I paid for it.  

Since he, and his workers are from Mexico, maybe they are having trouble coming and going over the border during this virus mess? 

But that's ok, I'm battling Leonard Lay now, end of next month will be a year of promises and failed delivery.

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

Yep, eight months for a simple belt.  No adornments, no border tooling, no holsters, no loops.  Eight months of apologies and promises before I got it... and it was shorter than I ordered.  We had discussed the length needed to the center-hole and he made it, (or ordered it from his friends across the border), that overall length instead.  I'll probably pass it along on the Classified for half of what I paid for it.  

Since he, and his workers are from Mexico, maybe they are having trouble coming and going over the border during this virus mess? 

But that's ok, I'm battling Leonard Lay now, end of next month will be a year of promises and failed delivery.

yeah same thing happened to me. he promised 30 days, took 3 months the first go around and he had made the shotgun belt totally backwards from what i wanted i asked for 6 double shotgun shell loops across the front, 4 45colt on each side, i got 12 45 loops across the front and 4 shotgun shell loops on each side and the tooling didnt match the gunbelt. it took 5 months to remake it. i opened a case after month 3 (total of 6 months by this point) and was told it would be done in a week, closed the case and didnt see it for another 2 months... nothing but lies, apologies and ignored emails. but the quality is absolutely amazing and the tooling is exactly what i had in mind and the cost was 1/3 what the lowest quote i got from the "big guys" so he gets a break for that.

anyway, the cost vs quality is second to none, customer service and delivery goals are quite lacking but im in no hurry to get the crossdraw and probably wont even use it much. i just want it to have so he gets my business again, if hes even still in business...

ill post pics of this gorgeous rig here soon...

Doc Noper has a very fast turn around on shotgun belts but I've never ordered a complete rig from him but have heard he is fast on that as well. I ordered a rig from Mernickle at EOT several years ago and Bob told me up front if I was in a hurry he wouldn't take my order. This was late June and he said it would be Christmas before he could have it done. I placed the order and received my rig in mid November, I was very happy. Under promise and over deliver is a pretty good business model!

Randy

I believe Capt. Baylor did a review a while back. His take was fairly negative due to the quality of the leather. I believe he said it was too thin to stand up to our game. What’s your opinion as to the quality Boomstick? The work is very pretty, but a rig that won’t last or retain its shape for reholstering... well...

20 minutes ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

I believe Capt. Baylor did a review a while back. His take was fairly negative due to the quality of the leather. I believe he said it was too thin to stand up to our game. What’s your opinion as to the quality Boomstick? The work is very pretty, but a rig that won’t last or retain its shape for reholstering... well...

The two rigs I got from D.A.D. are too thick not too thin; I think they'll hold up fine. The carving looks machine stamped to me, not hand carved.

I sold one rig on here and the other I have in a box to take to the range for a loaner rig.

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Doc Noper has a very fast turn around on shotgun belts but I've never ordered a complete rig from him but have heard he is fast on that as well. I ordered a rig from Mernickle at EOT several years ago and Bob told me up front if I was in a hurry he wouldn't take my order. This was late June and he said it would be Christmas before he could have it done. I placed the order and received my rig in mid November, I was very happy. Under promise and over deliver is a pretty good business model!

Randy

I ordered a belt from Doc Noper, set up a bit different, the way I wanted it.  From ordering to it being in my hands... just 10 days.  Sweet! 

DSC_0160.thumb.JPG.89149380335a97ffd8191c93791e0f5d.JPG

I use Johnny Ross (johnny@jm-leather.com) in Bulls Gap, Tenn.  If you e-mail him or get him on the phone he's easy to work with and the quality is as good as anything I've used. 

Here's his web site.  http://jm-leather.com/

He will make anything you want.  Just give him a call.  

13 hours ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

Like someone else said, I feel the leather is thicker than it needs to be. That's not a bad thing to me. The holsters are two layers of very thick leather and have reinforcements inside so they won't get floppy. This is a very well made rig, worth way more than the cost but if someone makes a promise they better keep it and if they can't deliver when they said they could, tell the customer something came up and it might take longer than promised, don't wait for me to ask where my order is because it's almost a month since the promised date...

Quality: amazing

Cost: amazing

Customer service: amazingly terrible

On another note, I messaged him through eBay and this is the response

New message from: d_a_d_custom_leather (480Turquoise Star)

Hi there I'm restrited from ebay for the moment but I will get back in business soon thank you...

22 hours ago, McCandless said:

I ordered a belt from Doc Noper, set up a bit different, the way I wanted it.  From ordering to it being in my hands... just 10 days.  Sweet! 

McC and Randy,

I am with you on the recommendation of Doc Noper.  I like his holster rigs also ...but IMO, he is tops for shotgun belts and I have had or had numerous others.  Sassy and I both use Doc's.  She likes the elastic loops and I tried them but ended up finding traditional leather pairs more to my liking (actually my favored belt has the leather shotgun pairs but canvas 38 loops).  Doc is good to make configuration to please customer's desires.  Excellent work and great cant to shotgun shells.

Archived