SASS Wire Forum

Whiskey vs. Bourbon

Can someone tell me the difference be whiskey and bourbon? I like blended whiskey like Forty Creek, or Revel Stoke, (pecan flavored) as sipping whiskey. My son gave me a crock jug for Christmas with Makers Mark. Wow that's hard to get down. Im working on it though as a snake bite preventive.  Is Jim Beam bourbon? I worked for a guy that on payday after the horses were put up he would give us our checks and we had to sit and have a few shots of Jim Beam. I was the youngest of the hands and I would force it down or I would suffer all week as being not quite the cowboy they were. I 'fraid to try it (Jim Beam) again and don't want to waste my hard earned retirement $.  I need advice (which is not often) and I seem to remember someone saying "Never let a good whiskey to go waste". Since my 83 year old palate has had some really bad stuff down it would I like JimBeam? and Is it bourbon?

Howdy,

I don't quite know if you are serious.

For the purist bourbon has to be made in Bourbon County Kentucky

or at least in Kentucky.

Whiskey or Whisky is the more general class.

I forget which spelling is the 'best'.

For many its all a lot of one upsmanship and far more heat than light.

I had one fella say he couldn't stand scotch only liked bourbon.

Well again its all about where its made and labeled.

If you are looking to find a nice drink the blended ones are most consistant.

You can always sit down at a bar and have the bartender pour various kinds

and find what you like. Hopefully before you fall on the floor.

If you want to buy bottles to find out which ones you don't like, it could be expensive.

If you are just looking for an inexpensive smooth drink, try Cutty Sark..

I believe that's how its spelled.

Of course different strokes for different folks is the name of this game.

Some spend hundreds on a fifth.

Good work if you can get it.

Best

CR

who drinks very little on docs orders these days.

this could be a fun post to watch, too.

and yes jim beam is bourbon....

Technically speaking, bourbon is a whiskey. Purists will say that in order for a whiskey to be a bourbon, it has to be made from corn within the boundaries of the state of Kentucky.  Nowadays, bourbon refers more to a style of whiskey to most than a place. I am of the former group, being that bourbon is my drink of choice. I have dabbled in Scotch whiskys (which are not bad for a change of pace, but the wrong one will leave the distinct taste of dirty socks in your mouth for some time), rye whiskeys (which I am not a fan of, too hot and harsh for my palate) and sour mash whiskeys (gross). 

Jim Beam is probably not a bourbon I would recommend. Knob Creek (which is made alongside Jim Beam) is a good bourbon. For a non- Kentucky bourbon, I would point you in the direction of High West blended bourbon. 

Corn is the technical necessary prime ingredient in Bourbon. Some say it has to be made in Kaintuck. I disagree.

Recommending spirits Is a tricky prospect due to the differences in everyone’s individual tastes. So I can only say what I enjoyI would say, based on what you have said, that straight bourbon may not be the drink for you. Especially the higher proof blends. Stick with an 84 proof drink. 

Scotch can be great or awful...and expensive. 

Personally I prefer Basil Hayden for bourbon but there are others I enjoy. I like a Rye also, if it’s done right.

You might want to try a smooth Canadian Whiskey like Pendleton Midnight. But don’t feel that you have to like anything because someone says it’s great.

Your choice. If it goes down smooth and you enjoy it, it’s good liquor.

Purists can do and say what they want but by law, bourbon must be made in the USA. (Like Champagne must come from France. All the other bubblies are sparkling wines.)

Bourbon Requirements

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States.” The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

• Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
  • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
  • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
  • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
  • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
  • Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

and whether the purists like it or not Jack Daniels is legally a bourbon Worldwide as well as a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey.

Jim Beam is a Bourbon.

Whiskey is the American spelling, also used in Ireland.  Whisky is the spelling just about everywhere else.

Bourbon is my favorite whiskey. I like it on the rocks and really prefer ice made in a large ice mold. For economical like Evan Williams (black label). When I want to splurge I like Yellowstone.  http://limestonebranch.com/spirits/yellowstone-select-kentucky-straight-bourbon/ 

or Bulleit https://www.bulleit.com

If you don’t like Maker’s Mark you will not like Jim Beam. Maker’s Mark tastes much better than Jim Beam. 

Smoothness Levels

Maker’s Mark - higher

Jack Daniel’s - high

Jim Beam - medium

Your question is akin to "what is the difference between a car and a Chevrolet?" A Chevrolet is a car, although there are many other types of cars. Bourbon is whiskey, although there are many other types of whiskey.

As I understand it, whiskey is a distilled spirit made from grain, which is then placed in a wooden barrel and aged for some length of time. The wooden barrel give the spirit both flavor and color. Rye, barley and corn are all used to make whiskey. I don't know of any wheat whiskey, but it would not surprise me.

Gin and vodka are also made from grain, but they are not aged in wood which is why they are clear instead of brown.

Rum is made from sugarcane. Dark rum is aged in wood, but since it is sugarcane-based not grain, it is not whiskey.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Your question is akin to "what is the difference between a car and a Chevrolet?" A Chevrolet is a car, although there are many other types of cars. Bourbon is whiskey, although there are many other types of whiskey.

As I understand it, whiskey is a distilled spirit made from grain, which is then placed in a wooden barrel and aged for some length of time. The wooden barrel give the spirit both flavor and color. Rye, barley and corn are all used to make whiskey. I don't know of any wheat whiskey, but it would not surprise me.

Numerous Whiskeys are made from wheat.

Gin and vodka are also made from grain, but they are not aged in wood which is why they are clear instead of brown.

I've had Vodka made from grapes and potatoes.

Rum is made from sugarcane. Dark rum is aged in wood, but since it is sugarcane-based not grain, it is not whiskey.

Supposedly vodka was originally made from potatoes.

But I have read that the major vodka makers now use grain neutral spirit.

SPELLING

My understanding is that WHISKEY is bourbon and WHISKY is scotch.

——————————-

Jim Beam is a bourbon I don’t like at all.

I usually have Jack Daniels around.

Cat Brules

25 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

SPELLING

My understanding isn’t that WHISKEY is bourbon and WHISKY is scotch.

——————————-

Jim Beam is a bourbon I don’t like at all.

I usually have Jack Daniels around.

Cat Brules

in that context, go the other way. Bourbon is WHISKEY, Scotch is WHISKY.

WHISKEY is either American or Irish, includes spirits not bourbon, WHISKY is everywhere else in the world, Scots, England, Canada, Japan etc., includes spirits not Scotch

Many spirits are WHISKEY or WHISKY but are neither Bourbon nor Scotch.

I went through a brief flirtation with single malt Scotch, but it was more effort than reward and I let it go.

In Summer, I'm a gin and tonic drinker (Bombay Sapphire, Schweppes Tonic with quinine and Rose's Lime Juice), as well as a variety of tropical drinks using Pusser's rum and fruit juices.

In winter, I don't drink much; if I do, it's usually Bailey's on ice, or a local substitute made at a farm-to-table restaurant using their own cream and unidentified Irish whiskey; they will mix it to your taste or tolerance.

LL

25 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

in that context, go the other way. Bourbon is WHISKEY, Scotch is WHISKY.

WHISKEY is either American or Irish, includes spirits not bourbon, WHISKY is everywhere else in the world, Scots, England, Canada, Japan etc., includes spirits not Scotch

Many spirits are WHISKEY or WHISKY but are neither Bourbon nor Scotch.

Yeah, you quoted it a few seconds after I posted it.  I fixed it immediately.

BUT, American Whiskey is bourbon.

Cat Brules

Tascosa, you may not like my advise, because I am not talented  enough to know good whiskey(whisky) from bad.

I just know what I like. My drinking whiskey is MacNaughtons. Like it on ice. Some folks would have a problem with

adding ice to my drink. But that is what I like. I also enjoy Jim Beam, especially with my fishing partner. But he is now

on the other side, so we can't do that no mo. My wife brought home a bottle of Scotch from Scotland. Not real expensive stuff, but not the barrel bottom either. Can't hardly get it down, but I sip it so I don't make her feel bad. So I guess, what ever turns your crankshaft, sez I. 

I think both Forty creek and Revel Stoke are Canadian whiskey (blended whiskey?). Scotch is off the table for me. So what I have learned from y'all, and I appreciate you taken the time to educate me in the finer points of distilled spirits, Jim Beam is burbon but out of the  picture. Jack Daniels I may give a try. And I was serious.I am trying to expand my horizons concerning booze. Why  you may ask? Beats the heck out of me. My running pard and I used to be the wild bunch, and now we are the over the hill gang. Hes 87 getting the start of altzhimers (sp) so I am not going to leave any stone unturned regarding booze. Getting nosey and don't want to miss a good drink. I may give a try for Rye whiskey which a few of you and Marshal Mo hare mentioned. I can see there is a lot of interest and intelligence here in the saloon concerning booze, as it should be. Thanks again for your time and I will keep you informed as to the outcome of my booze tasting.

Shouldn’t it be bourbon is whiskey but whiskey  is not bourbon?? :lol:

The law dictates what is called bourbon. And it's made from corn.

Jack Daniel's is overpriced and is not a bourbon.

I enjoyed Jim Beam bourbon for decades, until it became a Japanese company.

Wild Turkey bourbon is now owned by the Italians. So.....

I now enjoy Evan Williams - made and owned by kentuckians.

But I guess it shouldn't matter-

my Wranglers are made in Mexico and most of my revolvers come from Italy :wacko:

But you got to draw the line somewhere I guess  :FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you don’t like Maker’s Mark you will not like Jim Beam. Maker’s Mark tastes much better than Jim Beam. 

Smoothness Levels

Maker’s Mark - higher

Jack Daniel’s - high

Jim Beam - medium

Go suck on a Bulleit. :lol:

OLG 

After fifty years as a bourbon drinker the only definitive thing I can say on the subject is price is not indicative of taste. It’s all about the flavor profile that you prefer which has little to do with price.  Some of the worst that I’ve had have been the most expensive  

10 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Current favorite.  Was a favorite of Skeeter Skelton as well.

Henry-Mckenna.jpg

There you go Old Stump Blower it’s my favorite. If it was good enough for Skeeter it’s good enough for me .

A real good example of expensive is not always the best 

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Never tried it. 

I think it’s close to Maker’s Mark. Maybe just a tad below it. I enjoy Bulleit Rye too.

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Tascosa, you may not like my advise, because I am not talented  enough to know good whiskey(whisky) from bad.

I just know what I like. My drinking whiskey is MacNaughtons. Like it on ice. Some folks would have a problem with

adding ice to my drink. But that is what I like. I also enjoy Jim Beam, especially with my fishing partner. But he is now

on the other side, so we can't do that no mo. My wife brought home a bottle of Scotch from Scotland. Not real expensive stuff, but not the barrel bottom either. Can't hardly get it down, but I sip it so I don't make her feel bad. So I guess, what ever turns your crankshaft, sez I. 

McAllen 12 Double Cask is the closest Scotch to Bourbon I have tasted. Very smooth.

Many of them taste like burnt rubber to me. Finding a good one is expensive.

As you say “I just know what I like”.

That’s the bottom line.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Yeah, you quoted it a few seconds after I posted it.  I fixed it immediately.

BUT, American Whiskey is bourbon.

Cat Brules

You could certainly say that Bourbon is The American Whiskey. 

You can usually get the small sampler bottles at bigger likker  stores like in Lubbock...don’t know what they have in Littlefield anymore as it was dry last time I was there.  That way you can try most any for less than a couple bucks.  

I don’t care for Beam either so try Devil’s River, Bulleit, Or Knob Creek for Bourbon.  If too stout I really think you’d like Rye whiskey especially Devils River.  Bulletin Rye is pretty good too.  Nowadays I prefer rye over bourbon.

By the way, rye whiskey was more popular than bourbon up till WW2 and it’s making a big comeback 

I tried to like Bourbon, but never developed the taste for it. I tried numerous brands, including Four Roses, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Bulliet, Buffalo Trace... I have enjoyed a couple of Rye Whiskeys, Redemption and WhistlePig, but they are not my go to sippers. I prefer Irish Whiskey and Speyside Scotch. From Ireland, I usually have Red Breast or Green Spot around. Scotch Whiskys I try to keep on hand are Abelour, Bunnahabhain (unpeated Islay Scotch), Macallan, and Balvenie.

Makers Mark has red wheat as one of.its ingredients thus the different taste. I find Makers quite yummy.

Jack and Jim are lower shelf stuff although they do offer some small batch stuff that gets pretty good; usually aged 6 plus years. Otherwise Jack and Jim work well as mixers.

Bulleit, Knob Creek, Makers, Buffalo Trace, Jefferson, 1792, George T Stagg, Evan Williams, 4 Roses, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey, Breckenridge, Bib and Tucker, Basil Hayden, High West, Woodford Reserve, Redemption, Hudson, Wyoming, Pappy Van Winkle, Bookers, and Blantons are all quite good offering varying tastes and experiences. Currently Sazerac Rye is my favorite. 

Don't be afraid to try new stuff. Maybe get together with whiskey drinking friends and everyone bring something different to try?

8 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

You can always sit down at a bar and have the bartender pour various kinds

and find what you like. Hopefully before you fall on the floor.

I did that once.  It was the durndest thing.  Every drink was better than the last.  I told the barkeep he shoulda started with the last one and saved me a lot of time!  This was at a distillery and I bought a bottle before I left, but i think he gave me the wrong bottle because it wasn't near as good the next night. 

I only like bourbon on ice, but I have recently discovered I'm a fan of rye whiskey. 

Archived