SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Stuff About Guadalcanal

Subdeacon Joe

https://text-message.blogs.archives.gov/2012/12/10/the-marines-and-japanese-souvenirs-on-guadalcanal-august-october-1942/

On the morning of August 7, 1942, the Marines landed on Guadalcanal, relatively near an airfield that the Japanese had begun constructing, and the relatively small number of Japanese on the island melted into the jungle.  The following day the Marines began collecting Japanese souvenirs near the airfield.  On August 9 a 1st Sergeant with the 11th Marines (artillery) reported that he saw some members from the 1st Marines, First Marine Division, returning from chasing the Japanese and that they had acquired Japanese souvenirs. The following day this sergeant reported that he went into a Japanese weather station, found weather charts, and “other interesting things.”  Around August 10 or 11, members of 11th Marines found in some rubbish near a tool shed among scattered papers, blank notebook paper which they divided among themselves.  Within a few days many Marines were writing letters on Japanese paper, as well as using Japanese occupation money they had found at the airfield to buy souvenirs, and by August 13 one gunnery sergeant had began conducting a small class in Japanese flower arrangement; his text a beautifully illustrated book on the subject recently published in Tokyo and picked up as a souvenir.

https://taskandpurpose.com/history/the-message-that-ended-the-first-major-offensive-in-the-pacific-during-wwii

With a little witty repartee over the radio, the Allies first major offensive in the Pacific during World War II came to a close as American forces secured Guadalcanal on Feb. 9, 1943.

"Total and complete defeat of Japanese forces on Guadalcanal effected 1625 today . . . Am happy to report this kind of compliance with your orders . . . because Tokyo Express no longer has terminus on Guadalcanal,” read the radio dispatch from Maj. Gen. Alexander McCarrell Patch to Adm. William Halsey, according to the Army.

The response from South Pacific Headquarters was fittingly optimistic:

"When I sent a Patch to act as tailor for Guadalcanal, I did not expect him to remove the enemy's pants and sew it on so quickly . . . Thanks and congratulations.''

This meme I take with a large grain of salt, especially considering the image used in it.  The creator could have used one from Guadalcanal.  Still humorous.
Image may contain: one or more people and text

3 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Semper Fi. I've never been to jail so that only leaves the other place that the marine recruiter could have found me. lol

Well, whoever (supposedly) wrote that message did forget to mention bawdy houses.  :D

My godfather was a surgeon attached to the First Marine Division, He operated until he passed out. They dragged him out until he awoke. The first thing he did was toss away his Red Cross arm band. The second thing was get a 1911A1. He was attacked in his fighting hole and shot the sword bearing officer.

I'm sure he wished that he had the time needed to search for souvenirs.  :P

I read during Desert Storm that a rumor was going around the Iraqi troops that US Marines had to eat a human baby before graduating basic training. 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, whoever (supposedly) wrote that message did forget to mention bawdy houses.  :D

Remember, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children organization was founded in a bar (Tun Tavern).

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

I read during Desert Storm that a rumor was going around the Iraqi troops that US Marines had to eat a human baby before graduating basic training. 

We probably started it lol

19 hours ago, Cholla said:

The  British  troops opposing the Americans in the fall of 1776 were told the rebels ate babies.

And after the Battle of Trenton:

From The British are Coming by Rick Atkinson

Giddy soldiers donned the tall brass hats finched from dead Grenadiers, strutting about with their elbows cocked. Others stacked captured muskets, bass drums, and bayonets in wagons for removal to Pennsylvania, or prodded their captives into columns. Some Hessians having been told that Yankee rebels ate their prisoners went glassy eyed with fear. Washing watched,  no doubt with pride and perhaps with amazement.

Archived