SASS Wire Forum

COVID Question

Okiepan

If masks are the answer to help reduce The spread of  this horrible virus , Then why are states letting criminals out of incarceration ?

But to arrest and jail citizens that go to a beach or cut someones hair 

I just don't get it

I was visiting with a neighbor yesterday that his employer requires everyone to wear a mask.  They provide a pullover tube affair. Part of his job is to perform a task that could have a flash fire. To this he's required to wear clothing that is fire retardant.  But the mask is made of polyester. Sure to melt in flame on your face.  He pointed that point out and they made some exception when performing that job task but insisted on distancing.  They are looking for replacement masks that are flame retardant. 

I pointed out the mask was worse than useless because it didn't block the virus,  it would just hold it so you could breath it in (or out). Then handle the mask and you transfer the virus to or from your hands.  He had the tube mask on (but not pulled up).  He stretched it out.  It was like pantyhose!  You could see through it.  I could see the look on his face. 

I asked how often they replaced the mask. They were issued one and told to wash it once a week. 

I kid you not!

I wear my cowboy bandana but ONLY if I'm required to. The post office requires it and some stores but I try to avoid them. I keep in the car.

IMG_2041.jpg

This covid-19 thing, in all likelihood, will go down as one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated and all to keep somebody out of the White House for four more years. Sad, look how many people have been hurt by its machinations and the civil liberties we’ve lost.http://dlvr.it/RWLPW1?fbclid=IwAR1EHpvx4EuKLmdA01HVqr--nvNMR3wYLN07aEZIL_rMhqZIIXp37F8qCPI.

Nothing short of an N 95 mask will stop most viruses including COVID 19.  The N 95 filters particles down to 0.3 microns.  At it largest, the COVID 19 virion is 0.14 microns; half the size of the N 95 filtration limit.  N 95 masks are a high-tech design that utilizes four methods of filtration; inertial impaction, interception, diffusion, and electrostatic attraction. Given that the COVID 19 virus is significantly smaller than the direct filtration limits of the N 95, virions can be suspended in the filter through the first three methods only if they are also trapped in some larger form in the aerosol like a water molecule.  It's primarily the electrostatic method that captures virions and that has a limited lifespan (8 hours of continuous use according to the CDC).  Home-made masks have no electrostatic capacity and the cloth weave even in layers is too loose to have any filtering effect on virions, but they are damn good virion incubators as they trap moisture and are rarely properly sterilized.  Knowing this, I won't voluntarily join in the farce by wearing a homemade mask.  These mandates are not based on science but sociology and politics.  Here's a good analysis of the filtering properties of cloth masks compared to the N 95.  https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744 

Howdy,

My sister is retired from working in a hospital as admin.

She is making two layer 100% cotton masks.

They have a pocket for putting in a layer or two of coffee filter.

Im not sure how this compares to that commercial mask but I do

like the washability of cotton and the replacement of the paper filter.

She says that they are hard to talk thru.

And the bad news is she cant get much in the way of fabric.

Remember black masks can look very aggressive to folks.

I keep my mask on the dashboard of my car and the sun hits it all afternoon.

Best

CR

When the same group of 'EXPERTS' are telling us how bad C19 is and how important it is to wear masks, 

how can we believe much of anything ANYONE tells us.   I mean, even all the EXPERTS have differing facts for their

different stories.

Heck, if you look at statistics from some big cities, 100% of their deaths the past couple months are from C19.

No one has died from any other sickness, illness, disease, or age related problem.   Every one died from C19 or its effects.

Just remember:   An Expert is a drip under pressure..... ;)

..........Widder

15 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

If masks are such a cure all then why are the doctors and nurses still contracting the virus. 

Truth.  Even the N 95 is only 95% effective at it's best.  With enough exposure, the odds are that a healthcare worker is going to contract the virus.

1 hour ago, Okiepan said:

If masks are the answer to help reduce The spread of  this horrible virus , Then why are states letting criminals out of incarceration ?

But to arrest and jail citizens that go to a beach or cut someones hair 

I just don't get it

OK Pard, I'll try to explain the way it works here in Canada:

Your experience may differ.

First; the criminals let out of jail here are repeat customers. Frequent Flyers if you will. They create a lot of repeat business for the Legal Industry.

Now a regular Joe or Jane citizen will only likely do something to draw the wrath of The Authorities, (by accident) once in their lifetime, if at all, BUT statistics are needed to show more resources are needed and that "We Are Doing All We Can!"; "We have XX# people incarcerated and it's not working. We still have all this crime."

"It must be all the guns coming from the US."

Do you get it now?

25 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

Truth.  Even the N 95 is only 95% effective at it's best.  With enough exposure, the odds are that a healthcare worker is going to contract the virus.

That’s what I mean. If the highest quality PPE isn’t completely effective then how can we think cloth and paper masks will protect us. Most of the ordinary population wears a mask when required and then take it on and off as needed. They handle it many more times than the professionals do that wear them for a living. Each time transferring more and more germs when we handle it. By the time you take it off at the end of an outing we probably have been breathing in everything from the places we shopped to the gas station we stopped at on the way home. Some people will wash them at then end of the day but I bet most will put the same cloth mask on again tomorrow and start all over. 

Didn’t the Surgeon General say masks are not the protection that everyone thinks?

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Didn’t the Surgeon General say masks are not the protection that everyone thinks?

Yes. He did. Early on, many didn't believe because they thought it was a ploy to keep those masks for "themselves" IE healthcare workers. Depending on the type of mask, most don't seal 100%. When the mask gets moist, it can become less effective. Now with things opening up and the need for these to be available to businesses that require them, they are changing their tune on "necessary". Part of that is good science, part of that is self-serving. They cannot have it both ways.

6 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

Nothing short of an N 95 mask will stop most viruses including COVID 19.  The N 95 filters particles down to 0.3 microns.  At it largest, the COVID 19 virion is 0.14 microns; half the size of the N 95 filtration limit.  N 95 masks are a high-tech design that utilizes four methods of filtration; inertial impaction, interception, diffusion, and electrostatic attraction. Given that the COVID 19 virus is significantly smaller than the direct filtration limits of the N 95, virions can be suspended in the filter through the first three methods only if they are also trapped in some larger form in the aerosol like a water molecule.  It's primarily the electrostatic method that captures virions and that has a limited lifespan (8 hours of continuous use according to the CDC).  Home-made masks have no electrostatic capacity and the cloth weave even in layers is too loose to have any filtering effect on virions, but they are damn good virion incubators as they trap moisture and are rarely properly sterilized.  Knowing this, I won't voluntarily join in the farce by wearing a homemade mask.  These mandates are not based on science but sociology and politics.  Here's a good analysis of the filtering properties of cloth masks compared to the N 95.  https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744 

Yeah, but you can't convince the sheeples of that. I've gotten shouted down making a few posts on FB like this. Lots of folks drinking the Kool Aid. They think if you don't wear some useless mask you're a selfish inconsiderate SOB. You sound like a doctor, or at least someone very knowledgeable about such things. Most people never even heard of a HEPA filter let alone about the workings of one.

JHC

I find it interesting that after all this time has past some people are JUST NOW talking about the eye’s being very susceptible to contracting the C19. 

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/08/coronavirus-in-your-eyes-risk-is-higher-due-to-strength-of-strain-say-researchers

I honestly don’t see how the mask would be very effective even if the filter media was good enough to do the job . I worked in a chemical plant for a good portion of my life and had to wear a full face respirator fairly regularly. We had to be able to preform a positive and negative fit check to ensure the seal and you couldn’t have a beard and needed to be clean shaven . These masks have no better sealing properties than a dust mask . If you inhale/exhale deeply the flow is going to go around the mask . If someone sneezes I can buy it contains some , maybe stops some . Maybe it keeps you from touching your mouth or nose . But with no seal I’m jut not buying it’s very effective 

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

This covid-19 thing, in all likelihood, will go down as one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated and all to keep somebody out of the White House for four more years. Sad, look how many people have been hurt by its machinations and the civil liberties we’ve lost.

Thanks.  I was beginning to think I wast he only person left who believed that.

Hey, It wasn't all that long ago that it was illegal in many places to wear a mask of any kind in public.  BS grows and multiplies as time goes on.

The masks likely will be permeable to viruses.  However, they can block or impede droplets that may hold viruses.  And you may get some air from around the perimeter of the mask, but most of it will be filtered through the mask material.  Now, whereas it is theoretically possible to develop an infection from a small number of virus particles (virions) or even a single particle, it's much less likely than a "cloud" of 'em.  

So, are the masks perfect?  Not hardly.  Helpful?  Perhaps.  That said, with my personal risk level (very high), I will do my best to avoid people and I will wear the mask when doing my infrequent necessary shopping trips.  

By the way - ever been having a conversation with someone and feel droplets of spittle on your face from the other person?

This whole argument reminds me of a "discussion" I had with a friend about forty years ago.  We were both just-for-fun cyclists at the time, and Carl flat refused to wear a helmet.  His logic was that the cycling helmets had ventilation holes - if you fell, according to Carl, it was possible for a stick to enter that hole and puncture your skull and kill you.  Therefore, he would not wear one.  

If someone does not wish to wear a mask, that's their decision.  Go for it.  Grin into the wind, even.  But please keep your distance from me; we can have a good conversation from six to ten feet.  I've seen people argue that they have a RIGHT to be within six feet of me.  Uh... I don't agree and will defend my "space."  Like I said before, I might give the courtesy of a warning once.  Then someone's gonna be picking their sorry ass up off the ground.  

I made a grocery store run yesterday. Many people were wearing masks. Many of them were wearing them incorrectly, i.e. with their noses above the mask. If you're going to do that, what's the point of wearing it in the first place? I've also seen two people come out of the store and get into a single vehicle, one wearing a mask and the other not. How is this helping? If one has issues requiring them to be masked, doesn't it follow that the other should be masked as well? Or is one of them paranoid while the other isn't?

There was a mother with two little girls, maybe five and nine, in the store yesterday. All three were masked. The smaller girl was fiddling with her mask every time I saw them. She also tripped and both hands hit the floor, followed by her once again fiddling with her mask. How exactly is this solving anything? 

Rule to follow:

If you are healthy, don't wear a mask.

If you are sick, stay home.

Here in GA for a while if I went to town and didn't wear a mask i got mean looks.  I was among the minority.   Today I went to town and only saw 1 with a mask with a changeable filter and the mask looked dingy so he looked like he felt weird.   No one else in the feed store was wearing one.  I think it is about to change where a lot of folks get tired of it all and go back to normal.   

4 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Yeah, but there's the issue of having it without symptoms.  I just bought a lot of disposable masks as I think I'll be more inclined to mask up after we 'reopen.'  Up to now I've been carrying a bandana around in case somebody required it.  And remember, the cloth masks are designed to keep you from spreading it, not to keep you from getting it.  All that being said, except for high-risk people, I do think the danger has been grossly overrated and politicized.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Yeah, but there's the issue of having it without symptoms.  I just bought a lot of disposable masks as I think I'll be more inclined to mask up after we 'reopen.'  Up to now I've been carrying a bandana around in case somebody required it.  And remember, the cloth masks are designed to keep you from spreading it, not to keep you from getting it.  All that being said, except for high-risk people, I do think the danger has been grossly overrated and politicized.

People don't seem to realize that masks work no better one way than the other. Kinda like tracers, they work (or don't) both ways.

JHC

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Rule to follow:

If you are sick, stay home.

Good advice.  Someone should tell these folks:

San Francisco study reveals 90% of people who tested positive for coronavirus had been leaving home to go to work

I suspect they weren't limiting their outings to just "work."  No one's gonna tell THEM they can't go out and mingle.  :mellow:

Okay, I'm one of the misguided Sheeple.  I'm not a scientist, or a politician, or a medical expert, and since the motels are closed I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.   I just read the news.  I read where just about every country in the world had some form of lock down, wearing of masks, and social distancing.  Every state in our nation locked down and has recommended wearing of masks and social distancing.  In light of what I've read from the medical experts, it seems like common sense to me to take these precautions.  Got my hair cut yesterday and both my barber and I wore masks even though neither of us have the virus.  I also avoid pointing unloaded guns at people even though in the entire history of the world, nobody has ever been shot by a gun that was actually unloaded.  But again, I'm just one of Sheeple. 

I was just looking at the stats - as of today (05/09) nationwide there have been:

1,318,218 cases identified 

221,919 recoveries

78,479 deaths

That's a 6% fatality rate... or, out if every sixteen or seventeen people who get the bug, someone's gonna die.  

I'll do what I can to reduce my own risks.

I can only regurgitate the lies I read and hear in the internet. I don’t watch tv. I quit listening to the radio. I look around and don’t see people falling over dead, just society in general acting in an abnormal fashion as if mankind is so fragile it’s on the verge of extinction.  I give our creator a lot more credit than that.

Everyday it’s just one trick after another played on us by puppeteers veiled behind their curtains.

42 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I was just looking at the stats - as of today (05/09) nationwide there have been:

221,919 recoveries

78,479 deaths

That's a 6% fatality rate... or, out if every sixteen or seventeen people who get the bug, someone's gonna die.  

Your number don't add up!

Did the other 1,017,820 people get kidnapped by aliens?

25 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Your number don't add up!

Did the other 1,017,820 people get kidnapped by aliens?

Not supposed to add up.

The balance have not recovered or died ~ still sick.

By the way - be sure to click on the link tomorrow for updated numbers.  ;)

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not supposed to add up.

The balance have not recovered or died ~ still sick.

None of us know that any of these numbers are true. And if that many are still sick why aren’t hospitals overrun like they told us they would be?

i seriously began developing doubts about all of this by the near total lack of masks worn by medics, firemen and police around here last 3-4 weeks, but every other knucklehead around does cause he heard on the news that it’s necessary.

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

221,919 recoveries

78,479 deaths

The books are cooked. My brother recently passed away and they classified his death as covid-19 related. The doctor had just given him 2-3 months to live due to advanced cirrhosis  of the liver undoubtedly linked to his alcoholism, emphysema, and nephrotic kidney failure. When I received the initial call of his passing there was no mention of him having the covid virus and a week passed and I got another call from my sister and she told me that he had covid-19. I asked her how they came to that conclusion and she told me that his doctor who is also the county coroner made the call because they tested him after he had passed, huh!!! Why would they test a dead guy when they don’t even have enough tests to test live people? He was in such bad shape a tooth ache would have killed him and they go and list it as covid-19. Call me a skeptic.

I know someone who flies a fixed wing ambulance plane and they’ve been instructed to list every patient a covid patient because they get a lot more money from Uncle Sam than they do run of the mill patients. I check the statistics every day too and wonder how much they are skewed to support the cause. 

I look at the numbers and see the 6% who got the virus died but then I compare those numbers to the total population and 99.97% of the population lived.  Here in G privacy laws prevent them from recording who got better(seems odd to me) and they said most go home to get well so they don't know the number.   Imagine its the same elsewhere 

23 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OK Pard, I'll try to explain the way it works here in Canada:

Your experience may differ.

First; the criminals let out of jail here are repeat customers. Frequent Flyers if you will. They create a lot of repeat business for the Legal Industry.

Now a regular Joe or Jane citizen will only likely do something to draw the wrath of The Authorities, (by accident) once in their lifetime, if at all, BUT statistics are needed to show more resources are needed and that "We Are Doing All We Can!"; "We have XX# people incarcerated and it's not working. We still have all this crime."

"It must be all the guns coming from the US."

Do you get it now?

Sad and more true than many of us would like to admit . It’s all about $$ and finding a way to force you to “need” the government 

I've read about the Great Covid-1 fears in the late 1870's and their attempts to prevent catching it! :ph34r::D

Bank-Robbers-256-pixels-wide-171x300.jpg.2b575a846180666cf7162e805a9a4365.jpg

Archived