SASS Wire Forum

Simple fix for a complex problem Dillon 550

Navy Davey

I have been having primer seating problems for the last month with all the extra reloading like everyone else is doing. I'm lucky I work two blocks away from Dillon I took all the primer parts down to them they looked at all my stuff and replaced the under plate and gave me a alignment tool ($10.99). After half hour of cleaning and using the alignment tool my machine is running like new. Highly recommend getting one I will use mine every time I swap shellplate.

Yes, alignment of the primer slide is critical.  As is keeping it really clean.   A little bit of dirt or tumbling media dislodged from the inside of cases during depriming will gum up the primer slide to where it won't pick up a primer from the tube.

Alignment of the primer seating cup is important - don't let it get loose and move off of vertical.

And the two little screws holding the roller bracket/shell feed plate in place (installed from bottom side of bracket) will back out and can lead to failure to cycle the primer slide fully, too.  Those benefit from being loc-tited in place.

Good luck, GJ

One word of caution, Do Not over tighten the 2 Allen head cap screws holding the primer tumble assembly to the frame.  Doing so will distort the cast body of the part and cause many primer feed issues. I purchased a couple of metric flat washers to go on those Allen screws to spread the tension out without deforming the primer feed body.

TB

I have never had a problem with the primer feed on my 550...but that may be because there has never been a primer used on the press...

Archived