SASS Wire Forum

Need help with a Pietta 1873 hand

Graywolf Tate

I have a pre-transfer bar 1873 Pietta "Liberty" in .45 Colt. The hand is the kind that has a flat leaf spring attached and the spring is broken. I have been unsuccessful so far in finding a replacement from Pietta or Numrich.  I admit my search as not been exhaustive but I thought I would ask for help first. Does anyone know where I can find a hand or have suggestions how to get this gun back up and running. Information stamped on the barrel reads: MODEL S.A. 1873 CAL . 45 COLT CAT. 1456 (bottom of barrel), Liberty 1873 KBI-HBG,PA (side of barrel) and the usual Pietta markings on the top and frame. SN E02169

Thanks in advance for any and all help !!

Graywolf

Maybe this will help.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Since making that video I learned that a complete loop at the bottom is not necessary.  A shorter length of wire anchored in the hole with epoxy works fine.

Dixie Gun Works has a multitude of hands with springs and just the springs.   Here is one for Colt SAA that may work.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6287/category_id/402/category_chain/616,393,394/product_name/TP1236+Spring+(fits+hand+MP1552)

Lots of folks replace them with bobby pins.

Google "hand spring from a bobby pin" and you'll see lots of responses

--Dawg

Thanks for all the information. I have an assortment of hand springs on the way thanks to Mike at Goons Gun Works. Going to try and keep the original hand since timing is pretty good. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:37 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Lots of folks replace them with bobby pins.

Google "hand spring from a bobby pin" and you'll see lots of responses

--Dawg

You can also use a paper clip, one of those bigger ones. 
Graywolf, I have a stock flat spring if you want if let me know I can mail you one.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the spring yesterday and gun is back working. Considering coil spring and plunger if/when it breaks again. 

Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate it !!!!

18 minutes ago, Graywolf Tate said:

I replaced the spring yesterday and gun is back working. Considering coil spring and plunger if/when it breaks again. 

Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate it !!!!

Hope you have a spare.

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hope you have a spare.

OLG 

Yep, a few LOL

I’m glad to hear you are up and running again!

As you can see, it is a pretty easy fix and it’s nice that you have several spares on hand now.  Personally, I have never had a hand spring break. I guess I have just been lucky!  However, I do keep a couple of extras on hand.

Cat Brules

Archived