SASS Wire Forum

Anybody use multi tools?

Raylan

If so, just curious what other people like and carry or use. The only one I owned was a gift from 40 or more odd years ago that I only used rarely over the years - the pliers were okay for light duty but the rest of the tools didn't lock and after having them fold up on me a few times I lost interest in using them much. Used my old Swiss Army knife more but even with that I mostly used the small and larger blades and occassionally the scissors. 

Mine is a Gerber multi-tool; I own two of them and keep one in my shooting box.  The other goes on my belt when I'm not in a suit and tie.  I highly recommend it over other multi-tools for two reasons:  1- It is small enough to be easy to carry, but expands to have full-sized pliers.  2-  The open portion of the handles is on the inside, not the outside, so when you have to grip hard it doesn't hurt your hands.  Other multi-tools unfold the opposite way so the open portion is on the outside, meaning you grip hard on edges of metal.

Here's the one I use, although they were half the price back when I bought them:  https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/multi-plier-600-stainless-carbide-cutters-bluntnose-sheath-tool-kit-07510g

I have both an original Leatherman and a Gerber multi tool, I use the Gerber more because of the above stated reasons, It also has an accessory set of 1/4 "hex screwdriver bits that make it more versatile. Before Gerber came out with theirs I used the leatherman daily.

Ditto on the Gerber. Plus a Swiss Army in my pocket or a demo knife.

The mini-size that Cabela's sells is handy just because it is small enough that you always have it with you.

Not for heavy duty jobs, though.

I've carried a Leatherman Wave for years.  It needs a tune up but is still the handiest one I have found.  I don't need to open up the whole tool to just get the blade out.  I'm a bit frustrated with stainless steel blades.  Darn things won't hold and edge and work harden when I try to sharpen it so bringing an edge back on it is the dickens.  I am now carrying an old Barlow knife the keeps a great edge and is easy to sharpen.  Someday I'm going to take my Leatherman apart and make a tool steel blade for it.  My idea of a perfect multi-tool.

3 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I've carried a Leatherman Wave for years.  It needs a tune up but is still the handiest one I have found.  I don't need to open up the whole tool to just get the blade out.  I'm a bit frustrated with stainless steel blades.  Darn things won't hold and edge and work harden when I try to sharpen it so bringing an edge back on it is the dickens.  I am now carrying an old Barlow knife the keeps a great edge and is easy to sharpen.  Someday I'm going to take my Leatherman apart and make a tool steel blade for it.  My idea of a perfect multi-tool.

Yeah. Stainless blades will never hold an edge like carbon.

I have literally owned a dozen and a half of various Multi-Tools. I have had Leatherman, Gerbe, Kershaw, SOG,  and some off brand units.

The very best, for me, has been my Victorinox multi-tool. The handles for the pliers are ergonomic and smooth. All blades lock and the body and blades are shiny and smooth which makes it easier to clean.

I have this model of the Victorinox Spirit. I carry it everyday.

1041595903_VictorinoxSpirit.thumb.jpg.d31b12512191976a0516c767a2ae76ec.jpg

My old Gerber looks a lot like the one you linked to Cyrus, but it doesn't have replaceable cutters and I think that one also has locking tools which mine doesn't but it looks very similar otherwise with the same tools. On mine the cutters got damaged and make the plier stick some, think it was from cutting some wire coat hangers. 

I looked at some of the smaller ones, but really size and weight aren't part of my personal equation for finding the right one, even the heavier ones are a picnic compared to carrying a full size 1911 with extra mags or just a Glock 19 with or without an extra mag. 

The New Wave looks nice may have to consider it. The Victorinox is beautiful which is saying something for a multi tool, but it doesn't have replaceable cutters and that is what killed my old Gerber, but it looks so darn sweet, arrgh!

I think I need, pliers with replaceable cutters, a good file, a good saw (always thought the Swiss Army Knife saws cut great), a utility knife, scissors, and some replaceable screwdriver bits would be sweet. Also need all the tools to lock. 

I loved my old Gerber's snap out pliers but did not like having to open it up everytime to get out every tool from the inside to use. Love the idea of the Leatherman OHT with snap out spring loaded pliers and outside opening tools, but it is missing a file, scissors, and replaceable screw driver bits. The Leatherman Surge has about everything except the pliers aren't spring loaded and fold out. But I do like the swap out holder for the saw and file as it can evidently also use third party replaceable saw blades from Bosh and Black and Decker. 

Allie, I vote yes it does count.

And that Victorinox looks so pretty.

Gerber.  On my belt constantly for many years, unless I'm someplace it's not allowed. 

Prefer it over the Leatherman for the reasons Cyrus stated above, plus the ease of accessing the pliers:  just a quick flip of the wrist and the pliers head slides right out and locks in position.  One-handed, no unfolding, and one-handed closing.  ;)

Victorinox Swiss Army knife, hung from my belt by a leather loop with a snap ring has been a constant companion for over fifty years! (Not the same one....have lost a few, and forgot I had it at the airport, and had to give that one up! :( )  I call these the "all purpose missile maintenance tool".  Of course about the only thing I used that one for was tightening the 100v coverplate screws...but it sounds impressive! :P  I probably use the scissors most, but occasionally the crosscut saw comes in handy to trim the dead branch off a bush in the yard.  The pliers is handy for light work.  The knife blades probably used the least.  Tweezers is handy for pulling out splinters.  I also occasionally use the magnifying glass when my reading eyeglasses aren't strong enough.  The scissors and the file come in handy for hangnail treatment.

Stay well, Pards!

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Mine is a Gerber multi-tool; I own two of them and keep one in my shooting box.  The other goes on my belt when I'm not in a suit and tie.  I highly recommend it over other multi-tools for two reasons:  1- It is small enough to be easy to carry, but expands to have full-sized pliers.  2-  The open portion of the handles is on the inside, not the outside, so when you have to grip hard it doesn't hurt your hands.  Other multi-tools unfold the opposite way so the open portion is on the outside, meaning you grip hard on edges of metal.

Here's the one I use, although they were half the price back when I bought them:  https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/multi-plier-600-stainless-carbide-cutters-bluntnose-sheath-tool-kit-07510g

X2 on the Gerber:excl:

They are 1 hand deployable. 

OLG 

15 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

The Multi Tool!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Whacking staples and cuttin wire since 1905.

Been carrying a Ferber for years. I have broken  3 of them and been replaced with new ones from Gerber. Wore out so many sheaths had leather one made and it’s been repaired once. I can leave my American Express at home but gerber will be on my belt.

56 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Been carrying a Gerber for years. I have broken  3 of them and been replaced with new ones from Gerber. Wore out so many sheaths had leather one made and it’s been repaired once. I can leave my American Express at home but Gerber will be on my belt.

Sheaths are pretty simple to construct.  When my son wore out the "ballistic cloth" sheath that came with his Gerber, we knocked this one out.  Made a simple wooden form, soaked the leather, clamped it into the form for a while - drilled the holes, stitched, added a snap and just for "rustic-ness" a brass bull-ring.  Sometimes it's on the front.    :)

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

I have a Leatherman in my car and one in my gun cart!

I have carried and used a leatherman wave on a daily basis for past 15-16 years.  I have returned two for warranty replacement for wearing parts out or something breaking. On my third but only paid for the first.
They don’t bother my hands a bit and I generally deploy them one handed like a switch blade. I had Gerber and felt the blade less sharp and the tool less robust than the leatherman. My son got the gerber and likely lost it. I can forget my phone. Forget a pocket knife and wallet. But I won’t leave without a Leatherman and a mag light on my hip. 

Oddly, I probably haven’t cc’d in 4-5 years and probably only cc’d 4-5 instances in my life. To go out unarmed....phhhttt, so what....but not have a multi tool or flashlight. Crisis! Why should I worry about being armed anyway? I’ve always got my looks, my mini- mag light and my Leatherman with me.....what else do I need?

Old friend taught me these 4 things ya always need to carry with you ( I generally abide to this):

Multitool

Flashlight

Handkerchief

Lighter

Just got one of THESE "Multitools" - the Australian belt grinder attachment is terrific... and on the industrial 8" Jet grinder it just howls! :)

Jet JBGM-8 8" Jet Shop Grinder with Multitool Attachment 577107                              Multitool Grinders

Gerber in the truck, Gerber in my bail out bag, Leatherman Wave in my shooting bag, along with a Weaver multi tool.  It has a small brass hammer face, several straight and phillips bits, allen and torx bits.  All folded into a 4" x 1" size.  

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just got one of THESE "Multitools" - the Australian belt grinder attachment is terrific... and on the industrial 8" Jet grinder it just howls! :)

Jet JBGM-8 8" Jet Shop Grinder with Multitool Attachment 577107                              Multitool Grinders

they also make a smaller one for a 4" disc grinder ...... sorta like an electric file ( with murderous tendencies ;) )

B)

Leatherman Wave on my belt and a Swiss Army in my pocket. Use them both most everyday.

A quick story:

About... 23 years ago or so, I was "The IT Guy" at work.  In my spare time, such as that was.

So I would always have a Gerber on my belt, and used the heck out of the thing.  Our facility usually had 50+ souls working on-site; of that number, maybe three of us were male.  That's actually how I ended up being The IT Guy ~ the previous IT Guy had left, and I was the only "Guy" there at that time, so it fell to me.  

Anyway, one afternoon I was walking down the hallway.  Some gal - maybe thirty-something - was coming from the other direction, reading something in her hand.  As we approached, she glanced up... then down... her eyes locked on that ballistic cloth sheath... and suddenly, she dropped her papers, her eyes flew open, her jaw dropped, then she gasped, pointed at my Gerber, and shrieked "OMYGAWD!!  Is that a KNIFE?!?!"

With my eyes locked on hers and trying to not show an expression of disgust, I slowly zipped the velcro open, slowly drew the tool from the sheath, then flicked it open.

"It's a pliers.  The same one I used to fix your computer this morning."

"OH!  What a RELIEF!  I was SO scared for a minute there!" she said, then gathered her papers and proceeded on her way.

Freakin' moronette.  <_<

Hey!  I just invented a word!  :)

Archived