SASS Wire Forum

VE Day

Okiepan

May 08 1945 75 years ago The Axis of Germany surrendered to the Allied Forces thus ending WW2 in Europe .

Never forget our brave men and women who defended our nation and gave us our FREEDOM.:FlagAm:

We should NEVER forget those who fought in the past for our freedom today. :FlagAm:

The Homecoming: Bittersweet Reunions Between WW2 Soldiers and ...

I wonder what other countries call it?

In the Disney remake of The Parent Trap, instead of a California parent and a Boston parent they had a California parent and a London England parent.

At one point in the movie during the "reconciliation", the California parent shows the English parent a bottle of special vintage wine. It was dated May 8th 1945. And she says, in wonderment, "VG Day".

Apparently, while we have "Victory in Europe", the Brits have "Victory over Germany". I wonder what the French call it?

For that matter, what do other countries call the war? Here it is World War II. In Russia it is The Great Patriotic War.

As I recall now, Germans call (or called) WWII the same as we do, maybe something like, ”Zweiter Weltkrieg” (sp?).  But we, and they, also referred to it as, “The Second War,” too.  I guess that would be, “Der Zweite Krieg,” in German.  

Cat Brules

Russia calls May 9, Victory Day*. Rarely is there ever a mention of other participants, not the allies, not Italy which never attack Russia anyway, not Japan.

The UK newspapers headlines called it VE Day. Never heard it called VG day.
Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria were Nazi allies so they coulda called it VGHB Day I guess.
Italy had already thrown in the towel in 43..:D

96DD6DF4-7031-4827-AD10-2196BA440500.jpeg

CFC78A17-82B0-4324-A69B-97658DC0E899.jpeg

My dad’s twin brother was a cryptographer in the Signal Corps in Germany.  He was on duty and decoded the message about Germany’s surrender that was sent to his commanding general.  Uncle Ray kept the original decoded message he had written down In longhand and gave a copy to the general.  His son, my cousin, still has that original message in a family album.  Kinda cool to look at it and imagine what the news meant to those men in harm’s way, and how Uncle Ray must have felt being the first one in his unit to know it.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about those brave men and women that sacrificed heavily to put an end to the Nazi and Japanese attempt at World domination. They were indeed The Greatest Generation.

:FlagAm:

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was wondering what happened to the rest of the combatants in Europe after VE day. An interesting read below.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/what-happened-europe-after-war-ww2-ve-day-germany/

An interesting read, thank you. However the author seems to ignore the history of that part of the world:

"
The Second World War opened up a Pandora’s box of ethnic conflict in Yugoslavia that was impossible to close once the war was over. According to Yugoslav intelligence reports in July 1945, “chauvinistic hatred” between different ethnic groups was universal. Serbs who returned to one village after the war are reported to have asked their fellow villagers: “Why don’t you kill all Croats? What are you waiting for?” Similar sentiments were expressed by Slovenes and Bosnian Muslims. Tragically, these hatreds would be revived almost 50 years later when the break-up of Yugoslavia in the 1990s sparked similar attempts at genocide."

That Pandora's Box hasn't been closed since the 1300s.

I watched the movie "DOWNFALL" this afternoon.

I don't know how historically accurate it was detailed, but it depicted the last few days of Hitler, etc.........

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I watched the movie "DOWNFALL" this afternoon.

I don't know how historically accurate it was detailed, but it depicted the last few days of Hitler, etc.........

..........Widder

I’m thinking Band of Brothers again.

:)

Archived