SASS Wire Forum

Moving Target Suggestions

Waimea

Our club just acquired lots of steel, our projects are to build moving or swinging targets.

We have lots of ideas, steel and 2 talented welders.

So here I am looking for ideas.

We've got some of our own but I like to hear others.

Hit me with what you got.

Photos would be appreciated.

Waimea

8 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

See this thread from March.

THANK YOU!

I must have been sleeping in March.

Bunch of good stuff there.

W

3 minutes ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

The swinger at Dark Day was pretty cool.

One of my favorites too.

We don't have a dedicated range so I'm not sure how that would work.

Sure as heck can't put it up and take it down everytime.

Find a reasonable balance weight and size.

The garage door track we used at Eldorado was heavy and cumbersome.

Made for a cool target; but pain to put up and store.

And its not just about the target - think about how best to release the target to move...

And the timing of the additional duty to the time/ distance the target moves.

(its kind of a shame when a person starts the target moving by engaging a shotgun target AND then the target has already moved a significant amount before the shooter transitions to the proper gun to engage the mover)

We have used self releases (the shooter pulls a lever their self to start the mover {can be awkward as shooters "forget" or move past the release without engaging it})

Having the release mounted to a secondary activity (ex. opening the saloon doors releases the mover - cool and nearly invisible to function; but the stage has to be designed with the extra function)

Or having a shotgun target engagement release the mover (but if not from the same position as the next gun - can lead to timing disruption as noted above)

Length of travel - stoppage conditions.

The time the target travels has to be such that "most" shooters get a fair opportunity to place their shots on it (not everyone can do 2-3 seconds 10 round dumps - a rifle target needs at least 6-8 seconds of travel time to give plenty of chance to engage while moving/ a pistol target may need even more).

But even then - the target placement/ positioning at the end of travel has to be such that a slower shooter or one that fumbles on the stage has opportunity to finish their shooting string on the target safely (in other words - while it can appear from a cave/ hidden space - there is nothing hiding the target at the END of its travel).

Consistency and reset

The target (especially depending on the size of your shoot) has to remain consistent in speed, reaction and use for every shooter.

Think wind, dirt/ rocks in the track, etc.

Consider how you would address/ handle a massive target failure (again especially within the umbrella of a multi day shoot)

Bear in mind target reset time and effort as you time out your stages to avoid back up and delay. 

An additional 45 seconds per shooter required to reset the mover adds 15 minutes on the stage of a 20 person posse.

Maybe give @Slow Mo Dern a holler. Those fellas have a running elk target setup at the Shenango River Rats club and think they had a few other things they were considering. I enjoy moving targets but they do slow down game play to reset. At least no one has to go down range to reset that elk which is a time saver IMO.

Consider putting complicated mechanical targets on a skid that can be moved onto a non-dedicated ranges quickly and simply. The range in Alaska I shot at many years ago with Marshall Stone is a local Gov. range so it has to be set up and taken down for each match. All their targets and mechanisms are on skids and can be pulled down range with a 4 wheeler in a short amount of time. The same could be done with movers etc. Our local range is a dedicated range and stuff gets to stay put.

Imis

Magdalena had a chute that rolled a clay rabbit diagonally in front a shooter.  It was easy to hit but frequently missed since CAS shooters are used to pointing their shotguns instead of swing them.

8 hours ago, Tucker T Fudpucker said:

Here are a couple from our Christmas Match at the Palmetto Posse.The first is shotgun and the second is rifle. Always a something a little different for this match. 

JxF9hgKZSzabTSSo%eFGmQ.MOV BI%ys4rrQIa5vFFIUDqwTg.MOV

That first one looks like a giant spider.

And the Texas Star is very cool.

The wheels and track are really smooth.

19 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Find a reasonable balance weight and size.

The garage door track we used at Eldorado was heavy and cumbersome.

Made for a cool target; but pain to put up and store.

An additional 45 seconds per shooter required to reset the mover adds 15 minutes on the stage of a 20 person posse.

Thanks Creeker,

We are a small club and older. So put up and tear down is a big consideration.

If the framework can be permanent great but not in most cases.

I am looking at what I can put on wheels so that we can just roll it out and roll it back to storage.

I appreciate all the time and thought you put into your answers.

Waimea

Archived