SASS Wire Forum

Bourbon Guidance requested

I think Cowboys and Indians magazine (good magazine to keep from the wife and her Visa card) ran an article recently on a ton of western items, most of them First Class.

On item that struck me was a bourbon from Texas called, "Sweetheart of the Rodeo." It has won awards and got some great reviews. Sadly, they do not ship, according to their distiller's license.

Can a liquor store in Texas ship to me? Tried an online search of liquor laws, but that didn't do much good. Two of our 3 sons are bourbon drinkers, so I thought it would be a nice surprise since bars are still closed.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

LDD

Howdy law dog.

I do not live in Illinois, but I believe it is illegal to ship alcohol to your state. Your state is the problem, not the shipping point.

Took a look since I was curious...

No, only wine can be sent to Illinois from out of state. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.

Friends in Wisconsin? No joy, they can bring in limited quantities when returning from an international destination. Texas does not count.

What about Iowa to your west side? Still no how. While they can get it, they can only do so for personal consumption. Which I assume precludes gifting it to you.

But if you take a road trip to Texas... That is probably legal.

The laws are an inconsistent patchwork. For instance I can distill all I want at home, but I can only use it as a motor fuel. Drinking it is a crime.

I have had wine delivered. And even some crazy "beer of the month". That was a good 20 years ago.

Never tried hard likker.

May just have to wait to get to Landrun a day or so early and head south.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Do you often go looking for headaches?

Best

CR

No sir.

They find me with alarming frequency.

It’s pretty much illegal to ship distilled spirits directly to a consumer.   It is very hard even to ship to another licensed entity.   Fedex is the only shipper who will do it and it took months to get approval.    With that said, there are a few places that will do it.   Probably illegal, but no one has gone after them yet.  Wife gets a whiskey of the month and it’s shipped from out of county.   Again, probably illegal, but no one is stopping them yet. 

It is legal to ship liquids like olive oil.  

Ask your local liquor store to obtain a case of it from his distributor, or direct, if the law and the distributor will allow and cooperate.

If you really want to purchase products from a small distiller I suggest you have a pard near the distiller buy it now and hold it till Land Run. If it is any good at all it is very probable that it is only on store shelves for a short time. The odds of it being in a store that you are going to visit at an unknown future date are not very good.

15 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I think Cowboys and Indians magazine (good magazine to keep from the wife and her Visa card) ran an article recently on a ton of western items, most of them First Class.

On item that struck me was a bourbon from Texas called, "Sweetheart of the Rodeo." It has won awards and got some great reviews. Sadly, they do not ship, according to their distiller's license.

Can a liquor store in Texas ship to me? Tried an online search of liquor laws, but that didn't do much good. Two of our 3 sons are bourbon drinkers, so I thought it would be a nice surprise since bars are still closed.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

LDD

The Cowboys and Indians mag usually does not portray the real thing. However, my picture is in one issue.

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just get some Bulleit or Buffalo Trace ;)

Trust me on this....

OLG 

Agreed. But the boys have already sampled those two, and liked them very much.

Just wanted something a bit different.

Thanks.

21 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just get some Bulleit or Buffalo Trace ;)

Trust me on this....

OLG 

These are my "go-to" choices

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS - For a change of pace, Makers Mark

I’ll stick with Henry McKenna if it was good enough for Skeeter Skelton it’s good enough for me 

Archived