SASS Wire Forum

Primers???

Fill Yer Hand

I'd bet Federal is the most popular,  followed by Winchester.

I've got several thousa large pistol and small pistol Federal primers. 

Also have a couple thousand Sellier & Bellot large pistol primers and some CCI small pistol leftover from the scare in 2011/2012.

I use the Federal for matches.

In any pistol cartridge, you use PISTOL primers (never rifle primers).  It's the cartridge that determines the primer, not the type of firearm!   A .44-40 lever rifle still takes a large pistol primer, because it is designed and loaded like a revolver cartridge running revolver pressures..

Cowboy shooting with it's light loads, light springs and light hammer strikes  - most folks use a Federal primer matching size of the case (large or small).   A few step up to a Federal Match or a Federal Magnum of the same size, but that is rarely needed.  

Other primers are harder or thicker metal in the primer, and take a stronger hammer strike.   If I could not get Federal primers, my backup is Winchester.   I don't even consider other makes.

Good luck, GJ

9 minutes ago, mku140 said:

So 45 colt would be large pistol? No magnum correct.

Start off using standard large pistol primers.  If you encounter weak loads that are resulting from not having enough primer "brisance" (amount of flame), there will be large pistol magnum primers that you can then try.

Magnum primers were designed for large cases with hard to ignite powders trying to make maximum velocities, generating maximum chamber pressures.   We don't do much of that in Cowboy shooting.  B)  Besides, they are higher priced.

It's not that you CAN'T safely use magnum primers - it's that there is no need to (usually).

Good luck, GJ

I run federal magnum primers. Why magnum primers? Because that's all the store had that was going out of business and I bought the last 20,000 primers they had. That and with reduced loads it helps with ignition consistency. 

Assuming you are asking for which brand. That would be Federal in my cowboy match ammo, both large and small pistol.

Federal Small Magnum Pistol Primers

.38Special for revolver and rifle

CB

Federal is my choice.  Small Magnum Pistol Primers for 777 loads in .38spl.  The better burn keeps the fouling down.  Small Pistol for Trailboss loads in .38spl.  Large Pistol Primers for .44-40 with 700x and .45 ACP with WST.  Winchesters are my second choice.

S&B's for practice & 9 MM. Federal Lg & Sm for serious shooting.

I use almost all S&B anymore however thanks to Mr. Canby’s advice above, my son who lives in Show Low and was on the phone with me at the time is picking me up 5,000 of them.

Federal.  Winchester's in an emergency (big emergency). 

I prefer Federal then Winchester for all of my guns.   SCJ

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

None of our guns know the difference 

No, but a gun that won't fire because it can't light the primer off is one of the worst feelings FOR THE SHOOTER that occurs in cowboy shooting.

It is true, though. that most guns have no self awareness. :wacko:

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Whatever I find on sale.

None of our guns know the difference :lol:

OLG 

Lumpy,

when my guns fail to fire, I just pull the trigger harder..... :D

..........Widder

17 hours ago, mku140 said:

What primers are being used for pistol/rifle setups? Thanks

You want the wise a$$ answer?  New because used don't work at all :lol:.  

Seriously I use Federal Magnums but I'm shooting smokey (powder not the bear) so I like the extra oomph of the magnums.

I use the same ones as OLG. :D Last night, it was 462 Winchester LP in .38-40. Today, who knows? I've got a LOT of CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, and Magtech to choose from.

If it's a lightly sprung gun, Federals.

Long range rifle side match ammo, CCI200

I've got one coach gun that is often tough to open when using a domed primer, so it gets the flat Fiocci 616's.

C&B revolvers get Remington #10's

For most of my CAS and side match guns, it really doesn't matter.

A couple others that get specific primers -

A 10mm Glock that gets CCI300's

An L1A1 that gets CCI200's

And so on. It just depends on the gun.

Primers.jpg

Normally I use Federal Small Pistol and Large Pistol Primers.  In times when supplies were short, I'd pick up Magnum Primers or Match Grade Primers, depending on what was in stock.  Large Rifle for the .45-70.  I have a few thousand Winchester Primers that I reserve for my "box stock" guns,  J-Frame, or Cobra.

We are in the Federal camp as well. I do load Federal Match Primers though. From my understanding, the match primers are made by employees who have a higher amount of experience making primers. I had a string of bad primers a couple of years back. Switched to the match primers and everyone of them has gone bang. That's what I want to hear when I pull the trigger, not click! 

Federals and Remingtons (when I can find them) Winchesters work okay in my Colts but not so good in my '73 Uberti.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I use the same ones as OLG. :D Last night, it was 462 Winchester LP in .38-40. Today, who knows? I've got a LOT of CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, and Magtech to choose from.

If it's a lightly sprung gun, Federals.

Long range rifle side match ammo, CCI200

I've got one coach gun that is often tough to open when using a domed primer, so it gets the flat Fiocci 616's.

C&B revolvers get Remington #10's

For most of my CAS and side match guns, it really doesn't matter.

A couple others that get specific primers -

A 10mm Glock that gets CCI300's

An L1A1 that gets CCI200's

And so on. It just depends on the gun.

Primers.jpg

Nice BOMB you built! that is one insane way to store primers .:o

Thank you!

Insane or not, it adheres to the legal requirements and the storage facilities have been duly inspected. As long as I keep it under 750,000, observe distance requirements, and don't use it as a residence, I'm good as is. Larger establishments are required to have automatic sprinkler systems. ;)

PrimerStorageRegs.png

I found some guy who did a PSI test with various shotshell primers.

Federal 209A = 10,860
CCI 209M = 10,460
Winchester W209 = 10,200
Remington  209 STS = 9,740
Fiocchi FIO = 9,690
CCI 209 = 9,650
Cheddite 209 = 9,270
Federal 209 = 9,070
Remington 209P =  8,810

I was wondering why the load data was different for the same hull and powder, but a different primer.
Apparently some of these shotshell primers produce more pressure than others... Remington 209P at the bottom of the scale.

I have only been shooting cowboy for about two years but I have been reloading for well over 50. I don't think i have ever used anything but CCI. Don't know why but they have never failed me so I just stick with them. Since the lock down I have loaded about 12,000 rounds of Cowboy and still at it. May have enough to last me but I finally got my 35 year old son started so i will keep loading. 

I use what I can find on sale. 

I agree with Doc Shapiro, if your hammer spring is so light that it won't ignite any good primer you use, the lock time is slow enough to cost you time.

Duffield

What primers are being used for pistol/rifle setups?

If this topic hasn't been discussed 50 times, it hasn't been discussed once

Obviously, the OP needs to buy a reference manual or two

Or to learn how to browse online the vendor's databases with his computer

Archived