SASS Wire Forum

Pump shotguns

Mister Badly

I started shooting cowboy action last year. I bought a Stoeger coach gun and have been pleased with its performance. I have been thinking about getting a 97 pump with the idea of it being a backup and after learning how to run it quickly using it as my main shotgun. However, you cannot buy a new 97. Every other SASS approved firearm is available new or as a new replica. Has SASS considered opening up the pump shotgun options to new shooters who can't afford "3" 97 shotguns?  

Aren’t the Chinese clones new? I think there are some coyote cap guns out there from a couple of years ago. Also, don’t buy into the need 3 myth. One should serve you well if it’s setup properly. 

32 minutes ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Widder had all the 97's in your area.

He probably has most of them. I heard he wears them out like Forest Gump wears out running shoes.:)

34 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Aren’t the Chinese clones new? I think there are some coyote cap guns out there from a couple of years ago. Also, don’t buy into the need 3 myth. One should serve you well if it’s setup properly. 

True, one would be fine if was a good one. My Stoeger would be a backup. The pricing popped up when the clones quit coming. Just chaps my butt a bit that it's become a captive sellers market. Good for the sellers though. ;)

9 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

True, one would be fine if was a good one. My Stoeger would be a backup. The pricing popped up when the clones quit coming. Just chaps my butt a bit that it's become a captive sellers market. Good for the sellers though. ;)

How expensive us expensive? Some folks spend $1000-$1500 on a good quality shotgun. You can still get excellent deals on original 97’s that will serve you well. I bought one recently for around $450 I think with work all done. I don’t use it as often as the hammered double because I shoot bp the majority of the time and hammer doubles rule. But my 97 has not had one issue to date. 

59 minutes ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

Probably has a SeaTrain shipping container full of Toilet Paper, too!

:angry:  :o

Cat Brules

18 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Probably has a SeaTrain shipping container full of Toilet Paper, too!

:angry:  :o

Cat Brules

Good to know. He lives not too far from me.

1 hour ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

He probably has most of them. I heard he wears them out like Forest Gump wears out running shoes.:)

Purly's just jealous cause he can't run a 97..... :lol:

Heck, I ain't even sure he can count to 97..... :lol::lol:

Mr Badly:  Whatever brand you might buy, Winchester or IAC,  ya should seriously consider letting Curly Bill Kelly check it out and

setting it up for you.  

If you'll call me (865 / 696-1996),  I'll give you some good info on certain series of the IAC models.   You want to make sure

you get a good series.   Pricing will vary also.

A good source, of which is often on the Wire, is Outlaw Gambler.   You might want to give him a holler about his inventory.

Talk with you soon.

..........Widder

You've already got a Stoeger SxS, so no need for a backup... or two. I typically only shoot my '97's in Wild Bunch, and only had to fix one once, I think, but they don't have the use that a main match shotgun would get.  I've paid between $210 and $350 for the several I've got, with the last one in September being the $350 one.

4 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

I started shooting cowboy action last year. I bought a Stoeger coach gun and have been pleased with its performance. I have been thinking about getting a 97 pump with the idea of it being a backup and after learning how to run it quickly using it as my main shotgun. However, you cannot buy a new 97. Every other SASS approved firearm is available new or as a new replica. Has SASS considered opening up the pump shotgun options to new shooters who can't afford "3" 97 shotguns?  

I have13 16 gauge 1897’s. The main match 97 that I’ve used for 5 years or so at ever match that I’ve shot was built in 1941 and I’ve never had a bit of trouble with it. TL at C&I slicked it up years ago when I first got it and it’s sat in the safe until my main match 97 broke the hook screw and I got tired of explaining to people what that extra 5/16” hole was doing in the side of the receiver, hint it had something to do with getting the end of the broken screw out. If you get a 97 replace the hook screw with one from The Smith Shop, you’ll be glad you did.

Now you’re probably wondering why I need 13 1897’s. I don’t need them, I just have a weakness for them and if I see one I’ll make an offer. I bought one for $125.00 not long ago that was going to be a parts gun but after cleaning it up it turned into a pretty nice gun.

Ya don't need 3  97s to keep on Shooting ,,, Ya need One and a Spare with 3 Back-ups ....^_^

Or one Hammered Double to back-up your 97 ....

Jabez Cowboy

Mr Big & Badly.......

If you want a Winchester brand '97, there is a Hot Shot shooter out in Oklahoma that owns most of those

west of the Mississippi..... ;)

He don't get on the Wire much cause he's too busy practicing and trying to get faster..... :lol:

..........Widder

There’s fifteen 12s and 16s gauge guns on gunbroker right now. And a norinco trench. I have 2 1897s, a mismatched 97 that I found in a local pawn shop and a norinco trench that I bought on GB. I replaced the wood and a couple ejectors on the 97 and a shell stop screw on the import. And upgraded the mags to hold 6. I prefer my Marlin 24 and use it regularly at my club’s monthly shoots. 

Original 97's can still be found for a reasonable price if you look hard enough.   Chinese made clones are also available that are of decent quality, also for a reasonable price.

My first main match shotgun was a 20" Winchester with WPB stamped on the stock.  I jokingly say it means "Winchester Police Department."

Used it for a couple of years with no problems.   All the while I wanted to have one with a long barrel, just to have one with a long barrel.  I eventually found one with a 30" barrel.   I tried it once, just for fun, and for various reasons, it became my primary main match shotgun.   The longer barrel is just cool, and it works better for me.   This is very much a minority opinion, that longer barrels are better, in SASS circles, but I do recommend that people at least try it.  It was also much more well used than my 20" gun.  I had to replace a piece because the barrel would not fit snug on the frame anymore, but other than that, everything else is still all original. 

Beyond that I have a reproduction Trench gun, a 93/97, and an honest to goodness real 93 in excellent condition.

The Trench gun and 93/97 are not SASS legal, but are allowed for Wild Bunch.

The 93 is not allowed.   Basically, there is a rule that says the 97 is the only pump shotgun that is legal for use in SASS.   If it's "not a 97" you can't use it.

That means that the Burgess, Spencer, 93, Marlin 98 family and the modern made 93/97 are all not allowed.  

With regard to the Marlin, there are very real safety concerns.  Some will say they can be overcome, but I don't know.  

The Winchester 93 is not safe to use with modern length smokeless powder loaded shells.  Same as original 87's.  But, since it's not a 97, even if you have shorter shells loaded with black, you can't use it.

The Burgess and Spencer, I have never heard of any safety concerns with either gun, but they are "not a 97," so you can't use them.  The would require black powder and shorter shells, of course. 

The 93/97 is for all intents and purposes a 97 made to look like a 93, but it is also not allowed.  In truth, I don't understand why it's not, but let's not go there.

So, if you wanna shoot a pump shotgun, you've gotta use a 97.  That's the rule.     

The Spencer was tested by P O Ackley and it was the only gun that he couldn't get to fail .... He even adapted several modern Nickle steel barrels to the action in the attempt .... He said it was " far stronger than either the Winchester M-97 or M-12 .... "

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived