SASS Wire Forum

What would be a fair price for a stock IAC 1887?

The Verdigris Kid

Being new to these forums and SASS in general, if this is in the wrong place moderators feel free to relocate to the proper place.

An individual has a stock IAC 1887 that he bought several years ago and only fired a few rounds through. He originally got it just for the "cool" factor as he is not into CAS. He subsequently put it in the safe and forgot about it. He learned I am getting into the game and mentioned he might be talked out of it for a "fair" price.

My question then is what would be a general price that would be fair to both of us? He and I both know that you can't get them new anymore so prices have went up, and I don't mind paying a little more for it, but I don't want to pay $700-$800 for a $300 shotgun when it was new.

I've recently seen them go between $450-600 depending on condition. I'd probably offer $500 if it's not beat up.

Question is that your actual S.A.S.S. number? Regardless welcome to the best game there is.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've recently seen them go between $450-600 depending on condition. I'd probably offer $500 if it's not beat up.

Question is that your actual S.A.S.S. number? Regardless welcome to the best game there is.

Ok, that is kind of in line with my thinking. I will have to make the offer and see if he will come down some.

Yes, that is my actual SASS number. Got the notice email yesterday that my membership went through.

Just now, The Verdigris Kid said:

Ok, that is kind of in line with my thinking. I will have to make the offer and see if he will come down some.

Yes, that is my actual SASS number. Got the notice email yesterday that my membership went through.

Cool. Just wondering if the forum software was adding numbers again.

Good luck with the purchase ;)

Have you tried either? It takes a lot of practice to run an 87' efficiently.

Also, the new Stoeger's are hit or miss quality wise.

Best answer is to wait for a match and try some stuff. Might find a deal on a used shotgun. Personally I'd save up a little more and find a new Charles Daly 512 or save even more and find an SKB.

When I shoot a 12 ga sxs I found a $99 Boito KMart that slicked up well, cutting the barrels, lightening springs, refinishing wood, etc. Might be worthwhile to find an older used orphan that needs a home. Practicing your smithing skills on that will give you a lot of confidence at little to no risk. 

2 minutes ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

When I shoot a 12 ga sxs I found a $99 Boito KMart that slicked up well, cutting the barrels, lightening springs, refinishing wood, etc. Might be worthwhile to find an older used orphan that needs a home. Practicing your smithing skills on that will give you a lot of confidence at little to no risk. 

I do have a "New Ithica Double" 12 ga that was a wallhanger I bought at a farm auction. It has pieces of the stock missing right behind the receiver, front trigger spring broken (I think)  which I could repair, and a visible dent in the left barrel that I'm not too sure about.

23 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The value depends on the 2 number prefix in the serial number. 

Anything under 06, stay away from.

Don't buy anydangthing thing till you do a hands on live fire :excl:

OLG 

LOL, I wouldn't buy any USED gun without test driving it beforehand. Supposed to go check it out this weekend. Hence why I was wondering what a fair price would be.

39 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

LOL, I wouldn't buy any USED gun without test driving it beforehand. Supposed to go check it out this weekend. Hence why I was wondering what a fair price would be.

Can't answer on value without seeing pictures.

What's the seller asking for it?

Take a box of factory trap loads with you.

Drive it like a stolen car when doing the live fire.

The magazine tube should hold 5 rnds.

OLG 

You’re better off buying (in my opinion) a new Win ‘87 reproduction and learning to shoot it “stock,” by shooting 150-200 rounds through it.  

Get 4 “dummy” rounds of 12gauge and (seemingly, endlessly)  practice stuffing 2-at-a-time through the top.  Stuff those “dummies” into the shotgun, pulling the trigger on them and ejecting them.  Practice ejecting spent shells, too, with empties you collect here and there (pay attention to how well it ejects sort hulls!!).   Do all this before you send it off to be “gone through”. by stuffing 2-at-a-time through the top.  DON’T ”PLAY” WITH LIVE AMMUNITION, EVER!

The shotgun will loosen up a bit (you will, too) after you fire a couple hundred live rounds through it.  Think about the gun when you do actual live-fire, and make notes regarding its functionality.  This, so you can speak intelligently about what you like and don’t like about it before/if you decide to “have it worked on”.. That’s about all I can tell you, except that I like the ‘87, and I shoot it and my various original Win ‘97’s.

You will have to decide, double barrel, pump, or lever action.

Cat Brules

10 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

You’re better off buying (in my opinion) a new Win ‘87 reproduction and learning to shoot it “stock,” by shooting 150-200 rounds through it.  

Cat, the IAC 97 is a reproduction of the Win 87.

+1 on Lumpy's statement that the 06 series is the best. 

A stock IAC 87 is better than a Stoeger, but whether you can run one better is more personal choice or innate abilities. I have issues running doubles, but 97's and 87's seem to run better for me. This might be overcome with more practice or it could be a double just isn't in my wheelhouse. YMMV

As suggested if you havent ran an 87 or a double much hold off on buying either until you can get out and try a few different ones. I have an 87 (rather had , the mrs laid claims to it) it was a lot of fun. However it is a huge learning curve if you're used to pumps or doubles. Didnt seem to matter how much I practiced or tried to get better at it I peaked at mediocre at best. I can run my hammered double quicker so that's what i'm back to shooting. JMO but for the going rate of the IAC 87 I wouldnt buy one unless it's something you're sure you want to use or already have a main match shotgun and want to try something else just for fun.  The charles daly 512t seems to a great option for a hammerless double at a mid range price. Maybe talk to Deuce Stevens or Lassiter about them before making a shotgun purchase. 

Archived