SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Question on guns

I have a question on current rules in Wild Bunch.  I remember back when Wild Bunch was getting started that in addition to 1911's, the Colt 1917 double action revolver was an approved as well.  It has been awhile since I have shot Wild Bunch match and was curious if the the rules had changed with regards to the 1917?

Thanks

Kettleman

Current rule book reads: "A full-size single stack steel frame 1911 style semi-auto pistol in .45 ACP caliber is required."  No mention of a revolver.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASS WILD BUNCH Action Shooting Handbook Vers 14_4 031420.pdf 

Time to review the rules. 

It has been awhile

is vague as to how much has changed since you shot last.  Read through the handbook.  Then you may have more questions.

But, no more Colt 1917 revolvers in sanctioned Wild Bunch.  Local clubs may have special allowances, so ask where you intend to shoot.

Good luck, GJ

so if a club allowed the M1917 in 45 acp ,i suppose there would be no issue with an M1909 in 45 colt ? only asking because the discussion is here 

19 minutes ago, watab kid said:

so if a club allowed the M1917 in 45 acp ,i suppose there would be no issue with an M1909 in 45 colt ? only asking because the discussion is here 

Depends on the club.  I have used a 9mm Luger (lead bullet of course).  A 45acp Thompson semi smg. 

Thanks for the replies, and no Abilene I did not get a new gun, although that would be fun!  :D

I asked the question primarily to understand when the rule changed.  I have been shooting Cowboy pretty solid for the last 20 years and just got a new holster rig for wild bunch since GMR was going to host the Wild Bunch State match, then Covid happened.   I started looking at the rules and noticed the changes.  Since the 1917 was primarily chambered in 45acp and could utilize half and full moon clips for odd round counts, I was exploring possibilities.  

Since Wild Bunch had not been high on my radar, focus has been on getting better at Gunfighter, I did not remember any debate or discussion on the rule changes.  The 1917 was featured in the movie so I got to thinking (it hurt some).  Anyone who know me, know that I am a huge 1911 fan, working on getting to an even dozen in my collection.

Thanks again!

Gunfighters Rule!

The official SASS rules, insofar as guns, have not changed much. All that has ever been allowed under the official rules are full size 1911's shooting 45acp with a 150 minimum power factor.

As has been stated, before there were any official rules there were a scattering of clubs that shot under their own rules, or rules that had been borrowed from other clubs. At Lone Star and CVV Silver Sam and I had sat down and drafted what rules we shot under in those two clubs. There were other clubs that adapted our rules in the area. We allowed any shotgun, any lever action pistol caliber rifle and any handgun. These all had to be pre 1917 designs, or adaptions of them. So a 1917 would have been allowed, as it was based on a a design in the time period mentioned. IIRC we had two categories, Pike and Dutch. One was for semi-auto pistols and the other for double action revolvers.

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

The official SASS rules, insofar as guns, have not changed much. All that has ever been allowed under the official rules are full size 1911's shooting 45acp with a 150 minimum power factor.

As has been stated, before there were any official rules there were a scattering of clubs that shot under their own rules, or rules that had been borrowed from other clubs. At Lone Star and CVV Silver Sam and I had sat down and drafted what rules we shot under in those two clubs. There were other clubs that adapted our rules in the area. We allowed any shotgun, any lever action pistol caliber rifle and any handgun. These all had to be pre 1917 designs, or adaptions of them. So a 1917 would have been allowed, as it was based on a a design in the time period mentioned. IIRC we had two categories, Pike and Dutch. One was for semi-auto pistols and the other for double action revolvers.

Goody, thanks for the response, what you describe is what I remembered from many years ago.  

9 hours ago, Kettleman, SASS #27254 said:

Thanks for the replies, and no Abilene I did not get a new gun, although that would be fun!  :D

I asked the question primarily to understand when the rule changed.  I have been shooting Cowboy pretty solid for the last 20 years and just got a new holster rig for wild bunch since GMR was going to host the Wild Bunch State match, then Covid happened.   I started looking at the rules and noticed the changes.  Since the 1917 was primarily chambered in 45acp and could utilize half and full moon clips for odd round counts, I was exploring possibilities.  

Since Wild Bunch had not been high on my radar, focus has been on getting better at Gunfighter, I did not remember any debate or discussion on the rule changes.  The 1917 was featured in the movie so I got to thinking (it hurt some).  Anyone who know me, know that I am a huge 1911 fan, working on getting to an even dozen in my collection.

Thanks again!

Gunfighters Rule!

My dream: wild bunch gunfighter! 

In Germany we have a new discipline in Wild Bunch since 2019. 
Name is "1917" and only the DA Mod. 1917 from Colt & S&W in Cal. .45 ACP. 
Rules the same like WB. Revolver shooting only with clips and only in DA. Very nice.

Archived