SASS Wire Forum

ISO shotgun for almost 8/9 year old

jeeper90

Having run 4 large-for-their-age nine year old boys through hunter education, a "heavy" weapon is not the way to go.  Also, H&R Topper .410 "Youth model" kicked harder than a 20ga Topper, go figure.  (With Hardpan and me also testing kick!)  I found that Rossi single shot shotgun is near perfect for a beginner to "have their own" weapon.  Key is the very easy to manipulate hammer and action. Overall size is right, too.  Comes in .410, and frequently with a .22 barrel as a set. 

Many guns can be frustrating to a young shooter because of not having the strength to get it into action.  Small weapons can still be inappropriate if hammer, top lever, striker, etc. are too difficult to operate without assistance. Getting smacked by your weapon (ala Topper), is not good, either.  A 15 year old will "grow into a shotgun".  An 8 or 9 year old will get gun shy, or hate the frustration, if you are not careful.

Rossi! 

I started my Buckarette on a single shot 12 gauge. With a short stock and short barrel it was really light and easy to handle as she lacked the strength to operate a double. I made her some super light loads using 1/2oz shot and wads that to me kick less than factory 410 shells. She has recently graduated to a 97 which has speeded her up over the single shot, but still struggles with the weight of a double barrel. YMMV just sharing my journey.

Thanks to everyone for your commits, I reload 12ga and could make real light 12ga. I guess I need to look for a single or double 12 ga. I guess 20ga or 410 would work also.

If any one has one cheap let me know. I think cheap so I can cut the stock then add it back a little at a time.

Thanks

Smokewagon Grampies 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I have a double barrel 410 as well as a single shot 410 that is new in the box, never untaped when i brought it home from Walmart.   The single shot is 120 shipped.  

It says you cant receive messages. Where are you located?

Not for sale but just a thought....

I picked up a 12 ga H&R single shot for  our 7 year old. Cut barrel down with a hacksaw, installed a new bead, cut butt stock down and ground to fit a limb saver pad. Lightened the main spring and we were in business. I had about $100 in it. Shotgun was $75 cash out the door on the rack at a pawn shop, but looked new. Recoil pad was $20-25. Bead was a few bucks I guess. This was 7-8 years ago

WW low recoil loads or black powder 7/8 loads worked good. Ejectors work good and allowed for buckaroos. Makes for a light handy shotgun 

We borrowed and tried a single 410 and kid did not like the way it handled or the recoil. My loads, WW factory loads and BP more manageable 

your mileage may vary

Archived