SASS Wire Forum

Wst in 45 schofield load data needed

So I'm thinking about trying wst in my 45 schofied loads, I got 3 lbs that I'm using for wild bunch. But I can't find any data, I usually don't shoot smokeless but this weekend since Sunday is mother's day I think I want to be lazy and not clean my guns so I'm going to load 70+ rounds of schofield, I was using clays when I shot smokeless but only having 1 powder to load would be great.

Anyone have load data, don't want to kill the targets and this will be my 1st shoot since hand surgery.

Thanks

Rafe

talk to Dessert Lobo. He shoots a lot of Schofield. 

From what I shoot in Cowboy 45 Special (4.2 grains of WST and 175 grain slug), and what I know works in .45 Colt cases too, here's my recommendation for a starter load with Schofield cases:

170-175 grain bullet

4.4 grains WST

your primer of choice

If that is not consistent, then add more powder.   It will get warmer quickly as you do that.  I would not exceed about 5.5 grains as a maximum load.

With a 200 grain slug, cut back about 10% from these starting weights and work carefully, watching for inconsistent loads or on the other end, high pressure signs.

Yes, although Hodgdon knows this is a pretty good powder for target loads in pistols, they only publish a good amount of pistol data for .45 auto catridge.

Good luck, GJ

Archived