SASS Wire Forum

Command Car For Auction

Subdeacon Joe

Patton's Own.

The vehicle was first acquired in approximately 1950 by Guy Franz Arend, a Belgian collector who “was a key person in the creation of the Bastogne Museum,” according to the vehicle’s “Known History” document provided by Worldwide Auctioneers.

In 2018, the Command Car was acquired by the J. Kruse Education Center, a “nonprofit focused on career path exploration and connection for K-12 students and returning veterans,” the company site states.

Patton’s Command Car will be sold — at no reserve — to the highest bidder, with all proceeds going to the education center, the auction site said.

Check out additional images of the vehicle below.

(Worldwide Auctioneers)

I’ll take it!

CB

It’s all good till the price of gas goes up. ;)

8 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Gee ... I guess they can look in the "log book" which is "always" in the vehicle and see who was using it!! -_-

I thought Patton had a fatal accident in "his" command car?!??

Naw... that was his limo - a 1938 Cadillac 75.

12 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I thought Patton had a fatal accident in "his" command car?!??

The accident, in a staff car, was Dec 8 and caused injury ultimately leading to his death Dec 21, 1945. He was no longer in command of the third army so it is unlikely that he would have had access to the command car.

Too bad they didn't have seat belts back then.  He wouldn't have been injured at all!  What finally killed him (conspiracy theorists notwithstanding) was a pulmonary embolism.  He had suffered these before, and lying immobile certainly contributed to it.  Ironically, sometime later, his wife was killed when she hit a tree branch while horseback riding! IIRC, two of his sons achieved flag rank, one in the Army and one in the Air Force.

Stay well, Pards!

Archived