image.jpeg.576e2068717787b52d343e8087d62066.jpeg

1st US Cavary

image.jpeg.65ab74227d4d247755fb3fa534a34d13.jpeg

1st Cavalry Division

image.gif.fdb11214a4e8f660570d5913bb1e91d0.gif

1st Cavalry Division

image.jpeg.5ab67ea2d5d0a7eb21d0c40013f42a9d.jpeg

Cat Brules

The first pic is a post Civil War. You can tell by the scabbard and hat. As for the two captioned “1st Cavalry Division”, The 1st Cav Div wasn’t created until 1923 at Ft Hood. The Division maintains a mounted platoon for ceremonies and demonstrations.

https://1cda.org/history/history-1cd-horse-det/

Contrary to what some think, when I was in the Cav, we didn’t have any horses.:P

2AAC40D4-B75D-409C-BC08-7EF640448FD7.jpeg

I was in the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment back in 2001-2; cavalry was never my MOS, but the regiment is HUGE so it has a lot of other folks in it.  In those days, they operated in "hunter-killer" teams, with two M3 Bradleys (different than the standard M2) hunting bad guys for one M1A2 to kill.  During the War on Terror, they were changed into being equipped with Strykers.  What a *(^$%##@ disaster.  They are designed to be the CORPS cavalry -- e.g. in front of all the divisions and their cavalry squadrons.  Hence, the regimental size -- they are spread out across the entire corps front, all by themselves, likely with no air cover and no artillery other than what they bring with them.  I get that the War on Terror was not on a traditional linear battlefield (except during the initial push into Iraq when we were fighting the Republican Guard), but it's high time to transform them back into an ARMORED cavalry regiment.  

Of course they are weird, running around with stetsons and spurs (which have to be earned), and saying "a-ee-yah" instead of "hooah."  Man, what a bunch of prima donnas.  I have stories about some squadron commanders and their Custer-like tendencies.  

And yes, I still have my stetson in a box.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The first pic is a post Civil War. You can tell by the scabbard and hat. As for the two captioned “1st Cavalry Division”, The 1st Cav Div wasn’t created until 1923 at Ft Hood. The Division maintains a mounted platoon for ceremonies and demonstrations.

https://1cda.org/history/history-1cd-horse-det/

Contrary to what some think, when I was in the Cav, we didn’t have any horses.:P

M

The captions for the Internet cavalry images I posted (above) were associated with each image as noted.

ALSO:

”Contrary to what some think, when I was in the Cav, we didn’t have any horses.:P

Oh, so that’s it.  I wuz wondering ‘bout that.   I thought your horses had been eaten by the locals.  :o:(  Whew!

Garryowen!

Joining the Cav was one of the best choices I could have made as a young man.  Our horses were Bradley's though!

1993.jpg

Meself prefers the livelier quickstep version.

If I could have marched down some sunlit street with my brothers in arms behind a band playing Garryowen I could have died happy. Alas, it never happened. Parades were not much in vogue during my time. :(

4 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Come on guys, you know it's misspelled "Calvary"!:lol:

I thought it was Calgary. :lol:

“The bold Dragoon. He has no care.

As he rides along with uncombed hair.”

Yup. Uncombed. That’s me nowadays for sure. Just call me Dragoon Bob.

B6F29EC8-AFCC-45D1-A986-78AEE2935D36.jpeg

Archived