SASS Wire Forum

Your Right to Write

very nice handwriting!  My cursive was always barely legible.  in highschool, where it didn't matter so much, my writing evolved into a part cursive part printing hybrid.  Then engineering school kicked in.  I was right at the point where early classes involved teaching drafting and proper lettering, but by the time I graduated, drafting was no longer part of the curriculum past a cursory bit of information.  Now a days, mostly block lettering type printing, if I expect anybody including myself to be able to read it.

It's not just cursive.

I do so much on a keyboard (or keypad) that even when I try to print it's all wiggly and hard to read.

Last summer when I wrote the check for putting the new roof on my house, I printed the check, then took a blank piece of paper and wrote my signature about six times, until my hand remembered how to do it. Then I signed the check.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I noticed you slash your zeros.

Do you cross your sevens?

image.png.72bd2ebdc45984c8982a0cf995eac8dd.png

3 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What does that note say? I can't read it. 

Could you print it and remove all of the punctuation marks. 

He would also need to remove the capitals.

Oh, wait a minute. No one knows what "capitals" are any more.

Replace all the UPPER CASE letters with LOWER CASE.

5 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What does that note say? I can't read it. 

Could you print it and remove all of the punctuation marks. 

image.png.7d1c353a28b7ecca979451e43044f0da.png

I used to routinely slash my zeros, but now I only do it when I have a mixture of uppercase letters and numerals, so there is no confusion between O and 0.

When I was taking accounting, 50 years ago, I would cross my 2s, to distinguish them from Zs. Gave that up long ago. (Edit: you know, thinking about it a little, I think I crossed my Zs so they would not be confused with 2s, instead of the other way around.)

But I have been crossing my 7s since High School. Company I worked at from 81 to 85, where I had to write long columns of figures, they told me to stop, as the morons in the home office thought that I was writing 4s, and my totals did not agree with their totals.

I tried explaining to the idiots at home office that I had made my fours the same way since elementary school, and my fours and my sevens looked nothing alike, but they insisted.

IMG_20200505_135623.thumb.jpg.3434d944936f41e68501a66ec3f2ea44.jpg

Once me and they parted company, I went back to crossing them.

Dude. Like what is that? It’s like some kind of code man!

FKCGG, you misspelled "definitely."  Twice.  ;)

So the only good thing I can think of with not teaching the youngun's cursive is that we now have a secret code we can use against 'em~!!  :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Or the 'Z'?

..........Widder

image.png.ac461a7a5a7fb630be87dc24ef425536.png

Zorro GIF | Gfycat

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I used to routinely slash my zeros, but now I only do it when I have a mixture of uppercase letters and numerals, so there is no confusion between O and 0.

When I was taking accounting, 50 years ago, I would cross my 2s, to distinguish them from Zs. Gave that up long ago. (Edit: you know, thinking about it a little, I think I crossed my Zs so they would not be confused with 2s, instead of the other way around.)

But I have been crossing my 7s since High School. Company I worked at from 81 to 85, where I had to write long columns of figures, they told me to stop, as the morons in the home office thought that I was writing 4s, and my totals did not agree with their totals.

I tried explaining to the idiots at home office that I had made my fours the same way since elementary school, and my fours and my sevens looked nothing alike, but they insisted.

IMG_20200505_135623.thumb.jpg.3434d944936f41e68501a66ec3f2ea44.jpg

Once me and they parted company, I went back to crossing them.

image.png.c1f5e318ced5c66cd4679e24fd09c9b1.png

The credit card machine at a local grocery store. After I swiped my card I was looking for the little pen to sign it.

The cashier told me to just use my finger. Seems like, couple years back, UPS electronic signature thingy - you were supposed to sign that with your finger.

Send the gun to me, marked ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED, and they have me sign with my finger on a touchpad 2" wide. 

"We delivered that correctly. See we have a signature."

Yeeaaahhhhh. Sure. Looks just like the signature on my driver's license don't it.

14 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Makes no sense. 

15776733002_f4d05b346d_z.jpg.89a75addb65b6e5d1cf56fe937adea86.jpg

image.png

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Does your Q look like a fancy #2? Your S look like a backwards treble cleft?

The Q is the one cursive letter I can't even remember.  I know I learned it but it has since been unlearned. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

In grade school,  I found that I could write with both hands at the same time.  Only catch was that my left hand wrote the same thing as my right only backward. 

In HS I taught myself to do that with my left hand because I had nothing better to do before school.  My handwriting was actually looking better with the left.  I had a friend who broke his right arm and I realized how screwed I'd be if I broke my right arm and had to turn everything in like that and stopped.  A couple of us started a bible study group instead. 

I don't write very good.  I'm one of those who often can't read his own writing 30 minutes later.  I do cross my zeros and Zs so I can always make them out. 

bnm.jpg

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

He would also need to remove the capitals.

Oh, wait a minute. No one knows what "capitals" are any more.

Replace all the UPPER CASE letters with LOWER CASE.

then many Asians would never be able to read it.  It is heavily advertised that learning English is required in Japan. What they don’t tell you is that the lesser students never get beyond upper case.

Makes sense to me.

I can transcribe (mostly) Russian Cyrillic if it is printed in capitals.

"Little letters" gives me much much much much more trouble.

Written instead of printed? Forget about it.

By the way - am I the only one that still talks about "printing" vs "real writing" (cursive? What the hell is that?), and "capital and little letters" instead of  "upper and lower case"?

Those are the terms I learned in elementary school. And that's still what I call them today.

The hundred degree temperature range is still Centigrade also. 312001429_Raspberry2.jpg.f55abcdb177901892de2eb6b507b4171.jpg

I broke a bone in my right thumb in a tackling drill my senior year of high school (before the first game... just to make it worse I missed the whole season).  So I had to write left handed (and do just about everything else lefty).  I found, just like Warden Callaway, that if I tried left handed cursive, it came out backwards, including my signature.  The same muscle movements in your left hand that you are used to in your right hand result in backwards writing.  Not that it comes in handy very often... more like a "stupid human trick", or something to amaze drunk friends with.

Before breaking my thumb, I couldn't do much lefty.  After a crash course in being a southpaw I am now kind of ambidextrous.  I shoot double duelist and  I mouse left handed (mostly just to keep other people from using my computer, I have the buttons reversed :)).

I learned cursive in third grade (about 1950) in the Chicago public schools.  When we moved to the suburbs in 1954, none of the kids had been taught cursive!  When I took drafting classes and worked in industry, I, of course printed in block lettering.  When writing in cursive, I do print the letter "Q" in block printing, and also the letters "G" and "L".  I do sometimes slash zeros, but back slash them so they can't be misread if the circle is too oval.  I do, also, slash my 7's.  This came about in the Air Force to clarify filling out forms.  I never drove a stick shift until I got in the AF.  Had to learn in order to drive our pickup trucks.  One of the NCO's in our Field Supervision Section taught me.  Haven't drive a manual tranny in about 40 years, but probably could remember how.

Stay well, Pards!

When I write in real writing, which I do very very seldom, my G, L, Q and S look nothing at all like the pictures I remember over the blackboard in third grade.  Matter of fact, they look very much like printing.

Not too long along I looked at something I had handprinted and the 1 and the 7 looked too similar to me.  So I just started using the German 7, which is my association for the 7 with the slash in it.  End of confusion.  

Back in a former job, before extensive word processing, I had to create what amounted to a flow chart that showed the ownership history of a parcel of land.  The idea was to if possible put the 60 year ownership history on a single sheet of legal paper.  I could put 3 levels of block characters by hand in a single space on a sheet of legal paper, and they were perfectly legible.  I left that job in 2002, and the firm still refers to my old work.

I learned cursive writing back in 4th grade or so, but I also learned how to print almost as fast as I could write cursive.  The extra time spent in printing more than made up for the time spent answering questions about what I wrote in cursive.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:13 PM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Very nice but you spelled "definitely" wrong. :P

Archived