SASS Wire Forum

Grease and my new PW-87 Lever Action 12 Gauge Shotgun?

Brian Wilson

A dry, old t-shirt will do.  Don’t get too vigorous with it.  

Car Brules

15 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

A dry, old t-shirt will do.  Don’t get too vigorous with it.  

Car Brules

Thanks for the info. Can you use a degreaser or ballistol to take the grease off as well?

All of my guns I start cleaning with non chlorinated brake cleaner and take it down to metal no lubricant left. Be liberal it’s only $2 a can. I might remove wood, might not. Then I heavily oil with Ballistol until you go sh*t...I put too much on. You didn’t. Let it set overnight, cycle the action, wipe up the excess. 

Regarding what I said earlier about wiping down your weapon with an old, dry Tshirt....  The reason to do this, is to leave a light sheen of oil/grease, on the metal itself. This light coating will forestall rust or other oxidation,   One could use some type of solvent to remove all oil and grease and then, put a coating of oil or grease on it again.  Personally, I would wipe the weapon down with the dry T-shirt and make sure to rub the wood down at the same time.  I wipe my guns down occasionally with a dry tshirt or a slightly oily tshirt rag I keep in a one-gallon Ziplok freezer bag.  That is what I do anyway. It’s up to you how you go about it.

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

All of my guns I start cleaning with non chlorinated brake cleaner and take it down to metal no lubricant left. Be liberal it’s only $2 a can. I might remove wood, might not. Then I heavily oil with Ballistol until you go sh*t...I put too much on. You didn’t. Let it set overnight, cycle the action, wipe up the excess. 

I never thought about brake cleaner to clean the the gun with. Thanks for the tips. Have a good one.

4 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Regarding what I said earlier about wiping down your weapon with an old, dry Tshirt....  The reason to do this, is to leave a light sheen of oil/grease, on the metal itself. This light coding will forestall rust or other oxidation,   One could use some type of solvent to remove all oil and grease and then, put a coating of oil or grease on it again.  Personally, I would wipe the weapon down with the dry T-shirt and make sure to rub the wood down at the same time.  I wipe my guns down occasionally with a dry tshirt or a slightly oily tshirt rag I keep in a one-gallon Ziplok freezer bag.  That is what I do anyway. It’s up to you how you go about it.

Cat Brules

That does make sense to wipe off the excess oil or the other method that you have mentioned. I could use Ballistol on a T-shirt and use that when it is warranted. Thank you for the tips.

Be sure you apply some protection after using the brake cleaner. It really cleans and I have to be careful to replace protection throughout the gun once I've used it.  So I only use it (brake cleaner) in extreme case

I used ballistol many years ago but found the mineral oi only a fair lubricant, if that.  It was "okay" as a rust preventative but I've found soo much better products.

For heavier lubrication loads, I use Mobil 1 great or some gun greases.  Eezox is not my favorite lube but is a very good rust preventative as is Frog Lube and Seal 1.  Lucas makes good stuff as well.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Be sure you apply some protection after using the brake cleaner. It really cleans and I have to be careful to replace protection throughout the gun once I've used it.  So I only use it (brake cleaner) in extreme case

I used ballistol many years ago but found the mineral oi only a fair lubricant, if that.  It was "okay" as a rust preventative but I've found soo much better products.

For heavier lubrication loads, I use Mobil 1 great or some gun greases.  Eezox is not my favorite lube but is a very good rust preventative as is Frog Lube and Seal 1.  Lucas makes good stuff as well.

I never thought about gun grease. Interesting I will have to take a look at the gun grease, Eezox, and Frog Lube. Thank you for the tips.

30 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

be certain you grab the NON CHLORINATED brake cleaner. the regular stuff takes off cheap blueing. ask me how I know lol. but honestly I use it all the time. 

Thank you for the tips. I appreciate that.

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Regarding what I said earlier about wiping down your weapon with an old, dry Tshirt....  The reason to do this, is to leave a light sheen of oil/grease, on the metal itself. This light coating will forestall rust or other oxidation,   One could use some type of solvent to remove all oil and grease and then, put a coating of oil or grease on it again.  Personally, I would wipe the weapon down with the dry T-shirt and make sure to rub the wood down at the same time.  I wipe my guns down occasionally with a dry tshirt or a slightly oily tshirt rag I keep in a one-gallon Ziplok freezer bag.  That is what I do anyway. It’s up to you how you go about it.

Cat Brules

Cat if it was a normal lubricant I'd agree 100%. However, the oil on new firearms from China and Italy is more of a rust preventative akin to cosmoline than a good lubricant.  It is very thick and sticky and will attract and hold dust, dirt and debris.  Better to remove it and replace it with a less tacky product.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Cat if it was a normal lubricant I'd agree 100%. However, the oil on new firearms from China and Italy is more of a rust preventative akin to cosmoline than a good lubricant.  It is very thick and sticky and will attract and hold dust, dirt and debris.  Better to remove it and replace it with a less tacky product.

That is a good point!   

Best,

CB

Archived