SASS Wire Forum

Ruger/ heritage 22lr

jasper stone

I have been a big fan of the heritage Roughrider for the last four years. That is until the Ruger wrangler was introduced and brought out on the market. There’s nothing wrong with the heritage Roughrider. You definitely get what you pay for. The only problem is there is nothing you can do to make it much smoother or faster. No aftermarket parts to speed it up are available. On the other hand the Ruger wrangler is in the same category as all other ruger Single action revolver‘s. There are many manufacturers of aftermarket parts to make them smoother and faster.

Recently got a pair of the Wrangler’s. Polished all the internal parts and changed springs. When stock, had grinding and grating noises, needed two people to open the loading gate and pulling the hammer back required a two handed grip, no duelist unless your thumb was really strong. Now way way way better. Still a little picky about ammo but only have about 400 rounds thru them. (CCI’s work great, bulk types iffy) Roughrider’s were better out of the box but after only a couple shooting seasons are becoming loose and starting to get less reliable as far as FTF. Both serve their intended purpose nicely (low cost entry level) and are reasonably accurate. 
YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I was going to buy the Heritages but the salesman talked me out of them. Said the Rugers were better buy. He was out of them. I was in no hurry at the time. I did end up buying the Wranglers and they shot very good out of the box.

26 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Have you handled either? As soon as you do, you’ll likely answer your question yourself.

We are currently shooting heritage,  and have worked well. One was a hand me down and the other was a gift from grandpa.  Was considering to upgrade but if these will work fine for my young shooters.?(I'd be broke if each kid got their own pair of pistols)

I own both .

But Rugers are Rugers ! 

Thay are tough and look much better then the Haritage.

Then again nothing wrong with the Heritage a little rougher looking and a ugly safety on it .

But a though little 22 also .

So saith the Rooster 

11 hours ago, jasper stone said:

We are currently shooting heritage,  and have worked well. One was a hand me down and the other was a gift from grandpa.  Was considering to upgrade but if these will work fine for my young shooters.?(I'd be broke if each kid got their own pair of pistols)

Both our boys have shot the Rough Riders. Our oldest, now 14 shot them for two seasons before he moved to full size guns and our youngest at 11 is running them. One thing I did notice is that after each season, at bare minimum, all of the screws on the frame need backed out and then re-torqued. Found this out the hard way when one gun's trigger guard came loose in the middle of a big annual (missing two screws!). After that, I tried adding a dab of blue loctite, but it didn't seem to help. Just tightening them help some, but after every monthly, they had to be retightened down. Now, I back them all out, and then retighten them in an alternating fashion. I am assuming that the grip puts too much torque on the trigger guard and the vibrations from the rounds help back the screws out. 

Have looked at buying a new set of Wranglers for the youngest, but in all reality he has maybe another year before he will start shooting 38s, so I think I am going to hold off and put the money towards a set of Vaqueros for him. 

I've stayed away from the heritage because of the safety on the recoil shield. I just really dislike the looks of it sitting there. I opted for a pair of chiappa 22lr's. between the mrs and I plinking with them we have about 5k rounds through each of them.  For the $139. each i'm very pleased with them. I'm sure the ruger wrangler is a fine pistol but after watching a gunsmith test them out with lightened springs and struggling to find one that improved the action and still 100% reliable i'll stick with my cheapy chiappas. 

I bought a pair of Heritage revolvers a couple of years back on special for just over $100 each. I use them a couple of time a year since the two clubs I shoot at have a .22 Rim Fire class using .22 pistols & rifles. I have no complaints on the Rough Riders as they have functioned just fine for me. 

Archived