SASS Wire Forum

Goodie, Goodie, I found an intact copy of Mako's Percussion Cap Primer.

Once Photobucket stopped allowing folks to see pics, I thought this was lost forever.

I found a site that has it & made a PDF of it.

If yer a cap gun guy, you NEED to read this article!

--Dawg

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

There seems to be much information that can enlighten some us shooting cap guns....I too have this info somewhere on my hard drive...Just finding it was the problem....Now I have started one folder just for this kind of very nice info to have....If I don't lose it again....

Texas Lizard

I've tried to read this thread, and I think my head exploded like a poorly fitted cap on a cross-drilled nipple, with magnum blow-back !

T-Square:

Read the other one first, then read this one.

They compliment each other.

The more you understand, the better your ignition on your cap guns.

Once you understand it, you only need to keep it for reference, and to give to newbies.

--Dawg

Dawg, 

yes sir, I read the first article this afternoon.

i was kidding a little, because while the thread has great information, it's a compilation of many partial thoughts, and incomplete explainations.

im going to have to study all this information.  My frame of reference has been that capt Bailey swears by Treso nipples and Rem no. 10s.  But Mako says the Treso is for the no 11.

ive been shooting Treso and number tens, with 17 lbs hammer springs, with great pleasure and success.

i just bought two sets of Slix nipples, and if we ever get to shoot again, I'm going to try them.

and then I'm going to try lighter 15 lbs hammer springs

plenty of combinations and plenty of reasons to shoot more often !

what say the group? Who is shooting what combo?

nipple?

cap?

hammer spring tension?

just curious.......asking for a friend...... LOL

T-Square:

I knew that Treso was made for Rem #11. 
I think I read it in their catalog. 
And I knew that Rem #10 typically split in the final seating, cuz the cone broadens out a bit as you get farther from the top .
But they work, and when they were scarce, and I bought a case of #11, I used them for a while, but I still like #10 better.
I had all Treso nips on my guns in those days.
And yes, Slix are optimized for Rem #10.
And they work very well.
But I still give the edge to Treso.
Ask 20 Frontiersman, and 10 like Treso better, and ten like slix better.
But, as I tell newbies, Treso or slix, and rem #10 will make all your ignition problems disappear. 
--Dawg

Archived