SASS Wire Forum

New holsters

JP McLintock

Finished up a new set of holsters for myself today, put them on a belt I've had for awhile.

Old model vaqueros 7 1/2 inch barrels in 45 Colt, makes for a long holster.

They are a new pattern, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Thanks again

IMG_20200504_213526273.jpg

IMG_20200504_213520187.jpg

IMG_20200504_213511788.jpg

IMG_20200504_215012043.jpg

Look great!

Very nice.  They look great!

Cat Brules

They don't appear to be lined ....

Why is the stitching different at the toes ? 

Small details to be sure ...

But overall Nice Work ...

Jabez Cowboy 

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

They don't appear to be lined ....

Why is the stitching different at the toes ? 

Small details to be sure ...

But overall Nice Work ...

Jabez Cowboy 

They are lined, they are made of 2 layers of 6/7 ounce leather, which makes for a nice rigid holster as for the stitching difference I was working late at night and forgot to stitch the toe on that one before I put the seam together, since they are mine I left it that way,  on a customer's rig I would have hand sewn the toe after I realized what I did :o

They look like there is a slight muzzle forward angle to the Hang, is the top flared for ease of Re-holstering ?

The overall look is very pleasing ...

Jabez Cowboy

The holsters look great. Too bad the grips don't match :)

Yes they are just a tad muzzle forward, tops are flared out quite a bit and the holsters are made to fit the gun loose, if you get the muzzle in and let go the pistol will slide in on its own.

Some time I need to order a matching rosewood grip for the one pistol.

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The work and leather looks great but the style is not my cup of tea. 

They are not real traditional looking, the loop over the belt is long and the front is cut deep to help the barrel clear a little faster, all together those thing make it so you don't have to lift quite so high to get the 7 1/2" barrel out. :D

1 minute ago, JP McLintock said:

They are not real traditional looking, the loop over the belt is long and the front is cut deep to help the barrel clear a little faster, all together those thing make it so you don't have to lift quite so high to get the 7 1/2" barrel out. :D

I like the longer drop. it's the deep cut front and how high up & out the pistol sits that i'm not keen on. It takes all kinds to make the world go around so if that's what you like by all means pay no attention to me. I shoot 8" barrels so I know the struggle of dragging one out of leather lol. 

The Pistols won't fall out during normal movement, but I wouldn't do cartwheels with them, or use them for anything other than competition.

I have a  almost complete rig on the bench right now for the Mrs., It's a traditional Mexican loop set up.

Thanks for the input.

id like to see those too , i love seeing what are being made a dreaming of what i might one day want for my custom rig , ive settled into shooting 5 1/2s but i have a little of everything 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

id like to see those too , i love seeing what are being made a dreaming of what i might one day want for my custom rig , ive settled into shooting 5 1/2s but i have a little of everything 

Hopefully I can get up your way sometime after normal resumes.

Really nice work.  Really nice rig.  The workspace is too neat and orderly.  My workspace looks like a Grenade went off.  And I just cleaned it up  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Really nice work.  Really nice rig.  The workspace is too neat and orderly.  My workspace looks like a Grenade went off.  And I just cleaned it up  :rolleyes:

Thank you,  the shop does look kinda nice and organized in that picture, it's usually more of a bomb went off type space. :blink:

Archived