SASS Wire Forum

Hankerin for open tops

Been doing a lot of thinking about getting a set of 1872 open tops.  Don't know what all is required to make them sass ready  Is there a good source of info available to help me decide if they are what I really want.  Will primarily be used with smokeless powder.  Thanks 

Mine needed No tuning ,,,, Out of the Box they had 1 3/4 pound triggers,  indexed perfectly had no end shake .... Good to Go ...

Mine are in .44 Russian/ Colt .44 Spl . chambering, I don't think they have ever fired any of that new Fad powder ....

But in the past 3 years they have seen plenty of full case loads of Goex 3F .... under either 220 or 244 Gr. RNFP soft cast bullets ...

Mine are with the Navy Grips and 7 1/2 inch barrels ...

I sometimes pair them up with a Marlin 94 shooting the same .44 spl. loads ... 

But mostly they see action alongside of my 66 in .38 -40 ....

Jabez Cowboy

I shoot primarily open tops and Richard masons, mostly black powder but some smokeless. Get them set up by a good Smith you will never look back. My 73 pistols have become safe queens. Ol#4 did all 3 sets of mine and 2 sets of cap and ball pistols.

Rafe

I have a Beautiful set all tuend and read to go .

For sale in the Classifieds .

They was done by Long Hunters shop .

They are as good as it can get in Open Tops .

Just Sayin 

Rooster 

Are newer open tops just not reliable out of their boxes?   I bought 2x Cimarrons followed 3 yrs later by 2x Taylors and all they needed was to have the grease taken off them, loaded up and shot.

Or is “sass ready” like saying “race ready”?  

You will not be disappointed with the decision to go with open tops. I have one pair and love them. They shot pretty good out of the box with nothing done to them but I gave them to Boomstick and when I got them back they were fit properly, timed better and work smoother. Mo betta now.

I have a pair, one was used, the other new.   Both needed the mandrels shimmed.  They were short by 1/16” or more.  I also swapped in wolf springs.  With those two changes they run well although the used one is a bit rougher. 

I got my first pair in about 2005. There 5 1/2 inch 38's. From that point on they were my first choice for main match pistols. Probably shot that pair in 90% of the matches I shot until I was unable to continue about 3 years ago. And from 2002 until I was forced to quit I was shooting virtually every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. Along the way I acquired a set of 44's, again 5 1/2 barrels with Navy grips. Also another set of 38's, which I had cut down to 4 3/4 after tiring of waiting for a set of barrels to become available from any of the suppliers. I also had the hammers turned down. All 3 sets required replacing the firing pins with the ones from the Smith Shop, a common occurrence on the earlier Uberti's. I think they worked that out around 2010(?) to where the stock pins are good as any. You won't find a more natural pointing revolver for this game IMHO.

I bought my wife a pair many years ago now. Last month while cleaning them I noticed a crack in the forcing cone. I've contacted the manufacturer and sent them pictures. The Uberti representative was very concerned but that was a month ago and I still haven't heard back from her. The guns are in 45 Schofield and have never had a smokeless load through them.  We really like the guns and hope that this one is not a wall hanger now!

Jasper

open top crack.jpeg

open top crack #1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jasper Agate said:

I bought my wife a pair many years ago now. Last month while cleaning them I noticed a crack in the forcing cone. I've contacted the manufacturer and sent them pictures. The Uberti representative was very concerned but that was a month ago and I still haven't heard back from her. The guns are in 45 Schofield and have never had a smokeless load through them.  We really like the guns and hope that this one is not a wall hanger now!

Jasper

I'm not sure where the Uberti representative is you talked to, but if they have to communicate with anyone in Italy you could be in for a slightly longer wait.

Stores are just now being opened back up on a limited basis in southern Italy, not sure about up north.

Southern Italy had nowhere near the positive cases as northern Italy.

4 hours ago, Jasper Agate said:

Jasper

open top crack.jpeg

open top crack #1.jpeg

This is a known point of failure on the 45 calibre guns. I don't think there will be any warranty offered or available. Your best bet would be to change calibre to either 38 or 44. Just not enough meat left on there to contain the stress of a bullet squeezing down. There was also talk one time of the thickness of the cylinder at the bolt notches and how that could be a weak point. Looks like $295 per set for barrel and cylinder from VTI.  $260 from Taylors, each would be a little more if you needed new wedges.

That split barrel at the bottom of the forcing cone was not too uncommon around 15 years ago.  Happened on a few of the .44's as well.  Happened worse on some that had forcing cones cut with action jobs.  Your gun is out of warranty, I'm pretty sure. :)

There is more meat at the rear of the barrel now.  If you want to replace your barrel, you should have no problems with the new one.

Archived