SASS Wire Forum

Cap & Ball Revolvers - Your favorite

The long and short of it.  Got tired of having to do what the Italians should have done before they ship their guns.

CB2FA022-F388-4CFF-BFD6-923BC2951558.thumb.jpeg.e69a524d8d91f7e2680191487c96c3db.jpeg

My 3" Pieta 51 Navies.

They came with 5" I got the 3" from VTI (you have to buy the 3" barrels separately here, the importer wont bring in the 3" for some reason).

I have ordered the same in 44 I like them so much.

The front sights are an after market done by a GS here in Aust.

5.jpg

My favorite is the 1851 Navy to me the prettiest best balanced gun ever made.

Do to arthritic wrists I’m searching for an 1862 police it’s much lighter than the Navy. I know Dixie has them but I’d like to actually handle one before buying 

Colt 1851 Navy

.36 caliber

A couple years ago I bought a Cimarron .36 1851 Navy, and it is so fun to shoot I haven't even thought of expanding the collection. Mine was actually put together right, with no attention needed to the arbor or anything else. I also have an old Centaure 1860 Army that my dad bought back in 1971, but is a pain in the rear as it's difficult to load the percussion caps. Also the action feels rough and it has really strong springs in it, unlike the 1851 which is slick and smooth. If I were to get another cap n' ball revolver it would probably be one of the Italian 1860s, since I like the looks.

1860 Army for aesthetics and balance.

But...

1858 Rem with 45 Colt cartridge conversion cylinder is waaaaaaaayfuner.

Ruger Old Armies

Not for SASS competition, but as a historical collection piece and for casual range shooting, I've suggested this cased Walker set to my wife as a gift idea.  I have a birthday in Sept, anniversary in Nov, and of course, Christmas.  I do like that it's cased with accessories.  Seems to add a little "eye candy' class.  Would you kick it out of bed?  Thoughts please...^_^

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9048/category_id/321/product_name/SS1258+SED+SET+-+WALKER+REVOLVER

This is my Uberti Navy.

t9JoGn.jpg

A matched pair of Uberti 1860 Army 8" civilian model six guns (3 screw frame, nothing cut for stocks) with Eagle "ivory grips (if they ever get here) and Rick Bachman "wedding band"pattern tooled holsters and matching plain belt in brown with a Will Ghormly square white brass buckle.  Been working on this combo for about two years now and I have driven cars that didn't cost as much as this lash-up.

They WILL be worth it when I get them.  One pistol should be on its way back this week.  The other will be along later.

Anything Colt .

No Remington .

A Ruger will work no matter what. 

So saith the Rooster 

Process of elimination - 

Walkers - they were just too dang big, so I sold 'em here seven years ago.

Dragoons - never had any, but they look just as big and clumsy as the Walkers.

1851 .36 Colt pattern - I like 'em!

1858 .44 Remington pattern - I just can't get used to the Remington style grips. I think I may have shot one match with them.

1860 .44 Colt pattern - I like 'em!

1861 .36 Colt pattern - OK, but I prefer the look of the 1851's.

Ruger Old Army .45 - Great for competition, but they just don't have style. 

I have some High Standard/Uberti Griswold & Gunnison .36's that are 1851 size, but with brass frames and round barrels. Just like shooting a '51, but I'd rather have the steel frame of the Colt pattern.

11 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Luv' my ROA's

001.JPG

How long are those barrels?

The pair of Pietta 1858 5.5" Remingtons I shoot sometimes in Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.

I wouldn't mind a pair of Ruger stainless 5.5" Old Armies, but I can't justify the $800+ for a used one.

23 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

My 3" Pieta 51 Navies.

They came with 5" I got the 3" from VTI (you have to buy the 3" barrels separately here, the importer wont bring in the 3" for some reason).

I have ordered the same in 44 I like them so much.

The front sights are an after market done by a GS here in Aust.

5.jpg

Someone has kindly pointed out to me my 3" barrels have an unapproved front sight (SHB page 37)

Revolver – Fixed Sight Models

- Fixed sight revolvers may only use traditional style, barrel mounted, fixed metallic foresights of a simple blade, bead, or post configuration.  

- A simple open notched rear sight cut into the frame, hammer, or latch mechanism is the only rear sight allowed.  

- Ramp style front sights are not allowed.

- Beaded post front sights or inserts are not allowed

So the 3" barrels will be relogated to fun shooting and its back to 5" for sport.

Thank you to the kind (and observant) member who pointed it out.

The funny thing is I gave the 1851 beads to the GS to fit thinking he would fit them like an 1851, however he was so proud of the design he came up with I just went along with it, its my fault I should have checked. They are still a HOOT to SHOOT!

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The short barrel ROA are 5.5"

PM is to cheap to get a custom gun made:P

I might sleep with a hand on my hair for a while.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Howdy Yul

It's probably just the angle of the pic but they are the standard 5  1 / 2 ''.

Hope you are both well.

Archived