SASS Wire Forum

Hogdons Clays powder

Phoenix Rising

Are you talking from personal experiance? LOL

Humidity is not generally our friend.

First, smell it, does it smell okay?

If possible, compare it to a fresh sample.

Put just a little ( 2 gr max) on something that won't burn, take it outside and light it up.  It should do a sorta slow burn.

Powder manufacturers don't expect powder to be left OPEN for more than a few days.   Sealed or closed firmly in original bottle and not exposed to temperatures over about 95 F - powder will last for many years.   Conditions in between those two extremes - things may be "somewhat different."

I KNOW that TiteGroup powder will set up into firm clumps if left OPEN for a month - I found that out the hard way.   Those clumps didn't affect performance, but CERTAINLY made it hard to get the right powder weight into any given case with a measure!     

If you have left it out in the air for several years, and you COUNT on your powder working well, I would throw it out (a lawn will appreciate it spread out thinly).   Even if you DON'T count on your loads for any real purpose, after several years are you even sure which powder that is?   Have you ever loaded more than one powder?   Consider your safety (and those around you) and act appropriately.

Good luck, GJ

Some powders will lose some of their velocity after a period of time especially if they are not sealed tightly in their original container and in temperature controlled conditions. I had some 3031 that lost about 15% of its effectiveness compared to a new container.

kR

I've used Clays for 24+ years. It stays in the hopper on my 650, with the lid on, it's not an air tight seal, it works fine. However, living in Wyoming we have low humidity and temps don't normally exceed 90. 

I had some in a Lee powder measure from when I used to shoot .45 Colt, it's been 10 years or so. Last week I uncovered the press and loaded 50 rounds just to see if it would work and to get my old Vaqueros out of the safe, it shot just fine. I was shooting .38's in the rifle and 4.9gr. Clays behind a 200 gr. bullet in the Vaqueros.

Randy

Archived