SASS Wire Forum

Big brother says the people are done

I am seeing more and more people getting outside. Traffic is also getting a little heavier. I really can’t blame people , but if folks would look at the timeline of the 1918 flu pandemic people would realize we have a longer road ahead of us than behind us. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

.............Traffic is also getting a little heavier............. 

I have noticed that as well over the last week or two.

Where they are going to or coming from at all times of the day is beyond me ... Considering that nothing is open yet.

Menards was so busy last weekend that people were parking in other lots to walk over. It's been like that there. No distancing at all. 

When we get hit with a Second wave of people infected. 

They will be crying the blues that the quarantine has to start all over again .

I dont see much freedom for 2020 

Local radio station (KMJ, Fresno - about 25 miles south of here) runs a daily poll.  Today's question was:

Fresno’s shelter-in-place order has been extended to May 31st. Will you follow or break the rules?
  • I'll follow the rules until May 31st
  • 26%
  • I'll break the rules before May 31st
  • 74%

I'm an old fart and have to do my own shopping, but limit my "excursions."  I am also one of those very high risk types, so I will continue to wear the mask and gloves and carry a vial of sanitizer in my pocket.  And I will respect other folks' personal space.  But - if someone decides that it's their "constitutional right" to get in my face, I may invite that person to step back.  Once.  After that, said person will be picking their sorry ass up off the ground.  -_-

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The parking lots at Home Depot and Wally World were packed this weekend. :(

Yup. Same here since day one.

Apparently brick pavers, pruning shears and paint is essential. :o

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am seeing more and more people getting outside. Traffic is also getting a little heavier. I really can’t blame people , but if folks would look at the timeline of the 1918 flu pandemic people would realize we have a longer road ahead of us than behind us. 

You're asking people to study history?

;)

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But - if someone decides that it's their "constitutional right" to get in my face, I may invite that person to step back.  Once.  After that, said person will be picking their sorry ass up off the ground.  

I am noticing more and more that people think that having a mask on allows them to not abide by the 6’ rule. It’s actually a guideline, not a rule. Most folks apologize if they realize it or you nicely bring it up and they step back. I have encountered a few that are not so nice. Then I am not so nice. No one has ended up with the sorry butt on the ground, but one guy was pushing it. 

I love the 6’’ rule. I am not a fan of people being close to me and I am claustrophobic in crowds so I got that going for me. ;)

I always figured that the quarantine would end as people decided it would end for them. 

There are many facets to this situation:

Economic vs Health Safety

Macro vs Personal Levels

Regional and cultural differences

Every decision is made by balancing priorities. 

Nobody will ever be able to honestly make an absolute pronouncement of “All Clear”.

And thus we are back to people making individual choices. 

I don't know about Wal-Mart, that's my wife's domain. Home Depot, holy crap, it's been the busiest I've ever seen it. I'm in HD daily for work and they are packed.

The manager told me they were not running sales because they didn't want a huge influx of people. People are coming up to Cheyenne from Colorado and shopping at Wal-Mart, and the home improvement stores. I went by the golf course, and local fishing lakes in Cheyenne on Friday and they were packed. The golfers were not practicing any type of distancing. The fisherman are spread out, that's normal. 

We shot Sunday and wore bandanas, we spread out, timers were in zip lock bags, each timer operator had his own timer, one person was scoring.

It went well. 

People go screaming off in panic because there is no vaccine for COVID-19.   But the vaccine that put their faith in is just a best guess at what strain of flu will be hitting in the upcoming season.  Then it's not nearly 100% effective.  More like 40%-60% depending how well they guessed.  

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

By the time they develop a vaccine for COVID-19,  there will be another mutation come around.  

Speaking from personal experience, I consider it both dangerous and selfish to ignore the dangers this crud presents to people, especially the elderly, those in poor health, those with weakened immune systems, heart patients, the diabetic etc.

I watched my brother-in-law - the  best man at my wedding - my friend, die in the matter of a couple of days from this.

Judging from what I've seen yesterday at Home Depot and today at Sam's Club......by the end of May there will be more cases of the virus than there ever was previously. I'd say that 5%of the under 50 crowd were wearing masks and about 50% of the over 50 crowd were wearing masks. People weren't maintaining distancing for the most part. At Sam's, some bleach blonde cougar in the produce department was coughing loudly (the reason I noticed) without covering her dumbass mouth. 

Mark my words, this will be back with a vengeance at the end of May.

Everyone here is wearing masks in public. They just forget about distance. 

Another trend I notice is something I call “Carrier Sailors on Liberty“ Syndrome.

People going out in public for the first time in weeks and acting like everyone should get out of their way while they act like arseholes in public. 

Here in my tourist based-college town, lines at the grocery stores are almost a thing of the past, Home Depot seems to  be back to normal, and there are lots of people playing in the forest.  The amount of out of state plates and RV's on the loose in town is way up from a few weeks ago. Most are trying to be safe by following protocols....I am still and will continue to practice societal distancing  but then I always have.  Cowboys love the wide open spaces where people are few and traffic noise just doesn't exist.

And another thing about the so-called experts...

It is entirely possible for well-intentioned, good-hearted, intelligent people to look at the exact same data sets and yet choose very different conclusions and recommendations.  And be perfectly justified by the data.

Again, we all come with our diverse biases and values, and individual sets of circumstances.  We have many in the Saloon who are of high risk categories, and rightfully advocate for extended society-wide isolations and enforced masking.  Yet these same individuals bristle at the notion of most anything else that impedes a personal liberty.  And it is perfectly okay to hold these seemingly diverse views within the same heart.

These are strange times.  We’re all venturing forward through a threat like nobody’s seen in our lifetime. We make choices and take steps, trying to find the new normal that works for us as individuals, families, and communities.

We will get there, friends.  In that, I have great faith.

98% don't have to be shut down for 2%.  The at risk should take protection.  Also Infection does not equate death. 

In my state almost 100% of death is 60 and above with obviously skewed heavily 80 and above for that number.

Are you really going to equate the 1918 influenza with today?  Ridiculous.

Indoor toilets vs out houses.

Electricity vs almost none

Today's water supply system vs hand pumps

Health care systems vs maybe a local doctor

Safe consistent food supply vs uninspected limited seasonal

Daily hot showers vs maybe weekly tub bath

I just got a morning update from son in Minneapolis area that's been furloughed for a couple of weeks from his nursing job.  He says he's going back to work next week.  He says their numbers are picking up.  Added fishing season is opening up this weekend and everyone will be out on the water. 

I'm guessing he'll be ready to get back to work after weeks of "honey do" projects his wife has had for him.  She has been working as much from home as going into the office.  

Older son works at a factory and has been working 6 days a week but he hears rumors that they may have to shut down.  Not for local conditions but they exchange products and production wirh another factory in Old Mexico. Mexico has shut down that factory so they are hard pressed to keep up production.  They have already started to furlough some people. 

I have noticed that the cover-up(mask and gloves.) is very much like the forums.  Put on your mask and gloves and you are just as invisible as posting on the SASS wire.You can say things you would never in public or on a forum with your real name.

13 minutes ago, Noz said:

I have noticed that the cover-up(mask and gloves.) is very much like the forums.  Put on your mask and gloves and you are just as invisible as posting on the SASS wire.You can say things you would never in public or on a forum with your real name.

Meijer is one of our local grocery chains here , I went there the other day and they now have put directional arrows throughout the store on the floor . I’m assuming to help with social distancing. There were people just chewing on people going the wrong way , most people probably didn’t even notice them . We had a security guard get shot over face masks at a dollar store . This whole thing is making people more nuts than usual 

1 hour ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

98% don't have to be shut down for 2%.  The at risk should take protection.  Also Infection does not equate death. 

In my state almost 100% of death is 60 and above with obviously skewed heavily 80 and above for that number.

I wholeheartedly agree! There needs to be person responsibility and accountability when dealing with this virus. If you are a member of the low-risk segment of the population, you should not be hindered by government mandates to prevent you from going to work, making a living and keeping the economy rolling for those that are in the high-risk category. 

I had a conversation with our Mac Tool dealer this week. He takes care of his 80 year old mother. He understands that his risk of contracting and dying of from the virus is relatively low (he is in his mid 50s) but the risk of him contracting it and passing it onto his mother is high, so he is limiting contact with his accounts, only servicing those that call and need something. That is personal responsibility. 

At our shop, we are keeping the door locked, instructing our customers to call for service and asking vendors to leave their deliveries at the front garage door. Those vendors are coming from Omaha, Lincoln, Hays, and Grand Island (our state's hotspot). We are trying to prevent the transfer of the disease from them, to us, to our customers. Personal responsibility. 

We don't need the government telling us what we can and can't do. We don't need the government telling us we have to wear masks. Our can or can't go to church. Or can or can't shoot a cowboy match. This is absolutely ridiculous how so many in our society are happily trading their freedoms for some perceived safety.  I've got news! If you don't feel it is safe for you to go out, DON'T! If you feel sick, stay home. If you have to go out and are sick, put on a mask. Make the right decision yourself instead of relying on the "Gubment" to do it for you. 

2 hours ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Are you really going to equate the 1918 influenza with today?  Ridiculous.

Yes!

I regards to timelines and how things played out. Yes.

Only the ignorant...and politicians do not learn from history. 

Ignorant me will continue to stay away from sick people and wash my hands.

Those that must interact with the infected will use 95 masks to help protect themselves.

.06 - .14 microns for virus.  Keep wearing your old T shirt or bandana if you want.  

Come on out when we get to a level of past infection that stops the virus from transferring easily.

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Everyone here is wearing masks in public. They just forget about distance.

Lotsa people wearing them here too. Hate to rain on their parade, but any mask with the possible exception of the N95 is pretty much a joke, just makes people feel good. Talked at length about this with an old friend who's an MD and he agreed. He said a 0.1 micron virus can go thru masks as easily as a chain link fence.

I went to a couple stores yesterday, lots of masked people, VERY FEW wearing gloves. That's really about the only defense.

JHC

On 5/4/2020 at 8:48 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

When we get hit with a Second wave of people infected. 

They will be crying the blues that the quarantine has to start all over again .

I dont see much freedom for 2020 

So far most of the "experts" and their computer models have pretty much been fulla crap. Hope they continue to be wrong!

JHC

14 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Lotsa people wearing them here too. Hate to rain on their parade, but any mask with the possible exception of the N95 is pretty much a joke, just makes people feel good. Talked at length about this with an old friend who's an MD and he agreed. He said a 0.1 micron virus can go thru masks as easily as a chain link fence.

I went to a couple stores yesterday, lots of masked people, VERY FEW wearing gloves. That's really about the only defense.

JHC

Even if the filter media is good enough the seal to your face is like a bad joke . I worked in a chemical plant for 25 years , they had allot of different respirator styles to get a proper fit for different people. Plus we all had to be fit yearly . Our IH department got rid of dust masks 20 years ago because they said they do nothing. Just a false sense of security. 

Medical experts opinions seem to vary greatly on their effectiveness, I been wearing one in public to make other people feel better but I honestly don’t see how anything short of a properly fit respirator with the proper cartridges could be very effective 

N95 masks filter 95% of all particles 0.3 microns and larger. CoVid 19 measures 0.125 microns. But, the CoVid 19 doesn’t just float in the air. It rides moisture particulates to travel. Moisture particulates put into the air by someone  coughing, sneezing or even just talking.  Any barrier is a benefit to inhibiting moisture particles from immediately being inhaled or ingested. The problem is the pressure of a person breathing in and out moves the moisture particles through the filter media and if there are opening it takes the moisture droplets carrying the virus closer to the inside of the mask where it can eventually break free to enter the mouth or nose. The better the filter, the longer it takes to get through the media and enter the mouth or nose. 
Not sanitizing ones N95 mask every time it’s used or using one for a prolonged period is the same as wearing tee shirt material as a mask. 
Now, on to the eyes. From the start it was stated time and time again that the CoVid 19 had 5 “ports of entry” into the body:

1 - the mouth

2 - left nostril

3 - right nostril

4 - left eye 

5 - right eye

No one is talking about the eyes. Why? Perhaps it’s because they know the masks are only a makeshift dam to slow the river and the goal is not to stop the river, but to slow the current...perhaps. 

Most people do not have the mental discipline or the resources to do what would truly be necessary to “STOP” from becoming infected with a virus. I know I do not. All it takes is one little error in judgment or one little misstep to become infected when it comes to diseases. 

Everything we are doing is delaying the winning of a very bad lottery where the odds of you winning (losing, actually) are greatly enhanced. Dealing with microbes is playing the odds. The better you prepare the better your odds, but there are no guarantees when dealing with microbes...and the lottery. 

Forgot gloves. 
I have seen more silliness regarding the wearing of gloves than masks. People use the same pair of gloves over and over. They use gloves in stores but remove the gloves when exiting then proceed to handle all the items barehanded. I have watched people handle wallets, keys, phones, etc while wearing gloves then handle the same items without. I have heard people tell others that certain brands of gloves last longer and get more wearing than others. 
Gloves do no good unless you have a huge supply and you don and doff them properly every time you change locations and tasks. 
When going to the store, if one is truly conscientious one would go through at least 3 pairs of gloves then one would sanitize EVERYTHING they handled EVERY-TIME they handled it. 

Just my thoughts and opinions...

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

And another thing about the so-called experts...

It is entirely possible for well-intentioned, good-hearted, intelligent people to look at the exact same data sets and yet choose very different conclusions and recommendations.  And be perfectly justified by the data.

Again, we all come with our diverse biases and values, and individual sets of circumstances.  We have many in the Saloon who are of high risk categories, and rightfully advocate for extended society-wide isolations and enforced masking.  Yet these same individuals bristle at the notion of most anything else that impedes a personal liberty.  And it is perfectly okay to hold these seemingly diverse views within the same heart.

These are strange times.  We’re all venturing forward through a threat like nobody’s seen in our lifetime. We make choices and take steps, trying to find the new normal that works for us as individuals, families, and communities.

We will get there, friends.  In that, I have great faith.

I agree.

Archived