SASS Wire Forum

What size of shotgun shells run best thru the PW-87 or Chiappa 1887 Lever Action 12 Gauge Shotgun

Brian Wilson

2 hours ago, Brian Wilson said:

Can you have drop2 mod and also have access to the shotgun shells inside the shotgun tube for shooting?

yes. I can still load my tube after he did mine. As far as cost I think he charged me $250 and it also cost about $30 to ship it to him but if you send it with him from a match there's no shipping involved. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

^^THIS^^

All 4 of mine feed 2 3/4" shells just fine as long as I work the action properly.

The stock has to be short enough that the shooter can easily open the lever fully.

^^THIS TOO^^

If the stock is too long, you have to drop it off of your shoulder to really work the lever hard enough to clear the shell.

I've been afraid to cut mine, though.

"No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short."

You're asking about 2 different guns.  The Chiappa is a reproduction of the 10 ga. framed Winchester.  The IAC/PW's are reproductions of the 12 ga. frame.  All of them should be marked 2 3/4".  While Cap did borrow some stuff(hinged lever/lock and dual extractors) from later Winchesters for the IAC/PW's, they ARE NOT on a 10 gauge frame.  Barring a manufacturing issue, they will all run modern 2 3/4" ammo.  Some run them less well, but much of that is the price point quality you buy.  Cheap guns, sometimes theres good ones and bad ones and better ones.  More expensive guns tend to have less issues.  All on average of course.

There is no ejector per se.  Ejection for all of them, and for all but the last shell, is positive due to the next shell pushing/popping it out of the way.  For the last shell, it is dependent on the bolt coming to a solid stop at the end of the stroke, so that momentum pops the shell from the extractors.  Some shooters overcome the long throw by shortening the stock, I never found it necessary(and I'm no ginat among men)

Brass hulls will tend to "eject" better because they have more weight=momentum.  The downside, unless the mouth's are rolled or crimped pretty good, they may not feed well.

I'd suggest just trying some plastic hulled ammo in the gun you end up with before going down a rabbit hole on ammo.  Some cheap "promo" hulls may be more "sticky" on the extractors due to the base metal material and/or shape.  Some use aluminum/steel/brass coated whatever, etc.  further, some odd makes have weird rims.  Stick with good ammo and they'll probably run just fine, stuff like  AA's, STS's, Federal Metro, etc.

"smoothing action jobs" on an 87 are largely a waste of money unless you get a bad one(or a PW).  Not to say the IAC/PW can't use a little smoothing, but an 87 "pops open under spring pressure, after overcoming the first small amount of movement to unlock the bolt.(really)  Unless you get an "ugly one", most of the smoothing will literally take care of itself by cycling and shooting the gun.  The Chiappas don't need "smoothing", they are finished better....

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

yes. I can still load my tube after he did mine. As far as cost I think he charged me $250 and it also cost about $30 to ship it to him but if you send it with him from a match there's no shipping involved. 

Thanks for answering that one for me.  $250.00 for the drop 2 mod was cheaper than I thought.  I will have to initially have the action deburred and smoothed like glass because it is cheaper. In time i will get the drop 2 mod done for sure. My problem during this troubled times to find a gunsmith to do the work. Thus, I will find somebody to do the work soon. Have a good one.

2 hours ago, Brazos John said:

^^THIS TOO^^

If the stock is too long, you have to drop it off of your shoulder to really work the lever hard enough to clear the shell.

I've been afraid to cut mine, though.

"No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short."

I have heard of this about cutting the stock however my reach is good so I can throw the lever. It is understandable of not wanting to cut the stock.  Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

You're asking about 2 different guns.  The Chiappa is a reproduction of the 10 ga. framed Winchester.  The IAC/PW's are reproductions of the 12 ga. frame.  All of them should be marked 2 3/4".  While Cap did borrow some stuff(hinged lever/lock and dual extractors) from later Winchesters for the IAC/PW's, they ARE NOT on a 10 gauge frame.  Barring a manufacturing issue, they will all run modern 2 3/4" ammo.  Some run them less well, but much of that is the price point quality you buy.  Cheap guns, sometimes theres good ones and bad ones and better ones.  More expensive guns tend to have less issues.  All on average of course.

There is no ejector per se.  Ejection for all of them, and for all but the last shell, is positive due to the next shell pushing/popping it out of the way.  For the last shell, it is dependent on the bolt coming to a solid stop at the end of the stroke, so that momentum pops the shell from the extractors.  Some shooters overcome the long throw by shortening the stock, I never found it necessary(and I'm no ginat among men)

Brass hulls will tend to "eject" better because they have more weight=momentum.  The downside, unless the mouth's are rolled or crimped pretty good, they may not feed well.

I'd suggest just trying some plastic hulled ammo in the gun you end up with before going down a rabbit hole on ammo.  Some cheap "promo" hulls may be more "sticky" on the extractors due to the base metal material and/or shape.  Some use aluminum/steel/brass coated whatever, etc.  further, some odd makes have weird rims.  Stick with good ammo and they'll probably run just fine, stuff like  AA's, STS's, Federal Metro, etc.

"smoothing action jobs" on an 87 are largely a waste of money unless you get a bad one(or a PW).  Not to say the IAC/PW can't use a little smoothing, but an 87 "pops open under spring pressure, after overcoming the first small amount of movement to unlock the bolt.(really)  Unless you get an "ugly one", most of the smoothing will literally take care of itself by cycling and shooting the gun.  The Chiappas don't need "smoothing", they are finished better....

I appreciate on giving me some sound advice and education.  I did purchase RST 2.5 inch shells that will be here this week, however I will look the suggestions for 12 gauge shells and go from there. Furthermore, sometime down the road I will have the drop 2 mod done when my finances are better. Finally, I will buy a Chiappa and have the drop 2 done on that as well. Thanks for your input. Have a good evening.

46 minutes ago, Brian Wilson said:

Thanks for answering that one for me.  $250.00 for the drop 2 mod was cheaper than I thought.  I will have to initially have the action deburred and smoothed like glass because it is cheaper. In time i will get the drop 2 mod done for sure. My problem during this troubled times to find a gunsmith to do the work. Thus, I will find somebody to do the work soon. Have a good one.

I deburred mine. really simple to do but even after getting it back from Lassiter it had been polished up in different places and much better than I had done. 

52 minutes ago, Brian Wilson said:

I appreciate on giving me some sound advice and education.  I did purchase RST 2.5 inch shells that will be here this week, however I will look the suggestions for 12 gauge shells and go from there. Furthermore, sometime down the road I will have the drop 2 mod done when my finances are better. Finally, I will buy a Chiappa and have the drop 2 done on that as well. Thanks for your input. Have a good evening.

Try handling a couple of them before you buy.  The Chiappa is a beautiful gun, but it's a monster compared to the IAC.  I could never get used to the extra size and weight.  Bigger and heavier.  It's also probably going to be about twice the cost.  Ask around your local shoots or post in the classifieds here on the Wire, a wanted to buy.  A fair number of people get these and then find out its not for them, you might find one ready to go with the "load 2" already done...

Deuce makes it look so easy....

2 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Try handling a couple of them before you buy.  The Chiappa is a beautiful gun, but it's a monster compared to the IAC.  I could never get used to the extra size and weight.  Bigger and heavier.  It's also probably going to be about twice the cost.  Ask around your local shoots or post in the classifieds here on the Wire, a wanted to buy.  A fair number of people get these and then find out its not for them, you might find one ready to go with the "load 2" already done...

I would like to try a Chiappa big time. You are correct the price is not cheap. In matter of fact , the lowest price I found on a new Chiappa Lever Action Shotgun was about $1100.00 dollars. Thus, I will take a look at the wire because if I could find this gun gently used with a drop 2 mod for a lot cheaper I would look at that seriously. You mentioned about the weight of the Chiappa and that is something to think about. Anyway I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When you get around to buying the Chiappa buy it from Lassiter. Will save you some money and it helps out a great cowboy gun smith.

I have not considered that  aspect. That is a very interesting option that I will look at for sure. Thanks for the tips.

12 hours ago, Brian Wilson said:

I have not considered that  aspect. That is a very interesting option that I will look at for sure. Thanks for the tips.

I found that by the time I bought one and sent it to Lassiter it was actually a little cheaper just to buy it from him . 

On 5/3/2020 at 10:31 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have only run all brass 2.5" though mine.   No problems.

Do you feel like the brass gives you more reliable ejection than a plastic hull ? 

Archived