SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Boogie Titanium carrier experience

Fireball #7709 Life

Might contact Snake Oil George.  He had some from Shotgun Boogie.  

What is the benefit of a titanium carrier, in real terms, other than reducing the overall weight of the gun?

Cat Brules

48 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Might contact Snake Oil George.  He had some from Shotgun Boogie.  

Had some, does that mean he's selling them or is using them?

37 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Purly also shoots one, and swears by his.

Purly swears at a lot of things! :D

Kajun

22 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What is the benefit of a titanium carrier, in real terms, other than reducing the overall weight of the gun?

Cat Brules

Well Cat, that's why I posted asking for real use feedback...  I suspect, Ti being harder, it should wear less, probably be the last carrier you'd ever buy.  They are reported to be around or slightly lighter than a lightened brass carrier.  Probably the coolest, most useless part, it should have a distinctive ring, like brass, but probably higher?LOL  Oh, and they can be colored cool too.:rolleyes:  I was hoping someone who's used them would chime in about how carbon and BP fouling stick to them.  Maybe them what have them, are too shy to admit they spent that much for a carrier? :P

12 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Purly swears at a lot of things! :D

Kajun

Most of the time at me! But not his rifle.

I don't have a shotgun boogie one but I do run a titanium carrier in one rifle.   They run nice,  buildup is less.  It will ruin your frame before it wears out

Just now, evil dogooder said:

I don't have a shotgun boogie one but I do run a titanium carrier in one rifle.   They run nice,  buildup is less.  It will ruin your frame before it wears out

Where did you get yours?  Pic?

I have one in both my rifles. I have a drawer full of brass and aluminum carriers that gave me problems. One I have run for  2 years the other one 1 year. If I was buying another carrier it would be another titanium one. Not sure it will help with build up/fouling.  That's probably more in your ammo. 

2 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I made it.  I work at a CNC shop.  I'll take a pic when I get home 

Purly: what did they do better than the brass ones? I can see if some of the angles are wrong and mess up your ejection, or are too tight and fouling makes them stick, but not sure how the change in material would make much difference except be lighter. Personally, I would rather the carrier wear out before my receiver, much cheaper to replace.

4 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Brass, alloy, hardcoated aluminum and titanium 

20200505_181432.jpg

58 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Purly: what did they do better than the brass ones? I can see if some of the angles are wrong and mess up your ejection, or are too tight and fouling makes them stick, but not sure how the change in material would make much difference except be lighter. Personally, I would rather the carrier wear out before my receiver, much cheaper to replace.

I was replacing a carrier about every 6 months. I went to the titanium carriers and haven't replaced a carrier in 2 + years. I can't tell any difference in the weight. If you shoot a lot and are replacing carriers I would spend the money and get titanium. Mine don't show any wear. Fouling, I clean my guns every time after I shoot it. Clean runs better.

4 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Well Cat, that's why I posted asking for real use feedback...  I suspect, Ti being harder, it should wear less, probably be the last carrier you'd ever buy.  They are reported to be around or slightly lighter than a lightened brass carrier.  Probably the coolest, most useless part, it should have a distinctive ring, like brass, but probably higher?LOL  Oh, and they can be colored cool too.:rolleyes:  I was hoping someone who's used them would chime in about how carbon and BP fouling stick to them.  Maybe them what have them, are too shy to admit they spent that much for a carrier? :P

Do people have problems with the aluminum ones wearing out ? I haven’t seen any weight comparisons between aluminum and ti

4 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

How will a titanium carrier ruin your rifle frame/receiver?

I still have the original brass carrier in my Win’73 clone and I’ve never had a failure of any kind with my rifle.

In what manner did your original brass carrier fail, which I assume was the reason to switch to an aluminum carrier?  Why then, switch to aluminum from brass, then to titanium?

..... So, in what way does a carrier fail?  

EDIT:  These topics usually leave me with a lot of questions, which of course, is frustrating.

Cat Brules

15 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I haven’t seen any weight comparisons between aluminum and ti

For comparison, a 1" round bar, 1" long.

Brass= .2417 lbs

aluminum= .0792 lb

Ti=.1279 lb

16 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

I'm not sure fail is the right word.  Most carriers will probably work forever in the role the gun was originally intended for.  Start trying to run hundreds/thousands of rounds through them sub 4 sec for 10 and things need to be pretty right and tight.

Brass and aluminum peen where the rims hit, the track the lifter arm runs in will both wear and peen, the outside dimension of the carrier wear and will eventually allow it to rock front to back, the ramp get's chewed up....all things that, for a rifle that was used for hunting say, would never be noticed.  these are all things that will eventually slow you down at best, or tie up the gun and make it inoperable at worst in a match setting.

10 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

How will a titanium carrier ruin your rifle frame/receiver?

I still have the original brass carrier in my Win’73 clone and I’ve never had a failure of any kind with my rifle.

In what manner did your original brass carrier fail, which I assume was the reason to switch to an aluminum carrier?  Why then, switch to aluminum from brass, then to titanium?

EDIT:  These topics usually leave me with a lot of questions, which of course, is frustrating.

Cat Brules

My first 73 I bought was used pretty hard,  it  had a wore out jb welded aluminum one in it.  

Never shot a rifle with a stock brass one in it.  

As for the titanium.   I measured the frame dimensions when I installed it.  After roughly 120k cycles it has opened up a little.  While the carrier hasn't changed

3 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

My first 73 I bought was used pretty hard,  it  had a wore out jb welded aluminum one in it.  

Never shot a rifle with a stock brass one in it.  

As for the titanium.   I measured the frame dimensions when I installed it.  After roughly 120k cycles it has opened up a little.  While the carrier hasn't changed

What alloy of Ti did you make yours from ED? We used mostly Ti4Al in orthopedics, fairly high aluminum content.

Trying to run sub 2 seconds with thousands of cycles is hard on parts

Archived