SASS Wire Forum

Irony...

Three Foot Johnson

Today, I had a club president tell me my '94 Marlin .25-20 wasn't legal because it's not a pistol caliber... while he was shooting a Marlin shotgun in the same match... :lol:

But wait, it's not the first time it's happened -

Several years ago, I had another club president tell me my .56-.50 wasn't legal because it wasn't a pistol caliber... while he was shooting two fixed sight revolvers in Modern...  :lol:

All in fun, guys, don't take me out back of the coal shed at the next match!

6 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Today, I had a club president tell me my '94 Marlin .25-20 wasn't legal because it's not a pistol caliber... while he was shooting a Marlin shotgun in the same match... :lol:

Several years ago, I had another club president tell me my .56-.50 wasn't legal because it wasn't a pistol caliber... while he was shooting two fixed sight revolvers in Modern...  :lol:

Boy, you either have a great memory or you don't get over things easily.:D

How was the shoot today?

:lol:

Good shoot, kind of chilly with that wind though. The .25-20 made it through all 6 stages. If you remember, I only got one shot off with it last weekend. The ejector housing went downrange on one of my revolvers - found all but the screw. I probably have another one in the parts box.

WB yesterday was hot enough to get ya sweating - the hi/low on my thermometer said it got to 32 Friday night, and 80 Saturday, then down to 44 last night. Where were you??

27 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

:lol:

Good shoot, kind of chilly with that wind though. The .25-20 made it through all 6 stages. If you remember, I only got one shot off with it last weekend. The ejector housing went downrange on one of my revolvers - found all but the screw. I probably have another one in the parts box.

WB yesterday was hot enough to get ya sweating - the hi/low on my thermometer said it got to 32 Friday night, and 80 Saturday, then down to 44 last night. Where were you??

Couldn't shoot yesterday as I had already committed to helping with the MRSA's ladies group.  Today I had to many jobs I had to clear up.

Glad your 25-20 ran OK.  When you come up for the May shoot we'll do 25-20's on one of the days.

Shot my first match with a Marlin 1894 in 25-20.  At first they said no. But then they checked the rules as I requested and found it was allowed. 

525771029_Marlin1894groundhowg2019.jpg.d0d4c9763f935194cc7250cfb0970e48.jpg

This is the rifle. Ironically,  far more cowboy era than the Italian replicas they were shooting in chambers that were not available pre-1900 rifles. 

It's a risk you take when shooting non-mainstream, off-the-wall stuff. I've had people tell me my Darne shotgun isn't legal because it has "ejectors". Some do, some don't, but what they're trying to call ejectors are full-length extractors. The ejector versions also have spring-loaded plungers on the breech face that eject the empties off to each side when they clear the chamber.

We found a rule book, and he was a bit surprised to see it was indeed a legal cartridge. I mean, really, how often does someone show up with a .25-20? :lol:

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Well...

A club President using a Marlin Shotgun (illegal equipment) loses his moral high ground on any ruling.

But, I'm pretty sure MODERN simply "allowed" the use of adjustable sighted handguns - I'm not sure it required their use.

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

We found a rule book, and he was a bit surprised to see it was indeed a legal cartridge. I mean, really, how often does someone show up with a .25-20? :lol:

If this “club president” accused you of using illegal ammunition, don’t you think he should have had a current rule book in hand to refer to before coming to you during a match and raising such a distracting issue?

Cat Brules

16 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

If this “club president” accused you of using illegal ammunition, don’t you think he should have had a current rule book in hand to refer to before coming to you during a match and raising such a distracting issue?

Cat Brules

I'm not sure this club is even SASS-affiliated anymore, so technically it could hardly even be called a Cowboy Action Shoot. :lol: But it's great to get out after this C-19 quarantine and get some practice in for the Montana State Shoot way up at Black Horse (Great Falls) in July. Really looking forward to their season opener soon - 120 miles up there, but well worth the trip. I've had enough of this lockdown. :)

Sounds like it was more like shooing flies.

As far as getting back out, I’m still staying in here at the ranch.

Cat Brules

I hear ya - about ten days ago, I had to go to town for a money order and realized it had been 42 days since I had gone farther than my mailbox a mile and a half away at the west end of the place. The first time I laid eyes on another person or heard a live human voice (as opposed to on the telephone) in forty two days! Then another realization that, since I retired, this is pretty much how I live anymore anyway. :lol:

Soooo looking forward to the Cowboy Action clubs starting up again. :)

31 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

They Still doing the Montana State Shoot , I may have to Amble down that way ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Hi Jabez

Yes the Montana SASS state Championship is still on, July 16-19

Jeb

Archived