SASS Wire Forum

Fitting a base pin

Dantankerous

I have a new Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special and bought a Belt Mountain base pin for it. I have Belt Mountain base pins in all my Rugers. All the other times I have installed one of these they have slid in, no trouble. However, this one is needing to be fit as it will not completely slide into place. There is maybe 3/8" left until it seats.

I was thinking about putting something on a drill shaft and polishing the base pin channel on the front of the receiver to try and either de burr, polish or maybe even open it up .001 or so. 

The pin does go in far enough I can see it is not off center with the base pin hole in the front of the frame, just seems to be a fitting issue at the front of the frame.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to use? What not to use?

base pin.jpg

#1, fit the pin to the gun, not the gun to the pin.  Leave the hole in the frame alone.

#2, go SLOW.  Like 600 grit paper held around the pin In your fingers and turn it a few times then test.  I wouldn’t use any power tools.  May take a while, but better than removing too much metal.

Have fun!

Mike the pin. I bet it is getting tight in the back, unless the pin is bigger in the front.

Yep, mic the pin.  Do it in several places and twice at each point at 90 degrees.  Find the high points.   Mark the points with  a Sharpie or paint pen.

As others said,  use very fine sandpaper. emory cloth, or red Scotch Brite.

Likely you will be removing only a couple of tenths of a thou.  Go slowly.  But I would suggest ckucking it into a drill so it will turn on center, then wrap your abrasive on a narrow stick so you have better control. 

Send the pin back and get a replacement. Does that particular pin fit any of your other guns? If not, it’s definitely the pin.

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Send the pin back and get a replacement. Does that particular pin fit any of your other guns? If not, it’s definitely the pin.

My time has been extremely limited lately so I've not been able to try it in another gun but the week prior I had ordered a Power Custom base pin from Midway and it did not fit either so I sent it back thinking it was an anomaly. As my Belt Mountain does not fit I'm thinking its the gun.

When I get home tonight I will see if the base pin fits anything else I have.

Edit:

Got home and tried fitting this new pin to to other guns I have and it almost fits in one and doesn't even start in the other. Two identical OMVs. Kind of tells me these frame holes are all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What’s the advantage of a Belt Mountain pin over a Ruger pin?

Supposed to be a tiny bit larger which obviously they are, and take up some of the cylinder play. Make the gun just a tad tighter.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yep, mic the pin.  Do it in several places and twice at each point at 90 degrees.  Find the high points.   Mark the points with  a Sharpie or paint pen.

As others said,  use very fine sandpaper. emory cloth, or red Scotch Brite.

Likely you will be removing only a couple of tenths of a thou.  Go slowly.  But I would suggest ckucking it into a drill so it will turn on center, then wrap your abrasive on a narrow stick so you have better control. 

OK, so I miked and it's actually .001 larger at the end of the pin that easily fits. .250 at the recoil shield end, slides in easy. .249 at the side that gets stuck. Whaaaaat?

Maybe it's the larger head tolerance since the pin mikes OK?

20200503_203224.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you have access to a .250 dia reamer?

'Chase' both openings in the frame.

OLG 

I do not, thus my original question. Looking for suggestions.

16 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

OK, so I miked and it's actually .001 larger at the end of the pin that easily fits. .250 at the recoil shield end, slides in easy. .249 at the side that gets stuck. Whaaaaat?

Maybe it's the larger head tolerance since the pin mikes OK?

20200503_203224.jpg

Mic the barrel where the head of the pin hangs up.  I wonder if there is a swell of a thou or two.

Also compare the head of your after market pin to the original pin.   I'm thinking that the original pin had a tolerance built into it to allow for a few thou of difference in barrel diameter that your after market pin doesn't have.

Just now, Dantankerous said:

I do not, thus my original question. Looking for suggestions.

Buy one because the frame holes are not aligned.

Common issue I have found in fitting Belt Mtn pins over the years.

I use a .2505" dia 6 flute 'pull' reamer.

OLG 

Archived