SASS Wire Forum

Breaking Open SKB Problem

Major Pain

I'm looking for some help to answer questions about opening my SKB SxS.  When I insert two rounds and close the gun and then open before firing off the rounds, the shotgun breaks open like with ease.  However, after I fire off the two rounds, the breech will not open at all un less I take my off hand and slap the barrels about half way down.  Opens smoothly when cocked, hard to open after firing.  Has anyone had this problem and/or knows why this is happening and what the fix may be?  Hate to be a, "Pain" on this nice Sunday, but any help appreciated.

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Firing pins are stuck in the primers?

That's what it sounds like.

Thanks.  So they don't retract?

Check on your shells and see if you see any drag marks on the side of the primer to indicate the firing pins are the problem. L C Smiths don't have retractable firing pins either, but I shortened them just enough so that they open easily now with 100% ignition.

It's either sticking firing pins or  the fact that after you fire you have to cock the main springs when opening the barrels. That takes extra pressure to open because it

is cocking the main springs.

J.M.

2 friends have same problem with WW LRLN    Ok with reloads     Does on my BSS, too    GW  

I've seen Stoegers do that with steel based cheapy shells or also slightly mushroomed firing pins. Try some AA's and see if you have the same issue.

I have a friend that cannot use aa Winchester in her browning. The pins stick into the primers too far. Remington STS are no problem. Try several different kinds of ammo first 

Try putting a tiny amount of lubricant on the ends of the FPs and see if the gun opens with any less force.  If the force is reduced even a small amount, you've likely identified the problem.  Then start the search for harder primers, or evaluate if the FPs can be stoned shorter without sacrificing reliable ignition, (are fired primers unusually deeply hit or perforated?) or maybe try just polishing the ends of the FPs, if their surface appears rough.  If you modify the firing pins, work s-l-o-w-l-y and test frequently--making the minimum change needed to get the gun to open.  It's almost always easier to take metal off than to put it back on.  

4 hours ago, Major Pain said:

I'm looking for some help to answer questions about opening my SKB SxS.  When I insert two rounds and close the gun and then open before firing off the rounds, the shotgun breaks open like with ease.  However, after I fire off the two rounds, the breech will not open at all un less I take my off hand and slap the barrels about half way down.  Opens smoothly when cocked, hard to open after firing.  Has anyone had this problem and/or knows why this is happening and what the fix may be?  Hate to be a, "Pain" on this nice Sunday, but any help appreciated.

I had that problem with Winchester AA Light Target shells, switched to Remington STS and haven't had any more problems.

Randy

Had the same problem with an SKB 100.  Suspected firing pin problem, mushroomed tips, confirmed by sending pix to Dirt Merchant.  Disassembled the shotgun (scary but I did it) dressed down the tips of the firing pins.  Problem solved.

I suggest sending pix of firing pins and fired primers to one of our fine cowboy gunsmiths for a consultation.

SKB's retract hammers as the barrels start to drop.  If your timing is off and the cocking levers need work check by firing 2 loaded shells then force the barrels (as you say) open. Examine the primer dents if they are teer dropped this may be the issue.  Try dry firing without anything in the barrel, does it open the same? This may indicate another issue.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

That's what it sounds like.

Listen to this^^^^^^^^^

On 5/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, Major Pain said:

Thanks.  So they don't retract?

Archived