SASS Wire Forum

Jerry can

Is the old style still available to buy new? I have decided get a couple to carry on longer trips but all I can seem to find are the NATO cans. I did order 2 yellow Wavians for diesel I have 1 older one that is old style but cant seem find them anymore.

:ph34r:  Depends on where you live.  Wavians are good, and the currently 'politically correct' and allowable to use.  The original USGI version is not acceptable to the EPA folks in several states.  California is only one.  I used to sell US cans, then they were outlawed for sale.  Used to get and sell gaskets, spouts and replacement caps.  No longer allowed for sale in California, so suppliers not allowed to sell them to me.

Had a like-minded vendor in Colorado who would send spouts and gaskets for a while, but then quit with the lament that "They're tracking them now, so I can't sell them to you anymore."

I wondered who the "they" in government was with the time and misplaced energy to waste my tax dollars monitoring sales of useful items in interstate commerce......

You need relatives in one of the (dwindling) free states.  IIRC, there are now about 14 or so states gleefully restricting our rights in this regard.

Wavian is pretty good. I've got some NATO cans from a local surplus store, they are almost identical to the Wavian cans, different manufacturers but the spouts match up so I can use the commercial Wavian spouts. There is a diffeence between fuel cans and water cans, they are not interchangeable. The NATO surplus cans vary in quality depending on the vendor. The ones I have were $34.95. I do not buy used cans sight unseen because you never know what you are going to get, LOL. I inspect the interior to make sure the liner is intact and that the cap seals properly. I also try to match what was in them before but cleaning them is no big deal. The German ones I've been getting are marked with what they had in them before, gas or diesel So I went with that and then added markings so I don't put gas in the diesel or vice versa.....LOL.

23 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Depends on where you live.  Wavians are good, and the currently 'politically correct' and allowable to use.  The original USGI version is not acceptable to the EPA folks in several states.  California is only one.  I used to sell US cans, then they were outlawed for sale.  Used to get and sell gaskets, spouts and replacement caps.  No longer allowed for sale in California, so suppliers not allowed to sell them to me.

Had a like-minded vendor in Colorado who would send spouts and gaskets for a while, but then quit with the lament that "They're tracking them now, so I can't sell them to you anymore."

I wondered who the "they" in government was with the time and misplaced energy to waste my tax dollars monitoring sales of useful items in interstate commerce......

You need relatives in one of the (dwindling) free states.  IIRC, there are now about 14 or so states gleefully restricting our rights in this regard.

I’m in Texas one of the more free states at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Wavian is pretty good. I've got some NATO cans from a local surplus store, they are almost identical to the Wavian cans, different manufacturers but the spouts match up so I can use the commercial Wavian spouts. There is a diffeence between fuel cans and water cans, they are not interchangeable. The NATO surplus cans vary in quality depending on the vendor. The ones I have were $34.95. I do not buy used cans sight unseen because you never know what you are going to get, LOL. I inspect the interior to make sure the liner is intact and that the cap seals properly. I also try to match what was in them before but cleaning them is no big deal. The German ones I've been getting are marked with what they had in them before, gas or diesel So I went with that and then added markings so I don't put gas in the diesel or vice versa.....LOL.

I can find old used ones on eBay but I agree sight unseen I’m going to pass. I got a water can made by scepter. When I was in we marked all the cans for what to use them for but never failed a grunt would mix them up. I guess the big words on all 4 sides was not easy to see on them green cans. As mixing if I use all diesel in can 5 gallon of gas won’t be effected. Learned this from experience. Also learned half can of diesel topped of with gas will definitely be a problem. So just in case I don’t start acting like green recruit I’m getting different colors for each purpose. Yellow diesel red gas maybe I can tell difference :lol:

5 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I can find old used ones on eBay but I agree sight unseen I’m going to pass. I got a water can made by scepter. When I was in we marked all the cans for what to use them for but never failed a grunt would mix them up. I guess the big words on all 4 sides was not easy to see on them green cans. As mixing if I use all diesel in can 5 gallon of gas won’t be effected. Learned this from experience. Also learned half can of diesel topped of with gas will definitely be a problem. So just in case I don’t start acting like green recruit I’m getting different colors for each purpose. Yellow diesel red gas maybe I can tell difference :lol:

LOL. Lister bags. Remember them? Ours always had a musty/moldy taste. Water buffalos were either diesel flavored or mogas LOL. 5 gal water cans had different spouts than fuel cans and were clearly marked. Yeah, wasn't unusual. You always smelled before you poured. The "new" scepter water cans are better. Hard to see how anybody could mix'em up but if they can use the wrong fuel in an M1941 stove, hummer, APC, the odd assorted helicopter or cargo plane probably got fueled with the wrong stuff filling cans wasn't so hard a mistake. I've heard the B-52 actually has a type rating to use diesel/fuel oil but I don't know that personally....I was Army and they wouldn't let us play with the big-boy toys.....probably just as well.:lol:

1 hour ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Hmmm......we were told it was red for gasoline, green for diesel and yellow for kerosene.  I forget what blue was for.

They always say.... "The memory is the second thing to go"!

8 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

LOL. Lister bags. Remember them? Ours always had a musty/moldy taste. Water buffalos were either diesel flavored or mogas LOL. 5 gal water cans had different spouts than fuel cans and were clearly marked. Yeah, wasn't unusual. You always smelled before you poured. The "new" scepter water cans are better. Hard to see how anybody could mix'em up but if they can use the wrong fuel in an M1941 stove, hummer, APC, the odd assorted helicopter or cargo plane probably got fueled with the wrong stuff filling cans wasn't so hard a mistake. I've heard the B-52 actually has a type rating to use diesel/fuel oil but I don't know that personally....I was Army and they wouldn't let us play with the big-boy toys.....probably just as well.:lol:

Yup I know how that is. At least we had a doc that was quite obsessive over water buffalo so it wasn’t bad.

6 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Hmmm......we were told it was red for gasoline, green for diesel and yellow for kerosene.  I forget what blue was for.

Officially blue is kerosene and water difference is metal vs plastic. Mouth opening and spout systems are completely different. Green is color used by military black no specific designation. I think it is marketing plus if someone is storing large amounts of different fuels gives the another choice for quick identification 

Meaning Behind The Colors

Wavian fuel cans come in five different colors, but it's not all just good looks. Fuel and oil cans are color coded to designate their contents. Read more to learn about each color.

RED || This is the most common color for fuel cans, as it is widely used for flammable liquids such as gasoline (American English) or petrol (British English). As we all know, gas is a colorless petroleum-derived flammable liquid that is used primarily as a fuel in spark-ignited internal combustion engines.

BLUE || Blue is often designated for kerosene. Kerosene is widely used to power jet engines of aircraft (jet fuel) and some rocket engines and is also commonly used as a cooking and lighting fuel, and for fire toys such as poi. In parts of Asia, kerosene is sometimes used as fuel for small outboard motors or even motorcycles

YELLOW || Yellow is the color reserved for diesel fuel containers. Diesel fuel, in general, is any liquid fuel used in diesel engines, whose fuel ignition takes place, without any spark, as a result of compression of the inlet air mixture and then injection of fuel.

GREEN || Straight green is often used for the storage of oils. However, in the case of our OD green fuel cans, the color is made to match the military green, or "olive drab" color found on military vehicles.

BLACK || This is a non-designated color made purely for aesthetic purposes. In all cases, please check your local laws and be sure to coordinate with other users of the fuel cans with their designations and contents.

Archived