SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of Western art

Not that we were but.....

I have two favorites (of the modern era)

James Ayers 

Carrie Ballantyne

My wife got me an Ayers print a while back. Not cheap but worth it in my book. :wub:

UB, 

I like Gary Carter. He had a studio in West Yellowstone, MT back in the 80’s. I don’t know what his status is now.  Carter has painted Native Americans (before they knew they were Americans), Mountain Men, Cowboys and Cattle Barons. 

Back then we went to Yellowstone National Park and I bought a numbered print of his, titled “No Second Chance”. The picture portrays a winter scene of a Mountain Man contemplating a shot at a group of Elk. Maybe his only chance for meat in a long winter in the mountains.

The framed print hangs in my study as a reminder of good times and younger days.

http://www.garycarterwesternartist.com/

My favorite would have to be Buck Taylor. Yes, the actor. Mrs. Doc got me one of his works titled "Ranch Horses" some years back, and he autographed it for me. It hangs on the wall in our bedroom.

3 minutes ago, DocWard said:

My favorite would have to be Buck Taylor. Yes, the actor. Mrs. Doc got me one of his works titled "Ranch Horses" some years back, and he autographed it for me. It hangs on the wall in our bedroom.

I have met Buck many times over the last 25 years. Really nice guy and a great artist. We have 3 of his prints.

My wife and I love Southwestern Art and among ours we have two embellished giclees pieces by Charles Pabst. 

This one is over our couch in the living area. Photo was taken in the gallery where we bought it.

"Sandia Sunset"

ypzUjn.jpg

This is in the niche going into our hall.

"Taos Enchantment."

D0y0vT.jpg

I love bronzes and this one's by Raymond Gibby.  Of our bronzes, this is my favorite.  It "talked to me" the first time I saw it but it took me over two years to finally decide to buy it. 

The piece sits on our coffee table and I enjoy it every day.  It still talks to me.  Dimensions, not including wood base, are 14" x 9".

"Receiving Strength" by Raymond Gibby. 

RWDKrc.jpg

Archived